What's new

What did you hone today?

Have you tried Tuf-Glide or similar protection/lubricant? Maybe that will help protect from rust.
I like the bevel and edge that you have put on that Kogatana.

Honed this last night on the Arkies. I love carbon steel. Takes a razors edge very quickly.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406919562.660814.jpg

11/16 Solingen..
Bevel on Botan Toishi
Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro on Oozuku - stopped at Mejiro, no need to go further.

I when I was putting the razor down, I noticed a glint of light along the bevel that seemed pretty bright - so I figured I'd loupe it.
While looking - I see these parallel lines in the bevel going perpendicular to the edge... can't figure it out. I had the blade partially inside my 4x Fuji, and I rolled it a little bit in my fingers and then I saw something dark scoot by on the bevel - hah.... no, not a bug.

The lines - and the thing that I saw moving - were reflections of grooves on the inside of the loupe's translucent skirt, and the dark thing that that 'moved' was from a crack in the skirt. The bevel was reflecting a perfectly resolved image of the grooves and the crack...
It was like looking at a 1/16" wide photo of the inside of my loupe.

Very cool Keith. When I started my jnat journey I finished on nothing but mejiro. Gunna have to go back to my roots and remember where it all started.

The Zebra arrived from Japan this week. Honing was a breeze.
A bit of bevel work on dmt 600 to get rid of micro chip, then King 1K.
Gem progression, Ruby, grey Agate, Jade, orange Agate, brown Agate.
$e_side.jpg
I test shaved it tonight and it went very well.

Got this big boy in the mail today and honed it up tonight. Was pretty close to shave ready, but it had a small chip in it so I went to the chosera for a brand new bevel. Then vintage coticule and blue green Escher.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406967622.793957.jpg

SE Central!
Darwin x 2
Plum Bristol Wedge
Tiny Heljestrand MK 30 3/8 with a wavy edge
proxy.php

Bevel set on a coarse synthetic then a progression of Welsh slates.

The Darwin came as the result of a trade and I'm so excited to own one.
The two blades both had feathered edges and it took some work to get to the good steel.
I've pasted the Darwin case strop on one side with ferric oxide and on the other with 0.25u diamond paste. It really is a beautiful thing :)

The Plum wedge is for a friend who got the blade with his Wilkinson Roller Shaver. It's identical in size and shape to the Roger blade that came with my Bayard lather catcher and made of a similar very bright but not very dense steel. I finished this SE wedge blade on 0.3u lapping film which gave a very good result with the Roger.

And the tiny Heljestrand, also Paul's - to preserve as much blade width as possible I gave it a big smile with a carborundum slipstone and finished the edge with 0.25u diamond on felt.

A thoroughly satisfying afternoon!

Very cool Keith. When I started my jnat journey I finished on nothing but mejiro. Gunna have to go back to my roots and remember where it all started.

The ironic part is that I spent most of the last week or so shaving off Botan - trying to figure a few things out.
The end of that experiment went very well but I wanted a new fresh edge on the same razor and I had a full arsenal out to hit max.
But - didn't need to get Koma and Tomo into the game. It's a new Mejiro - first time using it. I think it's pretty damn special. Might be as good as or better than my 'blue' Mejis... we'll see.

Some long delayed acquisitions finally got dealt with. I've had this Greaves Frameback since last summer and finally got it some scales that suit it though they are really unfinished G10 and could use some polishing. The stone is a recently acquired Charnley and this is the first razor I tried it on. The HHT seems excellent, but let's wait for the shave to pass judgment.

One odd thing. It seemed that the oil disappeared more quickly on this than on my arkies. For those of you who have used both, am I imagining that?

Also, is it my imagination or does that old English razor just look right with that old English stone?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Bevel set this old boker on a C1k then a full nagura progression on my kiita. Took my time. Worked the slurry to death. Nailed the edge. Took me just over an hour from bevel set to finish.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 83
Haddon brand 5/8 did a little 1500 diamond plate then 4000k then coti with light slurry till it was undercutting nicely and violining then 100 or so on water, stropped and tested was almost there so another 100ish, strop test again and ready for a shave tonight. My stone felt more glassy today and edge felt smoother on the strop compared to my other coti edges.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407130969.620378.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Bengall 15/16 & new to me TI Le Grelot.
Both had the bevel reset on a Naniwa 1K then Wakasa Jnat full nagura progression.
They both took a nice edge and are looking forward to the maiden shave with the TI in the morning.

$20140804_180524.jpg

Working from home and no power for the last 3hrs. I might be going a little hone crazy at the moment. First hht5 results on some parts of the Bismarck and TI.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407198884.705001.jpg

Some long delayed acquisitions finally got dealt with. I've had this Greaves Frameback since last summer and finally got it some scales that suit it though they are really unfinished G10 and could use some polishing. The stone is a recently acquired Charnley and this is the first razor I tried it on. The HHT seems excellent, but let's wait for the shave to pass judgment.

One odd thing. It seemed that the oil disappeared more quickly on this than on my arkies. For those of you who have used both, am I imagining that?

Also, is it my imagination or does that old English razor just look right with that old English stone?
That is just the coolest, most rustic looking stone holder I have ever seen.

That is just the coolest, most rustic looking stone holder I have ever seen.

THANK YOU, DOC!!

A few of of our less discriminating members had some sport at the expense of that holder but I loved it the first moment I saw it and it's only grown on me since then.

Top Bottom