What's new

I'm digging these Japanese Greens

So far, I've only had Matcha and Sencha, but I'm really enjoying both. I notice a commonality in them, which I liken very much to Nori (seaweed). It's generally found to be a divisive flavor whenever it appears, but I like Japanese cuisine, and apparently, their teas. I broke down and ordered a small Kyusu and some Genmaicha.

Anybody else here really into Japanese green tea especially?

I've been enjoying some Sencha as well and know exactly what you are taking about with the reference to Nori. There is this sushi place I frequent that servers an excellent green tea that has this nice toasted seseme seed note to it which I eally like, but I have yet to ask them what type out tea it is. I was also interested Genmaicha and have some in route.

I've been enjoying some Sencha as well and know exactly what you are taking about with the reference to Nori. There is this sushi place I frequent that servers an excellent green tea that has this nice toasted seseme seed note to it which I eally like, but I have yet to ask them what type out tea it is. I was also interested Genmaicha and have some in route.

The toasted sesame note likely does indicate Genmaicha. I have some that I'm looking forward to trying myself.

I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in the shincha craze this year and I would wait until summer before ordering the 2011 Japanese greens but I'm already getting excited.

If you haven't had shincha before I highly recommend picking some up around May or so as it first appears, tea doesn't get much fresher than vacuum packed shincha airmailed shortly after picking.

Oh, and....gyokuro needs to be on your to do list

What kyusu have you ordered?

I drink a lot of Japanese tea, although very little macha (which my kids seem to love). For me, it's standard sencha, genmaicha and hojicha. In the summer, I drink a lot of cold mugicha (roasted barley tea), cold sanpincha (jasmine tea) as well as cold green tea (made with ice). Occasionally some other stuff like soba tea or konbu tea (not the fermented tea popular now in the US, but tea made with kelp).

Last edited:
So far, I've only had Matcha and Sencha, but I'm really enjoying both. I notice a commonality in them, which I liken very much to Nori (seaweed). It's generally found to be a divisive flavor whenever it appears, but I like Japanese cuisine, and apparently, their teas. I broke down and ordered a small Kyusu and some Genmaicha.

There's a Japanese market over in Cary that stocks a range of everyday teas. Have you been there? It's called "Toyo Shokuhin."

If you haven't had shincha before I highly recommend picking some up around May or so as it first appears, tea doesn't get much fresher than vacuum packed shincha airmailed shortly after picking.

My currently supply consists of Taiwanese and Chinese teas, haven't made it to Japanese teas yet but would like to. Is there a web vendor you'd recommend for when May rolls around? I'd be curious to sample what Japan has to offer. :001_smile

I've ordered from O-cha.com and Yuuki-cha.com with success. Painless (and fast shipping to boot). I'm very pleased with everything I've received.

I love japanese greens, in particular hibikian and hojo sencha or shinchas, oh and matcha :thumbup1: Japanese greens are my staple.

Top Bottom