What's new

Shea Moisture Shave Brush

So, I picked up one of these:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=S&t=152490

at my local Target the other day. Now, I have been using my VDH Boar brush for quite some time, and I get decent results when using the VDH soap to make a good, rich lather.

The 'problem' that I'm having now, is that the Shea Moisture brush holds all the lather when I'm trying to whip it in my bowl. I have to 'wipe' the brush on the side of the bowl to get the lather out of the brush. It takes me a bit longer to load the brush with soap, but I expected that.

Any suggestions? The brush is really quite nice compared to the VDH! I'm wondering if I should even bother getting one of the Omega Boar (Pro 49) that I had planned on buying...

at my local Target the other day. Now, I have been using my VDH Boar brush for quite some time, and I get decent results when using the VDH soap to make a good, rich lather.

The 'problem' that I'm having now, is that the Shea Moisture brush holds all the lather when I'm trying to whip it in my bowl. I have to 'wipe' the brush on the side of the bowl to get the lather out of the brush. It takes me a bit longer to load the brush with soap, but I expected that.

Any suggestions? The brush is really quite nice compared to the VDH! I'm wondering if I should even bother getting one of the Omega Boar (Pro 49) that I had planned on buying...

I guess I don't understand what "the problem" is. The idea is to get lather into the brush so you can transfer it to your face. Once you get a good lather, just brush it onto your face and neck. Then shave.

Maybe it's just me, as I am a face latherer. I just load the brush with soap/cream and create lather on my face. Good to go.

Fair enough :001_smile

I guess I'm used to having most of the lather stay in the bowl as I am swirling it.
With the new brush, it's hard to make a good lather, as most of the soap seems to travel up the brush.

I agree that this is probably not a problem, as long as you're getting good lather on your face. One thing to try is adding a little more water to the mix.

I've been using boars (VDH and Burma) for years. I finally got an AOS badger, which I think is probably pretty similar to the Shea Moisture brush ( I will find out soon ). I've noticed the same thing. That AOS badger holds the lather like crazy. My boars are great at creating lather, but they don't hold the lather quite as much..

Hmmmm. I have to squeeze some lather out of many of my badger brushes. And certainly not the boar brushes I have.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The knot is probably bigger than what you are used to. It will hold more lather but you will need to squeeze it out if you want it all.

How many here have a boar and a badger that they use on different days?

Or is that a dumb question?? :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How many here have a boar and a badger that they use on different days?

Or is that a dumb question?? :001_smile

Some use both for sure. I only have 1 brush that I use everyday, it's a silvertip that I re-knotted.

Get a couple rubber o-rings from a hardware store and cinch them around the base of the knot. That'll tighten up and shorten the bristles, which will help push more lather out rather than in.

This is the only brush I use. I have gotten used to it. It does take a few days to get it "broken in". After that, it is quite consistent. I love mine, and have a few new spares on the shelf if they are ever needed.

Personally, I found the shea moisture brush to be a little... floppy. I much prefer my TGN 2-band badger.

Top Bottom