What's new

Noob Blade Questions

I've been DE shaving for about a month and a half now and my current variable is blades. I've been working my way through a sampler pack my wife bought me for Christmas.

I'm getting about 2-3 comfortable shave per blade at most, but I'm also just leaving the blade in the razor once I put it in.

Is there any benefit to flipping the blade over (top to bottom) after using it once, or does that matter at all?

Also, is there any other blade maintenance I should know about to help extend the life of the blades?

Aaron, flipping the blade makes absolutely no difference to life or performance. Just use the blade, leave it in the razor until time to change, and rinse/dry razor after each use. DE blades are relatively inexpensive(compared to cartridges) and trying to prolonge their life is really a waste of time and effort.

David

I used to wonder that years ago about flipping the blades so I see why you asked the question.
Truth is you are only asking to cut your fingers. Best way to get the most out of a blade I have found is to use both sides equally. I spin it in my hand after each dunk and shake. And make sure no cream gets left between the blade and safety bar. If you want to blow the water out of it and rub the top against a towel, then you have done all you can to get the most out of it.
IMO!!!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Aaron, flipping the blade makes absolutely no difference to life or performance. Just use the blade, leave it in the razor until time to change, and rinse/dry razor after each use. DE blades are relatively inexpensive(compared to cartridges) and trying to prolonge their life is really a waste of time and effort.

David

Yes, Sir. Words of wisdom. :001_smile:wink2::thumbup1:

I usually try to get four shaves out of a blade before I replace it. No advice or tricks, though. I saw a video the other day of a guy showing how to strop SE, DE, and catridges. But, I doubt anybody really does it. I have not heard of anyone doing it.

When i'm done shaving, i slightly loosen the head of the razor and dip the head in a anchor bowl full of rubbing alcohol, then i shake dry and set on a washcloth.

The alcohol displaces water and dries quickly, and i find that it enables me to get about ~2 more smooth shaves out of the blade.

As was said above, use it for the number of comfortable shaves, then pitch it. They are relatively cheap. I usually get three shaves from a blade, then it's gone...

PS Welcome to the forum!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No benefit in flipping the blade no, same edge.

How to extend the blade life? You can palm strop the blade. Some say it extends the life of the blade, but I didn't see a difference. For what DE blades cost, I wouldn't do it.

When i'm done shaving, i slightly loosen the head of the razor and dip the head in a anchor bowl full of rubbing alcohol, then i shake dry and set on a washcloth.

The alcohol displaces water and dries quickly, and i find that it enables me to get about ~2 more smooth shaves out of the blade.

I do the same - though it doesn't give me any additional shaves. I just do it for hygenic reasons.

Top Bottom