What's new

Engraving the top of my DE

Afternoon all...(NZ time)

I'm looking at getting the top of my Merkur 38C engraved, now I know these are chrome plated, so:

1. is it a good idea?
2. will it ruin the razor/plating?
3. will I need to get it re-chromed if I do get it engraved?

I have no answers but I was thinking of doing the same for a DE which I plan to give as a gift. Just a small bump for the OP - inquiring minds want to know :laugh:

while i haven't thought of this, i would like for info on how to go about this. At some point in time i would like to have a "signature" set, with Initials maybe or not.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Afternoon all...(NZ time)

I'm looking at getting the top of my Merkur 38C engraved, now I know these are chrome plated, so:

1. is it a good idea?
2. will it ruin the razor/plating?
3. will I need to get it re-chromed if I do get it engraved?
Yes, it will ruin the plating, as even good plating is thin.

I would recommend a chemical etching of some sort. Like the Gillette Techs that have the Gillette brand embossed on the top. Chemical etching thins the plating by a negligible amount.

You have to realize that the base material of Merkur heads (and probably most modern casted heads) are made from Zamak, an alloy with a lot of zinc in it. This material is fine and durable as long as the plating is in tact but starts to corrode as soon as water finds a hole larger than an H2O molecule. I can't give you a specific time table but my guess is that it will deteriorate pretty fast and, though it will remain usable for some time, will be ugly in no time once the plating has been corrupted.

You have to realize that the base material of Merkur heads (and probably most modern casted heads) are made from Zamak, an alloy with a lot of zinc in it. This material is fine and durable as long as the plating is in tact but starts to corrode as soon as water finds a hole larger than an H2O molecule. I can't give you a specific time table but my guess is that it will deteriorate pretty fast and, though it will remain usable for some time, will be ugly in no time once the plating has been corrupted.

That's exactly right. The plating on these things is not just for looks. Without it the razor corrodes and it will corrode really quickly. It will get pitted and the pits get bigger and bigger.

And so after engraving you'll have to have it replated.

You can engrave an old Gillette that's made of brass though.

Top Bottom