What's new

What did you hone today?

I Refreshed Em' All Today:thumbup:

I decided last night I would employ what I call "The 300" approach on all of my Straight's today. So I did, this way once my finger heals up and I can use them once more I will have all refreshed blades to start with.

"The 300":
100X Laps on the 12K Guangxi with just water, (This has become my finishing stone)
100X Laps on the 50K Diamond Sprayed Duck Cloth Strop
100X Laps on the 200K Diamond Sprayed Duck Cloth Strop

Using this number of laps on each has come to give me the smoothest shaves I have yet to experience so I figured it would be wise to go ahead and get all of my blades up to that level of smoothness at one time to better judge how long it last based on the blade itself since they are all pretty much different grinds, sizes and thicknesses with the exception of 2: My 5/8 Genco Master Cutler and my 5/8 GEO Wostenholm & Sons I-XL "Monkey Tail" they are nearly identical grinds and thicknesses.

$20151011_093732-1.jpg

$20151011_093928-1.jpg

$20151011_094000-1.jpg

$20151011_094111-1.jpg

Now everyone is all honed up and happy and ready to shave once I am able to use them again:thumbup:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Just playing around today. 5/8 Boker. Bevel set on Chosera 1k, then to a nakayama slurried with an old piece of atoma 1200. Didn't dilute, just kept the slurry wet and worked it thoroughly. The edge looks good but I think some scratches are likely hiding behind the curtain. Curious to see how it shaves.

I am going to wear this stone out :lol: anyway needed more practice doing Dilucot so picked another victim (J.A Heckles Platinum)

$IMG_3506.jpg

Last night, I honed a folding Kamisori, marked 'Stamina'.
The asymmetric grind did not give me any trouble.
Bevel on DMT 300/600/1500
Progression on Norton 4K, 8K followed by King 6K and Naniwa 10K.
Finish on ice hone, brown and purple agates.
$Honed.jpg

Another go at it with this J.R. Torrey, tried to slow way down and do more dilutions, bound and determined to figure out this dilucot thing :bored:

$IMG_3521.jpg

All of it gave me trouble. I was tired. Lol.
The shot doesn't really show the bevel well at all, now that I look at it. But - it wasn't too difficult and it's 'even enough' for what I plan to use it for. But my being tired made it a chore.
It's not a great knife, the steel isn't the best, the grinding wasn't polished out correctly.
I got it to beat on.. even though it's 'dressed' up a bit. It's thick, the angle is pretty fat too. Sort of a mini-axe.
If it survives a few rounds of abuse out in the woods, I might keep it around. If not, I might just go for the Kershaw 162.

Honed one of those north Korean razors. I honestly didn't expect much from it so I was pleasantly surprised of it.

It had a convex edge when I received it so started on a 400 grit diamond to get things rolling.

Diamond stones 400-1200. zwilling 3k. Coticule and Russian jasper first the cream coloured side then black. Finished on a horse hide strop. Just gave me a super smooth shave
$20151015_110444.jpg

I did a pitted le grelot on a shapton 500, 1k, vintage coti and one of those weird french/Italian mustard stones at the end. $WP_20151016_20_25_03_Pro.jpg

I'm not familiar with the kershaw 162. Benchmade has a 162 that looks pretty sweet.

Typing too fast, had Kershaw on the brain. For whatever reason, I can't edit the post, I guess they took that function out of the site - which seems a bit ridiculous.

Yes - Benchmade - the 162 and 162-1 are freakin' awesome blades. A bit pricey though. But - that's how it goes I guess.

Well worked on my dilutions today and it seemed to work alittle better doing alot more of them and going slow, still getting a HHT 3 off the stone, not a great solid HHT 3 until after the linen/leather but got a really smooth shave.

$IMG_3604.jpg

Tonight I honed a Lotus (LeGrelot) #357 thumbnotch.
The blade was clean, but the bevel had some chips that the DMT 300 took care of promptly.
Moved up on DMT 600 and then DMT 1500, followed by Norton 4K, Norton 8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K and Shapton 16K.
Finished on brown and purple agates
$Honed.jpg

A nice Greaves, post-stubtail "I am good and will shave well". The second 'l' in 'will' wasn't struck correctly, so it actually reads "I am good and wili shave well"...no biggie as far as I'm concerned. But talk about the simplicity of 19th century advertising. Certainly not Don Draper calling the shots at their firm.
Restored in Brazilwood with acrylic, original lead wedge, new brass pins and washers. Original scales were shot.
Honed on Chosera 1k, Unknown 3k-ish natural, Swedish Loos stone with slurry, La Rose Coticule
Stropped on a vintage C-Mon linen/horsehide. Who wants a mustache ride?!

$Greaves1.jpg

Top Bottom