What's new

What did you hone today?

They're great knives that take great edges. Now if I can just keep a certain someone to stop putting them in the dishwasher I'll be set!

Now if only they'd stop putting those monstrous bolsters that go right to the heel on German knives. It's my biggest pet peeve with them and why, with another few reasons, that I stick with Japanese knives now.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Now if only they'd stop putting those monstrous bolsters that go right to the heel on German knives. It's my biggest pet peeve with them and why, with another few reasons, that I stick with Japanese knives now.
Yeah they're annoying. I'll have some Japanese knives soon. :thumbup1:

I'm not sure to be honest. I've been looking at Takeda quite a bit. Suggestions?

NEW Takedas can be underwhelming with their grind. If you don't mind doing a little thinning they're incredible knives. The other thing about them is that they don't give two craps about rounding choils or spines so depending on your style of grip they can be uncomfortable. With that said you can easily adapt to get around these things.

Depending on where you buy, request that the knife be thinned and the bevel widened. Any reputable seller that deals with Takeda knives will know exactly what you're talking about when you bring it up.

There are LOTS of knives in the Takeda price range so don't limit yourself to just him BUT he is a true master with Aogami Super.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
NEW Takedas can be underwhelming with their grind. If you don't mind doing a little thinning they're incredible knives. The other thing about them is that they don't give two craps about rounding choils or spines so depending on your style of grip they can be uncomfortable. With that said you can easily adapt to get around these things.

Depending on where you buy, request that the knife be thinned and the bevel widened. Any reputable seller that deals with Takeda knives will know exactly what you're talking about when you bring it up.

There are LOTS of knives in the Takeda price range so don't limit yourself to just him BUT he is a true master with Aogami Super.
Great info, thanks Jeremy.
There was a maker that I was looking at a couple months ago but now I can't recall his name. I really wanted one of his knives but when I checked there was a long waiting list and I didn't pursue it any further.

$IMG_4508.jpg

Jerry Stark 7/8-D2 steel. A most hard substance. Works best on the Naniwa SS rocks. Did a 5, 8, 12k progression. Had so much fun I cracked out the coticule for some dilicout work on my Robert Williams and Tim Zowada 6/8 blades. Set for the holidays

Had a Member send me a MK31 to touchup, the razor was in pretty good shape so polished it a tad with some Flitz then tightened up the hinge pin as the blade just kind of fell out and then used the 1K to set the bevel ( These Swedish Gals like it rough :lol:) anyway after some pressure on the 1K went thru the 4/8K Shaptons then finished on a Nakayama with a DN slurry and then 25/100 on linen/leather and the HHT was very good so hopefully it shaves well.

$IMG_5750.jpg

In my quest to get better and better edges and to cure some cold weather bordom i took this one thru a total progression and based moving to the next stone by feel and undercutting I also added a tomo at the end of the progression, I normally just do a DN 1200 slurry so we will see how the morning shave goes.

$IMG_5754.jpg

Experimenting to keep it simple:
proxy.php

Bevel set on a vintage India then diluticot Coticule only all the way through to the finish for the lovely 6/8 Kropp.

Bevel set for the two Henkotsus at a 5:1 Omote:Ura ratio then Coticule all the way through and a finish on 1u film.

I'd been trying to add sharpness to the Coticule edge with a Thuri and pastes but actually sticking longer with the dilutions of slurry and finishing with plain water on the Coticule has produced an amazingly good edge on the Kropp.
Think I must be learning something... [emoji3]

Polished up my Takeda 240mm K-Tip Gyuto to remove some heavy meat/acidic patina.

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BN18wqmDLMY/?taken-by=jeremybrooks13[/video]

Last edited:
Top Bottom