What's new

What did you hone today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Manaslu M500 from fellow B&Ber Heesoo (Thanks!) honed on the back side of my kanmaki koppa. Naguras are teniyou right, and Nakayama left. Can't tell any difference in the hone faces though the appearance is a bit different. First shave with it tomorrow!

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1647.jpg
    $IMG_1647.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 166
Honed a little frameback from Thiers
$Honed.jpg
DMT600, king 1k, norton 4k, ruby, norton 8k, king 6k, shapton 16K.
Then I tried to finish on my brand new Imperia Rocca which is graded 12 to 15K. Well, it did not quite work out. The scratch lines seem wider than Shapton's 16K so I re-finished on an Agate.
I need to experience more to come to a final conclusion. First attempt was a bit disappointing.

I am about to try honing a Thiers Issard Evide Sonnant Extra and I think I may have an issue .... in the photo attached is the razor, this arrived like this brand new from Thiers Issard, my concern is the toe and heel have bright wide honing marks BUT the center isn't as clearly honed, turning the razor over the centre has a wide honing profile but the heel and toe don't ..... am I seeing a bowed blade is it an issue? $IMG_0734.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I tried my new Imperia La Roccia a bit more thoroughly than on my first attempt.
I took 2 razors, a LeGrelot #7 and a Leopard and honed them the same way.
DMT 600, King 1K, Norton 4K, Norton 8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K and finish on Imperia La Roccia.
The Imperia La Roccia was sold as being 12-15K, which could mean anything.
It looks to be similar in coarseness to the 2 Shaptons.
$Honed.jpg
The steel on the razor felt very different.
The Leopard was full hollow and had a ring to it that sounded like stainless steel.

And while I was at it, I also took care of my new Gevoso (yes new as in NOS).
Similar routine as the 2 previous.
DMT 600, King 1K, Norton 4K, Norton 8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K, but before the Imperia La Roccia, I ran it on the Shapton 16K first.
After the Imperia, I could not resist putting my traditional finish on it: Orange agate follow by brown agate.
$Honed.jpg
This one was interesting to hone as the blade is super-hollow. It made for a minuscule bevel width.

Was bored tonight so I spent some time on this one to take a break from honing razors.

Chosera 1k to clean the bevel up from quick touchups.

Nathan's honing oil on the trans and surgical.

Linen then leather.

I believe I could almost shave with it. Zero resistance against arm hair. And will cut a single sheet of hanging newspaper.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416727138.741288.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416727231.060080.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416727238.930803.jpg

Tonight I honed 2 razors. First a neat little razor from Harris-Goar manufacturing.
I had never heard of that company and I suspect it was just a resaler, but anyway that thing was a pleasure to hone.
DMT 600, King 1K, Norton 4K, Norton 8K, Imperia La Roccia, Jade, Shapton 16K, finish on Agates.
$Harris-Goar manufacturing.jpg

The second was a lot more challenging and the bevel took a very long time.
Similar routine as the other one, with the addition of the use of an Onyx gem stone to work on the bevel.
$Honed.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Revisiting some old friends this Thanksgiving, a 5/8 Puma Ars Divina on a Nakayama koppa.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1674.jpg
    $IMG_1674.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 102
Honed a couple of Rolls Razor blades earlier. I had previously honed them from 12 micron down to 1 micron some time ago so they just got a 1 micron touch up followed by stropping on 0.5 micron on balsa.

Will see how they are tomorrow.

Re-honed this Crown and Sword for a friend.
He asked me if I could take a look at his razor because it did not feel sharp any longer. And indeed, even the bevel was gone.
So I had to work all the way back to the DMT600.
Then King 1K, Norton 4k, Norton 8K, King 6K, Naniwa 10K, Shapton 16K, Jade, Agate.
$Honed.jpg

proxy.php

Wacker handmade 8/8, on La Dressante, Les Lat coti side and Frankonian.
Wacker Stosser Keilschliff 6/8 (near Wedge) on Frankonian only.
Wacker 6/8 just a touchup on Thüri Oilstone.

Greets Sebastian.

Le Grelot 65?
I don't think I have ever seen one of those. Can you post pictures?

My hone tonight was a LeGrelot 361 ("The lord Barber")
$Honed.jpg

DMT 600, King 1K, Norton 4K, Norton 8K, Ruby, Imperia La Roccia, Jade, Agate.

Touched up my Latham & Owen Chef on a washita and a turkey

Took my Girodias to one of my Jnats, shaved, took it to another of my jnats,

Took my Dragonball and a Henry Sears to an unid'ed slate finish.

May add scales to a Joe Rodg Silver Steel and get it beveled before bed.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Honed a 6/8 boker on the "Sauvage en Pointilles" La Dressante bout.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 194
Top Bottom