Thread: Old Fashioned Barber Shop Cologne

Default Old Fashioned Barber Shop Cologne

When I was a child in the 30's there was a lotion the barber applied to your neck that announced to the world "i have just had a haircut." Though it could be a bit loud it was a bright, sweet, fresh scent (nothing like bay run) that was, i believe, widely used. I loved it. Then in the 40's I accidentally came across the precisely identical fragrance in a cologne with the brand name "Bergamot." It came in a small black ceramic bottle and is now no longer available. I have since learned that bergamot is a citrus fruit widely used in perfumery. The Body Shop once offered a spray cologne called Bergamot but it is no longer available and in any case, while somewhat similar, is not the same as the old-fashioned barber shop scent that i remember. Any memories, ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by dohseedoh; 02-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Images

Sounds like you're looking for Pinaud Clubman Aftershave.

"Clubman:

According to Clubman.com

top notes of orange, bergamot and mouth-watering lemon with green nuances throughout.

The floral heart of jasmine, orange flower and geranium dance with lavender and is completed with a warm musk background."

Though I've never sampled it, many here say Rive Gauche is a very "barbershop" cologne..

"Top notes are rosemary, star anise and bergamot; middle notes are lavender, cloves and geranium; base notes are patchouli, guaiac wood and vetiver."

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...highlight=rive
    Last edited by masonjarjar; 02-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Images

Talking Pinaud Clubman...'That Old Time Barber Shop' Scent :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dohseedoh View Post
    When I was a child in the 30's there was a lotion the barber applied to your neck that announced to the world "i have just had a haircut." Though it could be a bit loud it was a bright, sweet, fresh scent (nothing like bay run) that was, i believe, widely used. I loved it. Then in the 40's I accidentally came across the precisely identical fragrance in a cologne with the brand name "Bergamot." It came in a small black ceramic bottle and is now no longer available. I have since learned that bergamot is a citrus fruit widely used in perfumery. The Body Shop once offered a spray cologne called Bergamot but it is no longer available and in any case, while somewhat similar, is not the same as the old-fashioned barber shop scent that i remember. Any memories, ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
    Dohseedoh:
    Most of us members will tell you that the "Old Fashioned Barber Shop Cologne" fond memories of which you are refering to was most likely the line of Pinaud Clubman Aftershave, Cologne, Hairtonic and other products (see link Thread and Posted Replies below).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186901

Below is the Website link for Pinaud Clubman products

http://www.clubmanonline.com/shgr.html

Christopher
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

Images

stephens is another one...my barber still uses it today...BUT i AGREE WITH THE CLUBMAN....

SMELL LIKE A BARBERSHOP
    "BE SURE TO WATCH FOR ME ON THE GRAND OL' OPRY...I AIN'T THERE YET, BUT YOU CAN WATCH FOR ME...

BE SURE TO VISIT THE BARBERSHOP FOR THE LATEST INFO ABOUT NOTHING... ...IT'S HABIT FORMING

FACEBOOK: be a friend

Not sure if it was the scent you remember from the 30s, but Clubman is to me THE barbershop scent.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, but my money is on Clubman

Images

Clubman is definitely the barbershop scent. One of the main reasons I use it is because it reminds me so dearly of my father taking me to the barber as a kid.

Rive Gauche is another good one.

Some barbershops also still use a traditional Bay Rum, so you may want to check those out, as well. My favorites are Dominica, Ogallala and Pinaud.
    "Life's too short for good handwriting." -Dad.

Absolutely agree that Clubman is your long lost Barbershop scent. And Rive Gauche as having a great Barbershop vibe. A little further afield in Barbershop scents are Azzaro pour Homme and Paco Rabanne pour Homme (on the dry down, at least in my experience). Also, Canoe has a barbershop vibe (powdery, spicy and nicely sweet).

Good Luck in Barbershop scent quest. Keep us up to date 'cause more than a few of us are on that same quest.

By the way...

Welcome to B&B!
    ▲ ► Rick ◄ ► Son of a Barber ◄ ▲

Thanks. Looks like I have some sampling to do of Clubman and Rive Gauche. My Dad used Ed. Pianud's Lilac Vegetal and when I was a kid he would hand me $5 and instruct to buy him a bottle for his birthday. That scent still stirs up a wave of nostaglia.

Images

Ah, the Veg

Clubman is probably what you smelled as a kid, as others have said.
    Rive Gauche smells like Barbasol. I say that in a good way, I love it!

Profumum Antico Caruso,the best and more longlasting barber shop niche (edp strength).

I wish I was a kid in the 30s! No new grooming product needed to be made after about 1940.

You guys are all wrong, its Clubman.

Clubman is probably what you're looking for, but Mama Bear sells a Barbershop scent that makes me think of a barbershop from when I was a kid. It's a little powdery and citrus-floral and all amazing. It's pretty cheap in shaving soap and cologne, so it would be worth the try.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dohseedoh View Post
    Thanks. Looks like I have some sampling to do of Clubman and Rive Gauche. My Dad used Ed. Pianud's Lilac Vegetal and when I was a kid he would hand me $5 and instruct to buy him a bottle for his birthday. That scent still stirs up a wave of nostaglia.
    What did you do with the other $4.50?

My wife reports buying Lilac Vegetal for her father for special occasions, and using spending about 50 cents. Of course, that was back in the day.

15. Default

In America Bay Rum or Clubman. In Anglia Eau de Portugal, Lavender Water or Bay Rum.
    Cordially, The Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Pall Mall View Post
    In America Bay Rum or Clubman. In Anglia Eau de Portugal, Lavender Water or Bay Rum.
    In Italy it's Floid. Classic Floid (let's forget about the blue one, ok?).
    The monk up there is Ockam. Got it?

Yesterday I wore Penhaligon's Douro - very barbershop style smell that works well for me, and it lasts all day.

Pinaud Clubman all the way. Best aftershave on the planet and I'll lick any sumbitch in the house that says different.

Images

I enjoy both the Clubman after-shave and talcum powder. The powder is what really evokes waves of nostalgia for me.
    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying" .... Woody Allen
    Proud member of the Great Eagle Group Buy 2010

Mike,
    SOTD Steward http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdi...nt-of-the-Day!

Item of the Week: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...iscussion-2014