What's new

New job, need a briefcase

Hey all,

I just landed my first real job since graduating from University!
My degree was in Mechanical Engineering, and I will be working for Varian Medical Systems.

My days of lugging a backpack around are over and now I need a briefcase.

I come to you gentleman for advice.

I would like something professional looking but also casual enough to fit in at a casual engineering-type office.

Most of the people there seemed to wear the standard Dockers and button up shirt uniform with no tie.

What would you suggest for less than $150?

First...Congratulations on your new position!

Now...I've seen men in suits using backpacks, so I'm not sure you really HAVE to give your up.

But - if you want to I need to ask - will you be carrying a laptop, too? Lots of papers and a few supplies?

I prefer a slightly larger case that holds my laptop, some accessories and the various bits of geekery that I like to carry. I also don't like having any weight on my shoulder so I prefer a case with wheels. Something like this:

http://www.luggage.com/Samsonite-11020-1041-FE1090.html

Use a backpack...honestly it's more practical.

If you want a briefcase style bag, like a messenger bag, you could get a leather one OR you could look at the Victorinox line of bags. I have a laptop backpack/commuter bag in one of these and I love it. Very sturdy and professional looking to boot.

Congratulations on your new job.

this one from Fishpond should fit right in..
proxy.php

•Padded interior laptop compartment can accommodate most laptops screens up to 17"
•Adjustable padded shoulder strap
•Four exterior pockets
•Two zippered and two slash pockets with magnetic closures
•Interior organization Velcro®and slash pockets
762 cu. in.
16" x 12" x 3.5"

this one from Fishpond should fit right in..
proxy.php

•Padded interior laptop compartment can accommodate most laptops screens up to 17"
•Adjustable padded shoulder strap
•Four exterior pockets
•Two zippered and two slash pockets with magnetic closures
•Interior organization Velcro®and slash pockets
762 cu. in.
16" x 12" x 3.5"

Nice, looks like a crumpler, but with a bit more class !:thumbup1:

IMHO check out maxpedition.com . look at there messanger bags , and packs , and brief cases . They are built like tanks , and have a very high CDI factor ! :w00t::thumbup1:

i have used them all over the world including almost 2 years in Iraq working as a PC , and can tell you they are built to last , and take a beating ! :thumbup:

First off congrats and from a fellow engineer, welcome to the engineering profession. Well if you are hauling a laptop back and forth I would recommend a messenger type bag. If not a brief case or leather satchel would do. There are some good brands out there but the first thing you need to consider is how are you going to use it? By this I mean do you need a lot of space. How organized do you need things to be? This is where you want to the number of storage pockets and the type of pocket. Then lastly find something you like and fits your sense of style. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I suppose I don't exactly know what kind of functionality I will need in a briefcase I do not yet know what I will be carrying everyday. (I start in two weeks.)
I would like the option of carrying a laptop, although I doubt I will on a regular basis. I would like a separate compartment for documents and files, and smaller compartments for pens and miscellaneous stuff. That Fishpond bag looks really nice.
Keep the suggestions coming. :thumbup:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hey all,

I just landed my first real job since graduating from University!
My degree was in Mechanical Engineering, and I will be working for Varian Medical Systems.

My days of lugging a backpack around are over and now I need a briefcase.

I come to you gentleman for advice.

I would like something professional looking but also casual enough to fit in at a casual engineering-type office.

Most of the people there seemed to wear the standard Dockers and button up shirt uniform with no tie.

What would you suggest for less than $150?
I think Congrats are in order with your new job.
proxy.php

Wilson's Leather has a fine assortment of Men's Briefcase's within your price range...just follow the link below. :thumbup:

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2019559&cp=2446816&view=all&fpricesort=

Christopher
proxy.php

Thank you!
I've looked at Wilson's leather before and really like their stuff. I already have a wallet and a checkbook cover from them. I just might go with them again. :001_cool:

I'm a fan of Chrome bags. I use one and it fits a lot of stuff, is waterproof and really durable. I'm not sure this thing'll ever break. Been my main bag for over a year of daily use. It seems like it may be more on the casual end for you, but I think worth a look. Lots of variety, too.

+1 for Maxpedition products. I have a number of their items (backpacks, bags, accessories) - they're well thought out, and very solidly built. Available in "military" colors as well as black for a more corporate look. I work as an engineer for a construction company, and my time is split between office and field. Maxpedition's products really hold up well.

I'm a fan of Chrome bags. I use one and it fits a lot of stuff, is waterproof and really durable. I'm not sure this thing'll ever break. Been my main bag for over a year of daily use. It seems like it may be more on the casual end for you, but I think worth a look. Lots of variety, too.

I agree with the chrome bags.

Just picked up my second one the other day and I love it.

Built tough and if you choose the all black option it can look kinda classy.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thank you!
I've looked at Wilson's leather before and really like their stuff. I already have a wallet and a checkbook cover from them. I just might go with them again. :001_cool:
xjrob85
'Pull the Trigger'. :2guns:
Because you know Wilson's Leather is 1st class stuff (go with what you know...were you disappointed before?). :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Top Bottom