What's new

AOS opinions.

The shaving soaps and shaving creams are excellent. The soap is the best I've used.

The rest of the line is not worth the money, IMHO.

I have their sandalwood cream, pre-shave oil & aftershave balm, also the lavender AS balm.

It's all good IMO. The cream performs as well as any I've tried & better than many. I like the oil although some folks here don't like the thickness.

The balms are ok, but very expensive.

About the scents, I went to Nordstrom & sniffed 'em all - though the sandalwood was the best.

I have their sandalwood cream, pre-shave oil & aftershave balm, also the lavender AS balm.

It's all good IMO. The cream performs as well as any I've tried & better than many. I like the oil although some folks here don't like the thickness.

The balms are ok, but very expensive.

About the scents, I went to Nordstrom & sniffed 'em all - though the sandalwood was the best.
I going to agree on the pre shave oil, way to thick, but I've had great results with the other products.

I bought an AOS shaving kit a few years ago. I'm lukewarm about their products. The brush, while badger, has a cheesy handle. I don't use their pre-shave oil, the after shave balm was OK, but still sits in my medicine cabinet, and the shave cream was OK, but not very interesting. It was worth the kit price on sale, but otherwise not.

I love the AOS Lemon scent. Its nice, not over powering, and obviously pairs well with Thayers Lemon.

My wife recently got a travel kit for me with a Pre oil, cream, balm, and a great little brush. AOS isn't my favorite for day to day but the kit is perfect size for travel.

I bought an AOS shaving kit a few years ago. I'm lukewarm about their products. The brush, while badger, has a cheesy handle. I don't use their pre-shave oil, the after shave balm was OK, but still sits in my medicine cabinet, and the shave cream was OK, but not very interesting. It was worth the kit price on sale, but otherwise not.
What cream would you recommend for a beginner?

Yes. lol

I've heard great things about their soaps/cremes. I like their store. The salesmen I've talked to were pretty knowledgable.

I have yet to pick up the AOS soap though. I ought to.

I have the Sandalwood cream, aftershave balm, and cologne. As you probably could have guessed, I really like the scent. I like the performance of the cream a lot, but it is a bit pricey. I find the balm to be a little heavier than I like. I don't find it all that soothing either, kind of just a heavy, great smelling moisturizer. I like the cologne, I'd like it to be just a bit stronger though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Never tried it, however, I would have a look at the reviews.

The creams and soaps are of excellent quality - but expensive. Any of the creams would be good - but like others I like the Sandalwood Creams and Soaps.

I got the sampler travel pack in sandalwood about a year ago and the cream and aftershave were great. As a high-end cream I think they are worth the money. I would probably spend the money on it, but something about it itches my face. Nothing that doesn't go away in a few minutes after the shave, but I can't see spending that much on it if there are others that work as well for less money.

I also picked up their travel pack sampler to try everything out. I went with lavender

I really like their cream. Not the strongest lavender scent, but still very nice. It makes a great lather as well.

Not a fan of the pre shave oil, but I don't use pre shave.

Not really a fan of their ASB. It's decent, but it's greasy feeling. For my money Castle Forbes destroys it, but that's more expensive too.

I've never used the travel brush.

I have their super badger brush and I don't like it, although at least one person on this forum would disagree. It is way too floppy and loses hair from the middle of the knot. It is becoming semi-retired, as I am gradually breaking in an Omega Scarlatti boar.

I use the Lavender shaving soap and find that it makes a quality lather. Not so much a fan of the ASB though. It's a bit thick heavy for my taste...good scent though.

I use AOS soaps 90% of the time (love them:thumbup:) and the balms through the winter (also:thumbup:). Aftershave gel should be here tomorrow, but I expect it to be good as well. I do have the oil. It's okay, but I don't seem to need or use it much. You use very, VERY little of it, which can be hard to pour with any control. Kinda wish it were a pump like the balm (which you also use VERY little of, making it more cost effective than you'd first think.

Ken

AoS pre-shave oil is too thick. I like their alum block but am not sure what they do besides cut it into blocks.

Top Bottom