View Poll Results: Bigfoot: fact or fiction

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fact

    16 26.23%
  • Fiction

    32 52.46%
  • Art is Bigfoot

    13 21.31%
  • Phil Really does Believe !!!!!

    0 0%
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1017

Thread: Bigfoot Fact or Fiction

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    5,039

    Default

    Really couldn't say, but that's somebody who really needs a razor! - Blade Boy
    "Life's too short for pipes that gurgle"

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    oHIo
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    Has anyone seen star wars? I mean come on guys Chewbaccas gotta be big foot, Peter Mayhew admitted he never put the shag carpet suit on. Mayhew was brought on to do the Holly Wood circuit because big foot refused to sign autographs.
    [B][U][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Brian[/FONT][/U][/B]

    [COLOR="blue"]A teaspoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down :001_tt2:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="green"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Be sure to visit THE NIB for all your pen and ink ADs.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][URL="http://www.info-komen.org/site/TR?pg=fund&fr_id=1120&pxfid=149874"][B][COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="3"]2011 Soap For Hope[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/URL][/FONT]

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    12,074
    Images
    45

    Default

    Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

    I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

  4. #164
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Far Far north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    39,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

    I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.
    I thought Dark Matter was the non-breast portions of the Thanksgiving Turkey.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Hub o' the Universe
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

    I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.
    Do you believe that black holes exist? No one has ever 'seen' one and they can never be reliably measured or directly observed. Yet, mathematical models can very precisely predict their structure and their effects on surrounding matter, and there are many photos that show matter cycling around some central opaque entity.

    Are people who believe in black holes also quacks?

    And while the debate about dark matter and dark energy is certainly controversial, the theory that these dark entites exists is at least based on analysis using the verified laws of physics as their foundational basis. The underlying assumptions may ultimately be proven incorrect (i.e., there may be a lot more matter in the universe than scientists currently predict), but at least they're using observable data (i.e., estimates of how much matter there really is based on the number of galaxies and stars we can see at the moment).

    Compare this to the lack of any kind of even remotely plausible scientific evidence to support any so-called paranormal activity (and the huge number of frauds and hucksters operating in this field) and I think one has to differentiate between scientific theorists and true quacks.

    The difference between quacks and reputable scientific theorists is that the latter, when faced with evidence or better supported explanations, will toss aside their theories, although certainly not without a fight.

    Quacks, on the other hand, will always insist that they're right, no matter how little evidence they present or how much their assertions are discredited.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ & The Fortress of Solitude
    Posts
    44,148
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raisindot View Post
    The difference between quacks and reputable scientific theorists is that the latter, when faced with evidence or better supported explanations, will toss aside their theories, although certainly not without a fight.

    Quacks, on the other hand, will always insist that they're right, no matter how little evidence they present or how much their assertions are discredited.
    A good scientist should welcome new explanations, even if it destroys their own research and theories. That's how science works.
    Director of the B&B Stjynnkii Membörd Dummpsjterd.

    Badger & Blade- the most reasonable place on Earth.

    Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

    I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.
    Dude you can call me a quack. I heard something that night and I choose to believe. If that makes me a quack so be it. I have painted my head green and now wear a beak and webbed feet.
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  8. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    A good scientist should welcome new explanations, even if it destroys their own research and theories. That's how science works.
    Holy cow Jay. That was a reasonable normal comment...............from you.............in a Bigfoot thread? It will probably get discovered this weekend.
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  9. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    12,074
    Images
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raisindot View Post
    Do you believe that black holes exist? No one has ever 'seen' one and they can never be reliably measured or directly observed. Yet, mathematical models can very precisely predict their structure and their effects on surrounding matter, and there are many photos that show matter cycling around some central opaque entity.

    Are people who believe in black holes also quacks?

    And while the debate about dark matter and dark energy is certainly controversial, the theory that these dark entites exists is at least based on analysis using the verified laws of physics as their foundational basis. The underlying assumptions may ultimately be proven incorrect (i.e., there may be a lot more matter in the universe than scientists currently predict), but at least they're using observable data (i.e., estimates of how much matter there really is based on the number of galaxies and stars we can see at the moment).

    Compare this to the lack of any kind of even remotely plausible scientific evidence to support any so-called paranormal activity (and the huge number of frauds and hucksters operating in this field) and I think one has to differentiate between scientific theorists and true quacks.

    The difference between quacks and reputable scientific theorists is that the latter, when faced with evidence or better supported explanations, will toss aside their theories, although certainly not without a fight.

    Quacks, on the other hand, will always insist that they're right, no matter how little evidence they present or how much their assertions are discredited.
    Black holes are the co-imagined (i.e.-simply a concept) thing that they have agreed to call whatever it is that is at the center of the swirling opacities. Yes, they have mathematically modelled the swirl, yet still really don't know what is causing it.

    Same with dark matter. They came up with a mathematical model that works on certain scales, yet to make it work universally they have to enter an >80% fudge factor called dark matter, that is as undetectable as Bigfoot, the tooth fairy, or Russel's teapot, and thus claim that it must exist in order to follow the mathematical formula, instead perhaps of thinking that maybe the understanding of the formula was erroneous to begin with.

    Yes, I used the term quack simply to stir the pot a bit, but to excerpt from a concept in the Sagan book posted a page ir two back:

    As an example, Sagan relates the story (derived from the book Overcoming the Myth of Self-Worth: Reason and Fallacy in What You Say to Yourself - 1994- by Richard L. Franklin) of the invisible fire-breathing dragon living in his garage. He asks, "what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true."
    He is most likely alluding to the existance or not of God, but I'd say the idea of the unmeasureable, unobservable dark matter should fall under the same category.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quack Quack Quack
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  11. #171
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Hub o' the Universe
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    A good scientist should welcome new explanations, even if it destroys their own research and theories. That's how science works.

    Absolutely, if that explanation is backed up by observational evidence or such strong theoretical reasoning that existing theories are no longer valid. The most famous example of this in recent years is Stephen Hawking's admission that his theory about the "loss of information" from anything entering black holes was no longer valid in the face of new science that refuted its veracity.

    Go back to the 1940s and 50s and Edwin Hubble's team finally proved not only that other galaxies existed in their university, but that they were much farther away and were moving away at high speeds, bolstering the assertion that the universe is expanding and finally putting to bed the long-held "static universe" theory.

    Even the string theorists, who are about as fanatical a bunch of scientists as anyone, will admit that they have no physical evidence to back up their theory and that a different theory of the Nature of Everything may someday come along.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sitting in the catbird seat
    Posts
    6,166

    Default

    So you guys are saying that Bigfoot is made of dark matter? That would explain a lot, but I think you're just yanking my string with that theory.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    3,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    ...you're just yanking my string with that theory.
    That was so bad it was good.
    David

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    It has been about a week since anyone has posted on this thread. I did check the BFRO, there has been new sightings added but still have not found the elusive beast.

    Okay Phil you can shoot me for resurecting this one.
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  15. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Seeing as we're resurrecting the dead, here's the site I go to sometimes when I'm bored. Mostly boring stuff, but the community is pretty level headed, and there are a lot of articles on actual scientific findings (new species discovered, etc).
    http://www.cryptomundo.com/
    Official Member of the Brotherhood of the Traveling Slant since 3/2/2011

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Okay........Phil has solved the mystery. He said every time I send a PM a Bigfoot dies. As much as I PM no wonder we can't find him.
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  17. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right 46304
    Posts
    1,309

    Default


  18. #178
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pottsylvania, near Whynchatakea Peak and Joisee
    Posts
    14,702
    Images
    149

    Default

    Hey Scott.... you may find this interesting. I was in a diner in Eastern PA today and there where a bunch of Old Coots in there.

    I thought I would have some fun and asked them if they believed in BigFoot.

    A couple of them laughed and pointed to a particularly Old Codger who said he was stationed in Washington just after WW2 and he saw one and no matter what those other @sses that were with him said... THEY DO EXIST, so there you go.....I chuckled all the way home.
    Brian
    Let's leave Politics at the door ... and out of B&B !!!!!!

    Please Support Badger and Blade Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B 2012 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B LE 2011 Edison Glenmont Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B LE 2012 Edison Herald Grande Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B ? buy

    B&B Old Fogies Club.
    Punkin Fest time.... I'm there !!!

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    11,167
    Images
    333
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    Hey Scott.... you may find this interesting. I was in a diner in Eastern PA today and there where a bunch of Old Coots in there.

    I thought I would have some fun and asked them if they believed in BigFoot.

    A couple of them laughed and pointed to a particularly Old Codger who said he was stationed in Washington just after WW2 and he saw one and no matter what those other @sses that were with him said... THEY DO EXIST, so there you go.....I chuckled all the way home.
    Don't mess with them old codgers. They know the truth.

    So did you mean you were hanging out with a bunch of folks your age?
    Scott


    PROUDEST MEMBER OF THE GREAT EAGLE GROUP BUY OF 2010, MINE CAME WITH A PINK RIBBON!


    Need help ask a MOD!!

    I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by six.



  20. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pottsylvania, near Whynchatakea Peak and Joisee
    Posts
    14,702
    Images
    149

    Default

    Nah... they were 50 years older then water and 40 years older then sand.... I'm only 10 years older then both water and sand
    Brian
    Let's leave Politics at the door ... and out of B&B !!!!!!

    Please Support Badger and Blade Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B 2012 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B LE 2011 Edison Glenmont Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B LE 2012 Edison Herald Grande Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B ? buy

    B&B Old Fogies Club.
    Punkin Fest time.... I'm there !!!

Similar Threads

  1. fact or fiction
    By honeycutt in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM
  2. Fact or Fiction - Lather related
    By Nahkyla in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
  3. The Earth Moves, Fact or Fiction?
    By jncc in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 09:08 AM
  4. The Earth Moves, Fact or Fiction?
    By jncc in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 01:28 PM
  5. Speed Reading Fact or Fiction?
    By Tito in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 12:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.