What's new

Academy Award Nominees

Disclaimer: If you feel the need to prattle about how award shows are meaningless, you hate Oscar movies and avoid them, etc...please move along. :tongue_sm

NOW...I try to catch as many Oscar nominees as I can once the nominations are announced. This year I've seen all 10 of the Best Picture nominees, and most of the other nominees as well. My list is probably 85% checked off, including documentaries, foreign, etc.

I really liked The King's Speech, and Inception was probably the best thing I saw all year.

What have y'all seen, and what did you like? Not like?

Anyone else get excited this time of year?

Inception NEEDS the best picture and Christopher Nolan should take best director (if nominated). Black Swan was good, Natalie Portman was really good in it. The Social Network score made that movie way better than it could have been so I think Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross should take that. Other than that I don't really know much else about it.

Inception NEEDS the best picture and Christopher Nolan should take best director (if nominated). Black Swan was good, Natalie Portman was really good in it. The Social Network score made that movie way better than it could have been so I think Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross should take that. Other than that I don't really know much else about it.

Nolan got snubbed for directing, but hopefully Inception will win picture. The Social Network score was great, but I think I liked the Hans Zimmer Inception score a bit more. Neither of them were as good as Daft Punk's work on Tron, but that was also overlooked.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The Blonde Nurse and I saw "The Winter's Bone" this Summer and I have to say the film was very disturbing, raw, and well.... disturbing. My daughter claims we NEED to see 'The Fighter"

The Blonde Nurse and I saw "The Winter's Bone" this Summer and I have to say the film was very disturbing, raw, and well.... disturbing. My daughter claims we NEED to see 'The Fighter"

The Fighter was really great. Christian Bale seems like a lock to win Best Supporting Actor. It would be a shame if he didn't.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Tony:
The 'King's Speech' has won BIG at the 2011 SAG Awards and again...I'll bet you (any takers?), "A Monkey to a Mouse Trap" (Churchill: A Life By Martin Gilbert, pg 701), A 'monkey' being britsh race track term for 500 and a 'mouse trap' is a british term for 1 sovereign =
500 to 1 odds
), that 'The King's Speech' will rule the night and make a 'clean sweep' the of 2011 Oscar Academy Awards, which will air on Sunday, 27 Feb 2011 @ 5:00pm (PT), and 8:00pm (ET), on ABC.
proxy.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/31/AR2011013102351.html

I can really sympathise with this film (and King George VI), because I was also a stutterer as a young boy and I had to attend 'Special Ed' classes during the school day (and yes...being teased / labeled as being retarded...I fought alot to defend myself and honor).

I remember it was brutal and angonizing...the special schooling, teasing and trying to get my point across not to mention a crushing blow to my self-esteem / confidence :cursing:

Gradually, with training I did learn to overcome my disability as child and have led a very full and producitive life and have no fears of public speaking (I was an Instructor and Drill Sergeant in my Army days and give briefings at least once a week to the senior command and staff in my current Federal governmrnt position. :biggrin1:

Christopher
proxy.php
proxy.php

Honestly, I haven't seen most of the films nominated. I think The King's Speech will win Best Picture. I'm pretty certain the film that wins the top honors at the SAG Awards usually takes Best Picture.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Honestly, I haven't seen most of the films nominated. I think The King's Speech will win Best Picture. I'm pretty certain the film that wins the top honors at the SAG Awards usually takes Best Picture.
SalvadorMontenegro:
Besides being the 'front-runner' for Best Picture ('The King’s Speech'),
proxy.php
proxy.php

Lest us not forget;

Colin Firth (best actor), for 'The King’s Speech'.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php

The Fighter was really great. Christian Bale seems like a lock to win Best Supporting Actor. It would be a shame if he didn't.
I second this, yet I really felt he was the main actor in this movie, and Marky Mark was in the supporting role.

Although I knew who Bale was, "The Fighter" was the first film that I personally saw him in. I hope he gets cast in something that interests me in the not too distant future--I'd really like to see if he can keep the bar high.

I second this, yet I really felt he was the main actor in this movie, and Marky Mark was in the supporting role.

Although I knew who Bale was, "The Fighter" was the first film that I personally saw him in. I hope he gets cast in something that interests me in the not too distant future--I'd really like to see if he can keep the bar high.

You're aware of Batman, right? What about American Psycho, The New World, Public Enemies, or The Prestige?

If you want to go waaay back (like, to his childhood), you need to check out Empire of the Sun.

This isn't a snotty post, by the way. It seems that Bale legitimately flew under your radar, or maybe you've seen him but in roles so different that you didn't connect him.

You're aware of Batman, right? What about American Psycho, The New World, Public Enemies, or The Prestige?

If you want to go waaay back (like, to his childhood), you need to check out Empire of the Sun.

This isn't a snotty post, by the way. It seems that Bale legitimately flew under your radar, or maybe you've seen him but in roles so different that you didn't connect him.

see also The Machinist:thumbup1:

I felt like the formula for Winter's Bone was this:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Massacre - Texas + Missouri Methheads = Winter's Bone

That's why I said "The Fighter" as the first movie I'd personally seen him in. I haven't seen any of those movies you listed. But I can go two years without going to a theater, so it's on me.

I saw Jeff Bridges' country singer movie last year (big JB fan) and "True Grit" and "The Fighter" this year. That's three inside 365 days. A lot for me.

I have a good old movie collection--late 30s on, that I watch a good bit of. Haven't kept up with a lot of "current" actors in the last 12-15 years.

Top Bottom