What's new

Help with lather of Ogallala bay rum, sage, and cedar

Yesterday, I tried Ogallala bay rum, sage, and cedar. My first shave with an Ogallala soap. I found the lather very foamy and not very slick. The razor pulled and skipped a lot, and I didn't get a very smooth or even shave. For reference, I've been using Bigelow, and I love it.

Was my mix off? I thought I added enough water, but perhaps not. Is this just how the soap lathers? I've got a whole sample pack of Ogallala soaps, so I'd like to get a lather that feels nice.

I face lather from Ogallala sticks and get very nice lather. Sage and Cedar, Limes and Peppercorns and the Sweet Orange so far and have the others waiting.

I have had the same trouble with a bowl lather. I've been mixing it with a dash of C.O. Bigelow just to get some slickness. May have to try lathering on the face.

I've only bowl lathered the regular bay rum soap from them. At first I was getting terrible lather, was kind of chunky and cottage cheesy. Needed to hit it with a much wetter brush than I typically do and then add water little bits at a time in the bowl until it's where I want it. It's probably the worst performer that I actually use from time to time (or it might be C&E sienna) (doubt I'll get more when it's gone) but Ogallala aftershave is my favourite!.

My problem with it is that it wants to climb out of the bowl while churning the lather.

Tried it this morning with a face lather and had great results. It was plenty slick and did not dry out. Much different experience than when I used a bowl. I imagine it had to do more with the amount of water and lathering I did than the bowl vs. face, but it worked well. Will definitely face lather again.

I guess I'm in the minority. I really like this soap, great lather, great shaves and face friendly for me. YMMV.

I used the Bay rum and Sandalwood this morning. I found the lather in my scuttle airy, but with a little working on the face it became a usable lather that performed acceptably well.

I was disappointed that subsequent passes required working on the face to rebuild the lather.

Phil

it's definitely difficult to create a good lather for me as well. I love the Bay Rum and Sandalwood scent though. I use a tablespoon or so of water and usually get an ok lather... nothing special though.

Was my mix off? I thought I added enough water, but perhaps not. Is this just how the soap lathers? I've got a whole sample pack of Ogallala soaps, so I'd like to get a lather that feels nice.

The lather from Ogallala is a bit different. Almost meringue like.
Not too long ago I got a new puck and it didn't want to lather up on the first try, maybe from having sat in the drawer for awhile while I finished off another soap, but when I tried again it lathered w/ no problems.

I don't have the box the soap comes in but either there or on the website they recommend soaking the soap in its mug under hot water for a few minutes before use.

I dump off the water, shake the excess out of the brush and go at the soap a good 20-30 seconds, then wetting the brush as needed as I face/head lather. I reload the brush a bit after I shave my head but before I shave my face, and by then I have lather flying all over.

My first couple of lathers with the Bay Rum were very poor. Now that it's lost it's top layer it lathers like MAD! I get so much with a damp brush it pillows off my face. It's very different to a Tabac or AOS lather but it does work great.

Top Bottom