What's new

What did you hone today?

Killed the edge and honed up my 5/8 fabrieks merk on my new, old, coticule - the bigger one in the pic. With some advice and encouragement from shakin_jake I've cut down the time I need to spend playing around with dilutions dramatically. Ten minutes from dull to shaving sharp, spent a little longer on the linen than usual and had a very nice shave.

~~~Glad to have been able to help you Gary!

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Took this to my hones last night...First purchased in Feb of this year but forgot about it after sticking it in one of my razor rolls...came across it last night looking for something else and decided to get the hones out...starting with a Norton 1K, but first, I hit it on my bench buffer, black compound then hit it with a little green then Maas by hand. There is a bunch of pitting still there however

So I did some half strokes on the Norton after soaking the Norton for a bit then I went to my Cretan hone, spent some time there, then it was on to my Slurried LPB bout for bevel work until it passed the arm hair test, & passed w/flying colours...

Then it was onto one of my Les Latnueses coticules for a bit of dilutions and I decided to finish up on my little (21-24X145mm) La Vienette
proxy.php

spending quality time doing dilutions, ending up using straight water for a spell, then approx. 60 laps on linen and 40 laps on leather

The balance of the leather laps were done late this afternoon (approx. 50) when I shaved with it for the first time ever and yowsa!, what a nice shaver this one is. Using Cella face lathered, doing a 3 pass w/touch ups, I got BBS Easily! But!, it's the legendary Sheffield Steel and does it ever take the edge. Undoubtedly, one of my best razors, and will likely be seen often

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Here's what I'm working on now:
proxy.php

proxy.php

bought this with a few others last summer from an ebay auction, but it's sat in one of my razor rolls
I got it out about an hour ago and cleaned it up on my bench buffer using black compound and I think it came out well

I have my Norton 1 K that has been soaking in one of my sinks for at least that long but I think I'm going to call it a night and start correcting the bevels tomorrow

no major faults with this razor...the pviot pin is just a skosh sloppy. I suppose if I was industrous I would change the pin out...but it's not sloppy enough IMO to warrant that. I'd like to keep this one totally original, including the pins, plus, all I have right now is brass rods and washers=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

LARK from china *(its RARE according to the seller on EBAY..... :D).... coticule then welsh slate with .5micron diamond slurry in oil......

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt.............

proxy.php

Did an old Sheffield wedge today. Took forever to get a bevel on this one and believe me it's not the prettiest one. The grind was all wonky, about as uneven as I have worked on. Took two layers of tape to get it to take an edge. Once done though she shaved as good as any I'ved used. Some serious steel removal here.

Attachments

• $DSCN0638.jpg
    $DSCN0638.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 117
Honed three razors: Croiseur wedge, Sta Sharp mostly hollow, and ERN 58 half hollow the same way. Surprisingly the wedge was the sharpest.

Taped spine with 3M super88 (starting to hate this tape, leaves lots of adhesive residue on spine)
12 micron until it HHT ~ 120 laps
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 30 laps (paper underneath)
CrOx on balsa 15 laps (except the wedge, didn't want to damage the gold etching)
Iron Ox. on balsa 15 laps (same as above)
Leather strop 60 laps

Results: Had an excellent shave with the Croiseur.

Eat your hearts out Muthas=:)
proxy.php

bought this last June (ebay)...unbeknowst to me the blade had a nice chip near the heel
shank says 6/8 but it measures 13/16 so it's a full 6/8 and then some
proxy.php

(seller didn't mention it IIRC), & at the time all I had to hone with was coti and I needed a more aggressive bevel corrector, so I ended up buying a 1 K Norton yet by the time I recieved the Norton, I had forgoten about this razor, until Monday night and actually, I used my Cretan hone

proxy.php
and 5 minutes or so later the chip was gone

Rest of the hone went like this:

bevel correction with slurried LPB coticule

continues w/dilucot using a 150X50mm Les Latneuses

spine has a slight smile so I thought it best to continue on a 25X160mm Les Lat

60 laps linen, 60 leather

Stropped on leather another 40 laps Tuesday and shaved with it

Wowsa!, she's a big blade, & delivered a comfortable close shave:clap:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Your inbox is full Mr. Jake.

Last night I messed with my Zartina Cutlery Works. I learned to hone on it so it has been throught the ringer. Have to unicot it to get the edge to pop, but when I get it right it is a superb shaver!

Jon

Honed three razors: Croiseur wedge, Sta Sharp mostly hollow, and ERN 58 half hollow the same way. Surprisingly the wedge was the sharpest.

Taped spine with 3M super88 (starting to hate this tape, leaves lots of adhesive residue on spine)
12 micron until it HHT ~ 120 laps
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 30 laps (paper underneath)
CrOx on balsa 15 laps (except the wedge, didn't want to damage the gold etching)
Iron Ox. on balsa 15 laps (same as above)
Leather strop 60 laps

Results: Had an excellent shave with the Croiseur.

Honed four more razors using the same progression including a Wosty wedge. Three scored HHT4, the wedge was between HHT3 and HHT4.

honed a kamisori on welsh slate with .5micron diamond slurry...... then that wasn't quite what i wanted.... i used pink lapping film till it was a hair popping monster....

Yesterday, C.V. Heljestrand MK 33. Used a J-Nat progression for it.

• DMT 1.2K
  • Blue Mountain Aoto
  • Maruichi Maruka Nakayama (Nihon Kamisori)
    • Tenjou
    • Mejiro
    • Tsushima
    • Koma

Last week, a Charles Hake "Extra Hollow Ground" 8/8. Used a weird progression that produces wonderful edges.

• DMT 1.2K
  • Blue Mountain Aoto
  • Takenoko 8K
  • Shapton Pro 12K
  • CrOx on Balsa - 15 laps
  • .25 diamond on leather paddle - 10 laps

Been sitting unprotected (edge) 3-4 months, found some micro chipping
used the Cretan hone to begin removing micro chips
proxy.php

I'm starting to figure out this Cretan hone...I'm using the slurry stone dry to create powder *over* a piece of wax paper, then the hone sits in water for 20 minutes, remove, pour the slurry powder on the Cretan hone and does it ever remove metal quickly. the best part?...okay, it's fast but, it's also a natural stone. My Norton 1K is quickly becoming obsolete, but it does provide a nice base for the Cretan hone to sit atop=:)
proxy.php

next step...LPB coticule bout. raised slurry with the DMT, did sets of 15 1/2 strokes (8?) each side, some x laps on the bout, check for arm hair removal, at 3 points on each side of the blade (heel, toe & inbetween)...passed w/flying colours
Note:I keep the surface wet the whole time w/spray water bottle
proxy.php

I finished doing Dilucot on this light slurried Les Latnueses (50X150mm). I like to do 10-20 x strokes then dilute, repeat, repeat, repeat. 10 seperate water dilutions anyway, maybe more, water only finish, another extremely light laps X 20
proxy.php

finished w/60 laps linen, 60 laps leather. I'll do some more light stropping on leather before I shave with it tomorrow, later today?

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

New release from Boker...
proxy.php

proxy.php

faux tortosie shell schales, and quality schales to boot FWIW
read somewhere, Jarrod's site perhaps?...Boker mixes silver in with the carbon steel for a hard steel...I can attest it is quite hard...I had Jarrod send it to me as it left the factory...their literature included with the blade said the razor must be sharpened before using. yes it does!

I used my Cretan hone and had a tough time establishing bevels...it just wasn't removing metal quickly:huh: but it got the job done. I went on to do my usual progression, stropped, shaved with it last night. I gotta say...I really like this razor

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom