What's new

Is it safe to buy a used razor?

I see a lot of razors listed in the Safety Razor section on ebay. Is it safe to consider buying a used razor?

I am new here so please forgive my ignorance.

If I buy a razor for say $20.00 on ebay what should I do to sanitize it and make sure it is safe to use?

Of those listed regularly on ebay which should a newbie like me consider if they are safe to use.

STAY SHAVED

I think they are safe and easy to clean. I have three razors and they are all old vintage Gillettes that I got off ebay. I shave with one every day.

Check out a superspeed or a tech if you're new. They're both great razors and very forgiving of newbie technique.

As for safety, they are totally safe. When I get a 'new' old razor, I clean it thoroughly with a toothbrush and Scrubbing Bubbles. If it's all metal and not painted you can boil it if you like. Some guys like Barbicide or alcohol.

Really, nothing's going to be alive on that old razor that you need to be concerned about. Clean it with something that kills crud, and shave happily.

You can use scrubbing bubbles to soak/clean/use toothbrush to get gunk off, soak in a diluted bleach solution (10 water:1 bleach), or use barbicide and soak for a while, you can also then polish with MAAS or Flitz and you'll be fine...

Yes, used razors are safe to buy as long as you clean them up before you use them. I usually clean my used razors up with some hot tap water, Scrubbing Bubbles and a tooth brush. I will usually rinse the razor off and give it an inital srub with the SB's to get all the loose stuff off...I then rinse the razor, place it in a plastic container and spray it with copius amounts of SB's and let it sit there for up to 30 minutes at which time I rinse it off in hot water and dry. I figure if SB's are good enough to disinfect a bathroom, its good enough for my razor. If you are concerned beyond that you can go to a beauty supply store and get some Barbacide which will kill everything you need to be worried about. Hope this helps ease your mind....new razors are great too, but theres just something cool about using a vintage every now and then.

I'll echo everyone's comments about them being safe and I'll also give a bit of advice: take a look at the B/S/T section for a safety razor. In my experience, buying from someone here is much more pleasant and (and usually cheaper!) than messing with eBay. I got my first razor from eBay, but that's before I knew about the B/S/T. :thumbup1:

Good luck!

The above advice is good.

I soak in dish soap and water overnight (or longer) for TTO's and for 3 piece razors that are funky or scum covered. This loosens anything in the mechanism of TTO's and makes cleaning the scum away easy.

Boiling risks destroying the razor. Barbicide, scrubbing bubbles, or dilute bleach will sanitize. Pick 1.

Phil

The above advice is good.

I soak in dish soap and water overnight (or longer) for TTO's and for 3 piece razors that are funky or scum covered. This loosens anything in the mechanism of TTO's and makes cleaning the scum away easy.

Boiling risks destroying the razor. Barbicide, scrubbing bubbles, or dilute bleach will sanitize. Pick 1.

Phil

Like I said, if the razor is all metal and not painted, boiling is fine. The only exception I know of is gold. Otherwise, boil away.

I use SB and boiling both. Only time I ever regretted it was way back when, as I was getting started I boiled a razor with a plastic handle. Killed the razor good and dead.

I also agree with earlier advise...look through the B/S/T section, or post a "Want to Buy".

Keep us informed of your progress.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
After cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old tooth brush and hot water, a soak in good ole 70% rubbing alcohol is all you need. Alcohol is cheaper than Barbicide and available anywhere, displaces water and evaporates quickly.

I do the following...

1. 8 hours in Hydrogen Peroxide
2. Hot Soapy Water and Toothbrush
3. Alcohol soak for 5 minutes then Air Dry
4. Hot Soapy Water and Toothbrush
5. 10 Minutes in Barbicide then Air Dry
6. Hot Soapy Water.....GOOD TO GO!!!

Overkill? Probably, but at least I know it's CLEAN!!!!

After cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and an old tooth brush and hot water, a soak in good ole 70% rubbing alcohol is all you need. Alcohol is cheaper than Barbicide and available anywhere, displaces water and evaporates quickly.

exactly what i did.

and i'll echo the other posts. check the BST forum, you'd be surprised how generous people are on here and you get honest sellers, unlike some ebay sellers.

my Merkur 39c came from a B&B member as well as 3 Vintage gillettes that i got thru the Wanted Thread on the BST.

A bowl of hot tap water with OxyClean works wonders. Soak until room temperature, rinse, then spray down with Scrubbing Bubbles, buff with old toothbrush, rinse and towel dry.

-- John Gehman

My process:

1. 180 degree water for 30 minutes, cleans most surface soil and interior gunk

2. 2 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles

3. 10 minutes in barbicide

4. polish with simichrome polish

5. repeat step 4

6. keep repeating step 4 as long as your polishing cloth removes black (oxidized surface molecules)

ken

A bowl of hot tap water with OxyClean works wonders. Soak until room temperature, rinse, then spray down with Scrubbing Bubbles, buff with old toothbrush, rinse and towel dry.

-- John Gehman

I forgot this one. OxyClean works wonders!

Top Bottom