What's new

Alum powder into alum block?

No. Alum blocks are whole crystals, whereas the powdered alum has been ground up. If you tried to wet the powder to make it into a block (it would really be more of an alum "clump"), you would probably end up with a very acidic mess.

I've used powdered alum for many years. I just stick a wet finger into it. I don't like the block as I only use alum sparingly for the occasional weeper. Rub it on, let it dry, then brush it off. For larger nicks, you can make a little paste.

I've been using alum for years and it's never done anything to stop bleeding no matter how minor. It's an astringent. That's what a styptic stick is for. As far as cost goes you can buy a block for very little from Tolumba and the stuff lasts forever.

I've been using alum for years and it's never done anything to stop bleeding no matter how minor. It's an astringent. That's what a styptic stick is for. As far as cost goes you can buy a block for very little from Tolumba and the stuff lasts forever.

An astringent tightens the skin and might stop small (TINY) cuts, no? They do for me, but if I get anything but a minuscule bleed, it does nothing, unless I keep reapplying for a LONG time.

My dad always taught me to put saliva on small cuts or bleeds. Works pretty well if it's a small nick. I saw an Italian barber recommend it as well here the other night. This means licking your finger or putting a little spit on it, if anything was unclear.

Is there any reason you need a single crystal? Why not use a little water and heat the alum and water, till disolved and pour into a small container that you can get the block out of like a silicone muffin tin? You should get a mass of crystals growing onto each other that is solid, but many crystals joined together.

Phil

Top Bottom