What's new

What did you hone today?

I started at three to hit the chips and then when third layer started to wear I dropped to two in order to bite into the bevel pits a bit to see how deep. Going back up to three tomorrow. Hate the feeling of honing on that much tape

Wade & Butcher hollow ground, I am thinking ivory because I do not see any open pores like bone has. The karasu is Narutaki, stupid big grade 24. Honed up this morning for today's shave.

Alex
proxy.php

Stuning stone Alex in comparasing my koppas look like a fake immitations ha ha a
Rehoned 3 razors today - 2 russian and 1 TI Le gnome on hard kiita

$SIMG0009.jpg

$SIMG0007.jpg

$IMG_0824.jpg

Parker 510 is honed on a coticule, wonder if the strop is really reindeer shell?Its vintage and not dried out, still working real well.Brush is big and made for Henckels by Victoria.Using some oddball stuff for the Sunday shave.

HOTD 08-21-16:

$HOTD-08-21-16.jpg

Last three shaves off the last series of stones were very nice, so it was time to shake things up a little. Around two dozen laps on an oiled coticule and around six laps on an oiled Vermont purple slate. Clear jojoba oil on both.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice looking coticule. Is that BBW or manganese bleeding though in the top right corner?

It's got the bluish blush that Jarrod describes sometimes as looking BBW but isn't. I dunno, does that make it manganese? It's a 2011 vintage verte that had a coarse, toothy feel until used with oil. The sensation with the jojoba oil in starting out is sort of like honing on lather. Then it becomes suction.

Last edited:

David

It's got the bluish blush that Jarrod describes sometimes as looking BBW but isn't. I dunno, does that make it manganese? It's a 2011 vintage verte that had a coarse, toothy feel until used with oil. The sensation with the jojoba oil in starting out is sort of like honing on lather. Then it becomes suction.
I have one or two that have that blushing. It's definitely not BBW so I always called it manganese, but I'm not sure if I'm correct in saying that.

I like your progression. Coti to a French (or unknown purple slate) is one of my favorite progressions. Horribly ugly bevel, but they shave great. I usually do between 10-20 light Laps with oil on the slate.

Yes, the purple slate is sort of like honing on a Lune stone. I also like coticule to purple slate, be it Welsh, Vermont, or French. My recollection is that when Jarrod mentions manganese in the coticule, it's more of a black streaking or inclusion, following a fissure line, rather than a blushed area like this. Given the color, my layman's guess is that it's some sort of watered-down BBW blending with the yellow material. This one is a bit of a looker. It has some natural surface grain that moves in different directions as though roughly lapped that way, crisscrossing and so forth. The liquid wax has since filled the pores, making it less aggressive than before. I could probably use it dry for a little while at this stage, sort of like a Carborundum 118S lined with melted Vaseline.

Last edited:

David

Here's one of mine that had the blushing, but it hasn't made it to the surface yet.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 91
I like that slice. Underneath the blushing, there seems to be some genuine BBW. I have another coti like that where the blushing really comes to the surface. Not that the presence of the BBW is bad. I have a small cross-cut bona fide BBW with diagonal streaking that can really deliver the shaving goods on its lonesome.

Touched up a few on the new Narutaki Asagi today, just used a DN 1200 slurry then tomo slurry and stropped, all are good to go.

$IMG_5197.jpg

After two aborted honings I have a viable edge on this clark. I needed to reel in a belly that was beneath the spine on the back face in the rear which was messing with how the edge was interacting with the hone. Honed it on an old rock coti.$20160825_090620.jpg

The area on the back where it was giving a small bevel at the wrong angle. It seems sorted now

$20160825_090633.jpg

Top Bottom