What's new

Received first straight razor... now a waiting game.

After lurking in the straight razor section for a while, I thought I might just try my hand at this skill. Ordered a 5/8 Imperial square point from whipped dog last week. It came in yesterday, but now I think I should wait a while to use it. The main reason is I'm going out of town this weekend and don't want a torn-up face to put a damper on my good time. :blush: So now I'm resigned to just look at this impressive implement and wait til I come home next week to give it a go.

Boy am I nervous about it, I should know better than to trust my clumsy self w/ these things.:lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just do 1 or 2 passes WTG only, you will be fine. :thumbup1:

Stick to the easy parts on your cheeks and finish up with whatever shaving implement you were using before. It really is not that hard and it gets a bit easier with every further attempt.

i say wait, but not too long... enjoy the weekend and get yourself ready. no reason to rush in... it is a daunting task at first.. so take small steps a s necessary. I am realist in shaving.. If I don't have time, am tired, or generally don't feel like shaving I don't push myself... make straight shaving enjoyable and you'll want to do it again soon... if it isn't enjoyable and you get a bad shave, whats the point?

edit:
it depends on your zealousness.. if you are a bit uncomfortable I say wait..

Last edited:
If you look at 100 yo photos you'll notice that the men all have their noses & ears intact. And no obvious scars.
So straights worked back in the days at least :biggrin:

Take it slow & concentrate & you'll do fine, good luck!

Top Bottom