What's new

Bigfoot Fact or Fiction

Bigfoot: fact or fiction

• Fact

• Fiction

• Art is Bigfoot

• Deep down, Phil Really does Believe !!!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Has anyone seen star wars? I mean come on guys Chewbaccas gotta be big foot, Peter Mayhew admitted he never put the shag carpet suit on. Mayhew was brought on to do the Holly Wood circuit because big foot refused to sign autographs.

Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dark matter and dark energy are unobservable, unmeasureable things, that have never been seen. Yet many reknown astrophysisits swear it exists, and that they actually make up more than 80% of the universe.

I call "bunkum!" on both Bigfoot and dark matter, and the quacks who believe in them.

I thought Dark Matter was the non-breast portions of the Thanksgiving Turkey.

Do you believe that black holes exist? No one has ever 'seen' one and they can never be reliably measured or directly observed. Yet, mathematical models can very precisely predict their structure and their effects on surrounding matter, and there are many photos that show matter cycling around some central opaque entity.

Are people who believe in black holes also quacks?

And while the debate about dark matter and dark energy is certainly controversial, the theory that these dark entites exists is at least based on analysis using the verified laws of physics as their foundational basis. The underlying assumptions may ultimately be proven incorrect (i.e., there may be a lot more matter in the universe than scientists currently predict), but at least they're using observable data (i.e., estimates of how much matter there really is based on the number of galaxies and stars we can see at the moment).

Compare this to the lack of any kind of even remotely plausible scientific evidence to support any so-called paranormal activity (and the huge number of frauds and hucksters operating in this field) and I think one has to differentiate between scientific theorists and true quacks.

The difference between quacks and reputable scientific theorists is that the latter, when faced with evidence or better supported explanations, will toss aside their theories, although certainly not without a fight.

Quacks, on the other hand, will always insist that they're right, no matter how little evidence they present or how much their assertions are discredited.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The difference between quacks and reputable scientific theorists is that the latter, when faced with evidence or better supported explanations, will toss aside their theories, although certainly not without a fight.

Quacks, on the other hand, will always insist that they're right, no matter how little evidence they present or how much their assertions are discredited.

A good scientist should welcome new explanations, even if it destroys their own research and theories. That's how science works.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

Dude you can call me a quack. I heard something that night and I choose to believe. If that makes me a quack so be it. I have painted my head green and now wear a beak and webbed feet.:laugh:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A good scientist should welcome new explanations, even if it destroys their own research and theories. That's how science works.

Holy cow Jay. That was a reasonable normal comment...............from you.............in a Bigfoot thread? It will probably get discovered this weekend.

Do you believe that black holes exist? No one has ever 'seen' one and they can never be reliably measured or directly observed. Yet, mathematical models can very precisely predict their structure and their effects on surrounding matter, and there are many photos that show matter cycling around some central opaque entity.

Are people who believe in black holes also quacks?

And while the debate about dark matter and dark energy is certainly controversial, the theory that these dark entites exists is at least based on analysis using the verified laws of physics as their foundational basis. The underlying assumptions may ultimately be proven incorrect (i.e., there may be a lot more matter in the universe than scientists currently predict), but at least they're using observable data (i.e., estimates of how much matter there really is based on the number of galaxies and stars we can see at the moment).

Compare this to the lack of any kind of even remotely plausible scientific evidence to support any so-called paranormal activity (and the huge number of frauds and hucksters operating in this field) and I think one has to differentiate between scientific theorists and true quacks.

Black holes are the co-imagined (i.e.-simply a concept) thing that they have agreed to call whatever it is that is at the center of the swirling opacities. Yes, they have mathematically modelled the swirl, yet still really don't know what is causing it.

Same with dark matter. They came up with a mathematical model that works on certain scales, yet to make it work universally they have to enter an >80% fudge factor called dark matter, that is as undetectable as Bigfoot, the tooth fairy, or Russel's teapot, and thus claim that it must exist in order to follow the mathematical formula, instead perhaps of thinking that maybe the understanding of the formula was erroneous to begin with.

Yes, I used the term quack simply to stir the pot a bit, but to excerpt from a concept in the Sagan book posted a page ir two back:

As an example, Sagan relates the story (derived from the book Overcoming the Myth of Self-Worth: Reason and Fallacy in What You Say to Yourself - 1994- by Richard L. Franklin) of the invisible fire-breathing dragon living in his garage. He asks, "what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true."

He is most likely alluding to the existance or not of God, but I'd say the idea of the unmeasureable, unobservable dark matter should fall under the same category.

Absolutely, if that explanation is backed up by observational evidence or such strong theoretical reasoning that existing theories are no longer valid. The most famous example of this in recent years is Stephen Hawking's admission that his theory about the "loss of information" from anything entering black holes was no longer valid in the face of new science that refuted its veracity.

Go back to the 1940s and 50s and Edwin Hubble's team finally proved not only that other galaxies existed in their university, but that they were much farther away and were moving away at high speeds, bolstering the assertion that the universe is expanding and finally putting to bed the long-held "static universe" theory.

Even the string theorists, who are about as fanatical a bunch of scientists as anyone, will admit that they have no physical evidence to back up their theory and that a different theory of the Nature of Everything may someday come along.

So you guys are saying that Bigfoot is made of dark matter? That would explain a lot, but I think you're just yanking my string with that theory.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
It has been about a week since anyone has posted on this thread. I did check the BFRO, there has been new sightings added but still have not found the elusive beast.

Okay Phil you can shoot me for resurecting this one.:lol:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Okay........Phil has solved the mystery. He said every time I send a PM a Bigfoot dies. As much as I PM no wonder we can't find him.

proxy.php

Hey Scott.... you may find this interesting. I was in a diner in Eastern PA today and there where a bunch of Old Coots in there.

I thought I would have some fun and asked them if they believed in BigFoot.

A couple of them laughed and pointed to a particularly Old Codger who said he was stationed in Washington just after WW2 and he saw one and no matter what those other @sses that were with him said... THEY DO EXIST, so there you go.....I chuckled all the way home.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Hey Scott.... you may find this interesting. I was in a diner in Eastern PA today and there where a bunch of Old Coots in there.

I thought I would have some fun and asked them if they believed in BigFoot.

A couple of them laughed and pointed to a particularly Old Codger who said he was stationed in Washington just after WW2 and he saw one and no matter what those other @sses that were with him said... THEY DO EXIST, so there you go.....I chuckled all the way home.

Don't mess with them old codgers. They know the truth.

So did you mean you were hanging out with a bunch of folks your age?:tongue_sm

Nah... they were 50 years older then water and 40 years older then sand.... I'm only 10 years older then both water and sand:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

Top Bottom