What's new

Experiment.....

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love Pen's English Fern soap, the tallow version that is. Since it is no longer available, and my stash of two will run out eventually, I got a puck of the new version. Well, the scent is there, but the lather is not close to the old version. Now, Palmolive sticks are a superb tallow based soap. This past weekend I picked my soap grater and grated up a stick of the Palmolive and a half puck of the new version EF. They are mixed in a 1:1 ratio, and I pressed the uniformly mixed soap shavings into a bowl. I have now a very well working tallow version of the EF - the lather and the scent is very much like the original!! The cost is about $30 for a full puck of the EF and some $3 for the Palmolive stick, so some $36 makes two nice bowls of EF soap!! The only drawback is the color of the soap mix.....

Maybe give it a melting in a double boiler and add some dye? Or food coloring? I have no clue if this would work, I have absolutely no experience in the subject.

But what a great and witty idea! I hope you receive many fine shaves out of your new soap:001_smile

Maybe give it a melting in a double boiler and add some dye? Or food coloring? I have no clue if this would work, I have absolutely no experience in the subject.

But what a great and witty idea! I hope you receive many fine shaves out of your new soap:001_smile

Shouldn't melt Palmolive.

The way Rudy has done it is the best way.

In my time as a wet-shaver, I'm a little amazed that more companies haven't gone back to using tallow as their base for soaps. Most companies like to have their fingers on the pulse of what their customers desire...and it seems that tallow is in high demand. I love tallow. Most companies want to give their customers what they want, right?

Is it just a matter of us finding other soaps that still have tallow and using them? Are soaps made with tallow banned in some parts of the world? Are we lazy about asking soap makers to "bring back tallow"?

What's the rub here?

I think they are steering clear of animal derived products even though Palm tree harvesting is causing more damage than cows, or so I have heard. Maybe the londonites are even more paranoid due to Mad cow.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think they are steering clear of animal derived products even though Palm tree harvesting is causing more damage than cows, or so I have heard. Maybe the londonites are even more paranoid due to Mad cow.

That might the reason. Also, I heard they are all so wild to have the royal warrants on their packages, and Prince Charlie is supposedly a vegetarian, so if they would use animal fats, they could loose it. But, they must have gotten the word from all over the world asking for tallow, and will see a drop in their sales of shaving soaps if they continue to make the stuff they do now (I mean Pen's here).

Top Bottom