What's new

What did you hone today?

Coticules of course :yesnod:

proxy.php

Just a touch up...using both of the Les Latnueses coticules this razor is lying on

I rub both together to create slurry...started out with the 50X150mm

some 1/2 strokes, light slurry, finished up on the 40X150mm, what slurry was left

from rubbing against the other les lat, more 1/2 strokes lightly

rinsed, maybe 60 x strokes, stropped 60/60 linen/leather

HHT4 after stropping

delightful shave followed lathering up w/DR Harris Arlington Shave Soap

Semogue 830 Boar Shave Brush, then Arlington A/S & a spritz of

Arlington EdC

~Life is beautiful~

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

That Schlieper again! Very nice Jake.

Honed up a 5/8 W&B and a Wester Brothers 11/16. Both were done with Chosera 1K then 5um, 3um, 1um then 1um with paper then to .5 diamond then .25 diamond. Finished off with scrub leather then srd premium.

Honed Frederick's Old English wedge razor on Naniwa 3/8k, 1um film, then called it quit for the night. I'm thinking to get back on it at 8k tomorrow, I went to 1um a little early.

Honed my Dorko #856 on Shoubudani JNAT. Did Botan-Tenjou-Mejiro-Shoubu Tomo, then moved to Ozuku Asagi with Kiita Tomo....HHT2-3 right off the stone & 4-5 after stropping. Should shave well!

Here we go again=:) Seller (BST) said it's 13/16 IIRC...I've yet to measure but I don't doubt that it is

proxy.php

it had a few small chips on the edge so I cleaned that away using Chosera 1K. Not many laps later,

I went to slurried La Petit Blanche for 1/2 strokes for a bit. FWIW, I never checked using the arm hair shaving test...I felt confident it was there. It's a very good test but again, I knew I was there. This blade is almost new. According to the seller he bought it NOS, it was honed once and looked every bit the part

Anyways, this is the second time in as many weeks where I used my trusty little LPB bout for virtually a full dilucot. What's significant about that...I've mainly been using this bout for bevel correction for way better than a year. It's a great bevel correcting stone (the LPB vein), but it's also a very mellow finisher. Edges like butter (smooth) I have other coti finishers, and have been using them. It's really nice though to get back to working with this stone from start to finish

Yes I cheated starting out on the Chosera 1K, but it's such a good choice for the opening act

Before I forget. It was only two years ago (March 2011) that I started honing my own straight razors, and I started with this particular bout. And I vividly recall how difficult it was for me to learn this stone. Now, I can crank out a blade on it, end up with HHT4 easily, in no time at all. It took me quite awhile to get there, looking back on it all. So for those new guys that are just starting out using coticules to hone with, particularly the ones that are beginning to learn honing period (starting with coti). There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will get there. If I can do it, you can surely do it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Before I forget. It was only two years ago (March 2011) that I started honing my own straight razors, and I started with this particular bout. And I vividly recall how difficult it was for me to learn this stone. Now, I can crank out a blade on it, end up with HHT4 easily, in no time at all. It took me quite awhile to get there, looking back on it all. So for those new guys that are just starting out using coticules to hone with, particularly the ones that are beginning to learn honing period (starting with coti). There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will get there. If I can do it, you can surely do it

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Great words of encouragement, Jake. I remember when I first got my first La Grise, I thought for sure I would never be able to learn it; coticules just seemed so "out of my realm" and difficult....but you stick with it & keep practicing, and good things will & do happen!!

Great words of encouragement, Jake. I remember when I first got my first La Grise, I thought for sure I would never be able to learn it; coticules just seemed so "out of my realm" and difficult....but you stick with it & keep practicing, and good things will & do happen!!

~~~I'm trying to reach out to the new honers that just bought coticules. I've watched over the course of two years here where a new honer buys a coticule, tries to learn it, gets frustrated and you see him put the stone up on BST. It doesn't have to come to that, nor should it. I think some of them are impatient, wanting instant gratification. As you know, it don't work like that :nonod:

Getting back to my little LPB bout...as mentioned, it was my very first coticule, and as I said, I have not used it for a full dilucot for well over a year and was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it was to get HHT4 after stropping...2 razors in as many weeks. The feedback (when to move through dilution) IMO is the best of any coticule I own and I have a half dozen others (3 Les Latnueses, 2 la Vienette, 1 la verte)

It just kind of blows me away, to think this short little piece of rock is so easy to use, is fast, and gives buttery smooth edges effortlessly. When more of us were using LPB, back when they were plentiful and sort of the stone du jour, you used to read comments like how they would slurry dull, and I was one of them writing those comments :001_005:

I don't think there is anything magical going on when you hone using a coticule and it all falls into place, it just takes practice and persistence but I also want to advocate for those that can to hold on to some of their troublesome stones...the ones they are having trouble getting good edges with. One day, when the user revisits said stone, like I found, you may have a real jewel there. I know I do with this lpb bout :yesnod:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

~~~I'm trying to reach out to the new honers that just bought coticules. I've watched over the course of two years here where a new honer buys a coticule, tries to learn it, gets frustrated and you see him put the stone up on BST. It doesn't have to come to that, nor should it. I think some of them are impatient, wanting instant gratification. As you know, it don't work like that :nonod:

Getting back to my little LPB bout...as mentioned, it was my very first coticule, and as I said, I have not used it for a full dilucot for well over a year and was pleasantly surprised to find how easy it was to get HHT4 after stropping...2 razors in as many weeks. The feedback (when to move through dilution) IMO is the best of any coticule I own and I have a half dozen others (3 Les Latnueses, 2 la Vienette, 1 la verte)

It just kind of blows me away, to think this short little piece of rock is so easy to use, is fast, and gives buttery smooth edges effortlessly. When more of us were using LPB, back when they were plentiful and sort of the stone du jour, you used to read comments like how they would slurry dull, and I was one of them writing those comments :001_005:

I don't think there is anything magical going on when you hone using a coticule and it all falls into place, it just takes practice and persistence but I also want to advocate for those that can to hold on to some of their troublesome stones...the ones they are having trouble getting good edges with. One day, when the user revisits said stone, like I found, you may have a real jewel there. I know I do with this lpb bout :yesnod:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Timely observations, Jake (and btw, I was one of the people you helped). I shaved with three straights this morning to test the edges I'd put on them earlier in the week with my jnats and two of the three were disappointing. They shaved fine and for many people they would have been "ok", but only one of the three had that extra level of keenness that makes one go wow. Got me thinking about inconsistent results in my honing and how to fix that. The point is, that it's not only that we need to be patient and get better over time, but that there's a pendulum over that same time span in which we go forward and then backwards before we go forward again.

If you're not enjoying the process of getting there, then that's what is wrong with your honing.

W&B 17/16 FBU

Okudo Suita for the grunt work, Nakayama Maruka Asagi for the finish.
Assorted friends in the background.

proxy.php

Top Bottom