What's new

What did you hone today?

#2 of 3 1"+ henkotsus.

$DSC03852.jpg

Lovely! What ratio do you use for honing Omate to Ura?
I just got a big Henkotsu and it's a new kind of love.

In the meanwhile, I managed to put a very slight frown on this excellent GD 209 by carelessly setting the bevel in sections rather than single strokes:
proxy.php

It still shaves like a dream and I've learned something, just not sure what [emoji3]

I reset the bevel on my Kyoei and it's much better now. It already had a bit of hone wear on the omote side and it turns out the previous owner had honed in a bit of a geometry problem where the heel was not in full contact, and by heel I mean the last 1/4 of the edge or so. I fixed it but it did add a bit of wear. Or rather, the pre-existing wear is now much more even.

After honing on my midrange JNAT I tested it and it was popping at a solid HHT-3 so I decided to shave off of it for fun. It was ok! Not great though, sort of like a previously comfy coti edge that was getting to the point when it tells you it is time to touch up again. I'll finish it today.

I honestly don't pay attention to how much work on both sides. More work on one than the other for sure but I don't have a ratio at all.

These things are beasts!

I honestly don't pay attention to how much work on both sides. More work on one than the other for sure but I don't have a ratio at all.

These things are beasts!

That's good to hear - I'm learning that there's no mystery to kamisori really, both honing and shaving.

I did shed loads of reading and started off 10:1 then tried 15:2 then 12:2 and ended up at 12:3 and actually yes you're right, it doesn't really make any difference...

I definitely prefer the kamisori shape and grind over longer, thinner, more hollow razors. Both omote and ura shave great too, just differently.

$IMG_0392.JPG

Forget how nice (slow too) an edge comes from these green things with a little oil.Le Grelot 14 with no hone wear.

Thank you Sir! They look pretty intimidating but the edges have all surprised me and are extremely gentle!

I definitely prefer the kamisori shape and grind over longer, thinner, more hollow razors. Both omote and ura shave great too, just differently.

It's great to see this stuff here guys!
I too am learning that there's no great mystery to kamisori, just a lot of great shaving [emoji3]
So please keep up the good work.

Hoshi Tombo 6000? Very nice. Beauty of a kiita koppa too.

And bonus points for flying in during Golden Week :)

Stoop
We blew by Tokyo early last week, so the bonus points are not so worthy. This koppa has the tightest blackest kawa on all four sides making it water and earthquake proof.

Alx

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Amazing stone Alex! Glad you're having a good time. My blessings to the Japanese folks recovering from the quake.

Brooksie, nice Turner razor, that one is a prize for sure.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom