What's new

After some feedback!

Guys

I have been approached to design and make some brushes for the US market. Wouldn't be a large quantity to begin with, say 50 (ish) brushes.
The question is, would you guys be interested in brushes designed and made by me?!
Any feedback would be appreciated. I am seriously considering the offer but hey the price would need to be right to dust off my brush making skills!:tongue_sm

Gary

Hi Gary, do you have any designs in mind, and would they be along the same lines as the Simpsons, or would that be a trademark issue?

But to answer your question, Yes I would be interested very much, would you ship to NZ in that case?

Last edited:
Hi Gary, do you have any designs in mind, and would they be along the same lines as the Simpsons, or would that be a trademark issue?

Well there are plenty of 'family' designs that never saw the light of day with the Simpson moniker on them. I spent a lot of time at Nimmer tinkering on the lathe and making my own designs.

I am truly in two minds over this which is why I am after honest feedback. I am sure my ancestors are up above trying to egg me on but it is a step I need to take with 'moral' support - if that makes sense!

Gary

I would most definately be interested in purchasing a brush made by you Gary. I would love to something of blend between a Gary Young inspired design with a hint of the original Simpson style mixed in. This is most definately wonderful news:w00t:

I would most definately be interested in purchasing a brush made by you Gary. I would love to something of blend between a Gary Young inspired design with a hint of the original Simpson style mixed in. This is most definately wonderful news:w00t:

It's very much 'pie in the sky' at the moment. I have a lot of thinking to do. The trouble is that there will always be a 'hint of the original Simpson style mixed in' (as you said) - and this is where my dilemma is in my mind. Considering I was part of the Simpson mix!

Gary

I'm quite certain that I would be speaking for nearly everyone here at B&B with my response.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Or something along those lines. :laugh:

Since I am new to wet shaving (and definitely not anywhere near a "pro" as some others in here, I would really appreciate it if you could give the rest of us a little background on your experience and why we should consider purchasing a brush from you. From the few posts above, am I to understand that you have worked at Simpson's before?

Thanks very much, and good luck with your endeavour.

Well I for one would love to see a mix of new and original. Now I know this is all "pie in the sky" as you put it Gary, and I assume it will be very time consuming too.

But if I may make a suggestion, would it be possible for us to view/vote on possible designs to help you decide?

Ultimately the decision will be yours, but with a forum like this, with all the enthusiasts here, I'm sure we could find the right mix to make these brushes a success.

Last edited:
It's very much 'pie in the sky' at the moment. I have a lot of thinking to do. The trouble is that there will always be a 'hint of the original Simpson style mixed in' (as you said) - and this is where my dilemma is in my mind. Considering I was part of the Simpson mix!

Gary

That is inherent in you Gary. You can not fight that part, because you cannot change that. This is something that you have to want and only you can be the ultimate judge of what your Uncle and family would think. You obviously knew him much more intimately than any of us. I would see this as a Gary Young venture, your lineage cannot be ignored, but I understand your wanting to do this. After all you said your plan was to run the company one day, right?

Well, I think you need to think about the weight that your name carries around here. A Gary Young brush would sell (put me in for one too:laugh:).
So you need to make sure that the company you are dealing with is going to produce a quality product. You wouldn't want your name on anything less than the best.
You have the advantage of having a great brush making history. Do you think you can keep up that standard? Not that you are going to compete against your family's history. You will however be adding to it.

Trust me, if you advertise it here, you'll sell out within the hour.
I believe the time is right to put one out there.
Good Luck!

Since I am new to wet shaving (and definitely not anywhere near a "pro" as some others in here, I would really appreciate it if you could give the rest of us a little background on your experience and why we should consider purchasing a brush from you. From the few posts above, am I to understand that you have worked at Simpson's before?

Thanks very much, and good luck with your endeavour.

Hi! Welcome to wet shaving!
Well, I am a a member of the original Simpson family. My Great Uncle was Alex Simpson, my grandfather ran the company as did my father. Um, so I do have quite a background in the industry! (I was taught to make Simpson brushes from the age of 7-8yrs old!). Hope that answers your question.
Enjoy the forum!

All the best

Gary

Well, I think you need to think about the weight that your name carries around here. A Gary Young brush would sell (put me in for one too:laugh:).
So you need to make sure that the company you are dealing with is going to produce a quality product. You wouldn't want your name on anything less than the best.
You have the advantage of having a great brush making history. Do you think you can keep up that standard? Not that you are going to compete against your family's history. You will however be adding to it.

Trust me, if you advertise it here, you'll sell out within the hour.
I believe the time is right to put one out there.
Good Luck!

It would be me making the knots and handles and making the brushes. It wouldn't be right someone else making them on my behalf - would be a bit of a waste of grandfather's/dad's training me thinks! I would never compete against our family's history and heritage of brush making - hopefully, yes, I could add to it. Regarding the 'standard' side of things, after a bit of practice (rather than just the odd restore I do now) I am pretty confident I can pick up where I left off.

Gary

Well I for one would love to see a mix of new and original. Now I know this is all "pie in the sky" as you put it Gary, and I assume it will be very time consuming too.

But if I may make a suggestion, would it be possible for us to view/vote on possible designs to help you decide?

Ultimately the decision will be yours, but with a forum like this, with all the enthusiasts here, I'm sure we could find the right mix to make these brushes a success.

I really appreciate how you guys have welcomed me in to the fold (so to speak), so yes I would appreciate feedback on any designs I come up with before actually making them.

Gary:

Please put me in the "YES" column. I would love to have a brush made by a member of the original Simpson family. :thumbup: Thanks for your consideration.

Don

Guys

I have been approached to design and make some brushes for the US market. Wouldn't be a large quantity to begin with, say 50 (ish) brushes.
The question is, would you guys be interested in brushes designed and made by me?!
Any feedback would be appreciated. I am seriously considering the offer but hey the price would need to be right to dust off my brush making skills!:tongue_sm

Gary

Dear Gary,

Kindly reserve one of the brushes for me.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Can I prepay for the brush now? I would definitely want to purchase one made by you. I hope i dont miss the thread that actually has the information, when you decide to persue the project.

Top Bottom