What's new

What did you hone today?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I got a new E•C•E plane last week and honed the blade today. The factory bevel had serious issues so I took it down to an Atoma 400x to set it, then Atoma 1200 followed by a striped iyoto with chip eraser Tomo from Nelson, Hakka, Tsushima and finished on a hard coti under running water. Stropped on clean leather. It popped a low HHT. Lol

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 68
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 65
Higonokami - one of my favored shop knives.

Bevel through prefinish on Primordial Stone slurried with Zebra Rock.

$Higo 1.jpg

Final polish on Apache Black Gila - yep, I'm using oil here, thats my own private/custom blend.
That edge is in the 'stupid sharp' zone now.

$Higo 2.jpg

Last edited:
My current "Daily Driver." T. Hessenbruch. Just a TouchUp. Carborundum 101a Barber hone finished in what I believe is a Purple Welsh Slate (Llyn Melynllyn stone). About 15-20 laps on a chromium oxide hanging strop and good sharp as ever again.

Cleaned and polished & then honed up using a Naniwa progression 1k through 12k. First shave with this old Wostenholm gold frame back.
$SafariScreenSnapz110.jpg

So far, just this Robeson shuredge. Shapton 500, 1k, coticule slurry to water, trans ark. Switched gears when I saw that the steel wasn't really typical of American blades as far as hardness goes. I suspect smooth steel and went with things that should yield the desired effect.$WP_20150901_17_22_30_Pro.jpg

Top Bottom