What's new

What did you hone today?

Union Cutlery Ga. 11/16

DMT 600/Chosera 1K then to La Veinette coticule diluticot, TM linen/leather 60/60

Attachments

• $P1010470 (640x480).jpg
    $P1010470 (640x480).jpg
    237 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I touched this guy up yesterday, but the edge just wasn't there. Well I went back today and finished on oil and it's probably the best edge I've created for myself yet.

To Doc, Paco, Slash and all you other oil on coti offenders...thank you. I think this is how I'll finish all my edges for the time being.

Attachments

• $2012-10-14_12-31-42_276.jpg
    $2012-10-14_12-31-42_276.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 158
I touched this guy up yesterday, but the edge just wasn't there. Well I went back today and finished on oil and it's probably the best edge I've created for myself yet.

To Doc, Paco, Slash and all you other oil on coti offenders...thank you. I think this is how I'll finish all my edges for the time being.
Awesome. You are now banned-at least in my book.

Gold Dollar 66 finished on a Guangxi stone.

This was the first razor hone I picked up about three years ago but has been neglected due to a little bout of HAD. The edge I got off it tonight was among the best I've even gotten, it's a wonderful little stone. I found the feedback perfect, the razor pretty much said "I'm done" as it sucked down onto the hone for the last few strokes. I started with a light slurry and diluted down to water.

Dirt cheap razor, dirt cheap stone, fantastic shave.

Attachments

• $Gold Dollar Guangxi.jpg
    $Gold Dollar Guangxi.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 151
Cutlery World 5/8 - just got off BST and it had been closing onto warped scales which nicked area near toe. Used an LPB bout with slurry to get edge back and bevel set, then finished on Lapping film progression folllwed by CrOx on webbing and stropping. Shave this moring was excellent.

touched up my puma special on my la vainette ..I brought this lovely puma from bob keyes, and it was a toss up between another duble duk or the puma...bob adviced me on the puma...I have lots of lovely razors but the puma realy does deliver a astonishing shave with bags of smoothness and wicked sharp ege straight of the coticule... take a look at this puma razor .

gary

Attachments

• $538767605734.jpg
    $538767605734.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 126
  • $592431523023.jpg
    $592431523023.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 125
Bought this from a member through BST last week
proxy.php

proxy.php

...came in the mail today, the edge under magnification looked good but, I dulled the edge running it over a drinking glass then took it to my Cretan hone to start bevel correction
proxy.php

I raised slurry on the Cretan using my 600 DMT, and just enough to get a skim milk coloured slurry going and worked the razor doing 1/2 strokes, about 15 reps each side then took a look with my loupe, to see where I needed to work on. I forget how many laps I did, then I went over to my la petit blanc coticule bout
proxy.php

raised slurry on that one using my 600 DMT too. I stayed with 1/2 strokes entirely on this bout. the goal is to get the best possible bevel corrected edge, so I worked it a bit, same bit, 15 reps, flip, take a look, keep going
proxy.php

Now I'm working the edge, still doing 1/2 strokes, but I'm on my Les Latnueses...workin, workin, workin, stayin entirely with 1/2 strokes. So that was the bevel correction progression. All bevel correction done on a three stone progression using 1/2 strokes. Light slurry each stone, keepin it wet then I did 15? x strokes lightly on the les lat, rinsed the blade, dried it w/paper towel and took it to my forearm checking to see how well it popped hairs on my arm, toe-heel, inbetween, both sides of the blade. Total success!, it popped arm hairs very well all up and down. diligence pays off

I liked the slurry I had going on les lat so I stayed with it doing a bit of dilucot for a while then I thought I'd go over to my la verte coticule

proxy.php
I don't know how but there was some light scratches in the surface of la verte so, I got out the DMT 600 again, lapped la verte, then took another coti and polished la verte, keeping some slurry on top and began doing x strokes. I lost count, 50 x strokes maybe?, then I rinsed la verte well, rinsed the razor well and started in again doing x strokes on straight water. No real count but 50 + light x strokes anyways
proxy.php

what's the j-nat doin here?...well, I was going to finish on the j-nat but I had a feeling I got stellar results off la verte so after la verte, I rinsed the razor, dried it, stropped 20 laps on linen (3" Walkin Horse syn/lin linen) then 40 laps on my new 3" Kohl & Laibach cowhide strop
proxy.php

checked HHT after stropping and saw HHT4 up and down the edge...no need to go to the j-nat tonight. I'll shave with it later Tuesday (today), about mid afternoon as I shaved Monday mid afternoon...not enough whiskars (yet) to whack off to test this chopper out

Some thoughts on the blade...big sucker!, & fairly even bevels up and down both sides. Feedback while honing was telling, & I felt I got the edge I did (at the end) because of the time I spent correcting the bevels. Starting out and staying with natural hones through a progression is pure honing bliss for me.

The PO sent me a link identifying various Schlieper trade marks and when they were used. According to the article I read, this razor was built no earlier than 1970, as that's when Schlieper began using the eye insignia trade mark

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

at least your stones are all getting good use, i like my tiny la verte the edges seem to be nice and keen of mine , wished i could get one same size as yours, don't se many around now.the la patite blanche is a nice bout ..

gary

at least your stones are all getting good use,

~~~well, unlike some others here (Scott=:), I can't seem to ever put any of mine up for sale, & no sense not using them, right?, so especially with bevel correction, I'm finding I like to do a progression (multi stone useage) during bevel correction. Enough laps on one w/o going over board and *not* doing the whole BC (bevel correction) on the one hone.

This also gives me a chance to regularly use hones like my Cretan, a natural hone to use in the front of bevel correction, and then I like to use my one and only bout, the LPB during bevel correction if for no better reason than to get the blade on a 3" hone, a la coticule, but I also like to practice 1/2 strokes on a narrower hone (50X150mm les lat), but 50mm isn't so narrow, is it? Still, it's just me but, I like to break up bevel correction and do it on more than one hone, just to change it up

for the longest time, like many others here, while satisfying HAD, I was concentrating on accumulating finishers. Then it dawned on me what I was missing, and that was, I needed to do the same with bevel correction specific hones, that's when the Chosera came along as I already had the Cretan, and of course I also had the Norton which isn't getting any use. One day I'll put the Norton 220/1K on BST. But in the meantime, tomorrow will do

(note) that's the beauty of using coticules for honing. a single coticule can be used as a finisher, or as a bevel corrector. can't say the same for synthetics

i like my tiny la verte the edges seem to be nice and keen of mine , wished i could get one same size as yours,

~~~my la verte is a standard, 40X150mm. FWIW, I paid Jarrod $63 including tax & shipped to my door...and some of them are still trying to convince others that coticules are expensive. $60 is expensive?, for a one stone honing solution? Admittedly, when I bought la verte, I was using it strictly as a finisher, then Jon asked to borrow it, he told me he loved the dilucots he was getting from it, so naturally when I got it back from him, I immediately did a dilucot with it. Bingo!, and I thought (initially) it was too slow on slurry

while discussing la verte, my exp w/the one I have...for one reason or another, I've always enjoyed using it lapping it first with DMT, to get it absolutely flat. I know, I'm the odd man out, most peeps around here using coticules do not even come close to lapping their cotis with DMT like I do. that siad, I started doing it w/la verte because, after a bit, the surface always felt bumpy to me, the feedback I got through the razor, like the surface was rippled. And too, as you know, la verte is one of the harder coticules around, and mine felt like I was honing on a slap of some sort of rubbery plastic. Rubbery as in not like a hard piece of acrylic, yet plastic w/some give, but in no way soft like les lat, lpb

that's my story and I'm sticking with it. I just get better results lapping it first

don't se many around now.

~~~wouldn't you say that's because Maurice was mining them for a bit, sold what he had lying around to folks like Jarrod. Now Maurice is mining other layers? (la grise comes to mind)...you see a lot of la grise for sale nowadays

the la patite blanche is a nice bout ..

gary

~~~Thank you!, that was my first ever coticule, and truth be told, at the time I bought it (along with my first straight razor, from Jarrod), what I really wanted was a rectangle shaped coticule. I went to Jarrod's shop in person when I bought that bout and my 1st straight razor, Jarrod was actually showing me smaller bouts and I looked at them wondering how in the hell can I hone on them, so I told him bigger, show me something bigger, and that is the one I left with

While I'm relating my first experiences with that bout, I didn't have a friggin clue how to use it. Scott helped me immensely, having me over to his place, showing me how to use it. I truly did not know jack about that bout in the early days, and also what helped me along, thinking, while on my own, was when I bought a 40X150mm BBW from Jarrod, and used it after bevel correction, to polish (100 wet slurried x stroke laps), then around that same time I bought a 40X150mm les lat, my first les latnueses, to use after the BBW on water only, just like Bart spells out in his progressive honing chapter.

For anyone following along reading this, especially the new guys that either just bought their first coticule, & their first hone to boot, and to those that are on the fence thinking about buying a coticule for their first hone, and to those that bought a coticule and are having trouble with it... Know this. There is a light on at the end of the tunnel=:)

yeah, so I struggled at first, but I wouldn't give up those experiences for anything, and I'm so glad I did not begin (like anyone cares=:) honing with synthetic stones, not that there's anything wrong with them but I believe my brothers that started with them when they tell me the edge from the syn stones is no where as nice as the Wisconsin buttery edges you get shaving from coticule honed razors

getting back to the lpb bout and why I keep it, I enjoy using it as a bevel setter. lpb is fast on slurry. it corrects a bevel lickety split. it's also fun now that I know what I'm doing with it, to use it for dilucot (once in a great while), even though it's so short in length. As others know, the big coticule secret is, it doesn't take many laps (nor much in the way of time), to go from dull to shave ready on *any* coticule. Sorry, but I digress

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

great story jake and everything yu say i experianced . my first coticule was about. I did'nt have a friggin clue. i actualy thought what the hell , what is all the fuss about. For some reason i just had to learn how these things worked. Bart came along and he was the main man and still is .. I had a razor honed by him and it blew me away. Thats when i practised every night. my first magical shave was what got me hooked ...

I have tryed the newer la grise combo and la gise slate based ..i realy did'nt get on with them, they feel two soft to me and seem very slow on ater which makes them hard very hard to hit max keeness. Infact danjared has one of mine . i think he is having similar experiance, i'll most likely hear from him soon.

the la verte i have is 100x28mm it s hard but it works so easy , even that size. 150x40mm is my favourite size i wished mine was that size...not sure if any of the harder la verte s are around..Any how my small one works fine. my la vainette 150x40mm is also harder and exallnat stone . I have creatan hone which is great bevel setter and removes chips well.. i agree that you carn't beat the buttery edges a coticule can deliver ...

gary

My brand new Takami wedge just came in today from the BST so I honed it up. Set the bevel on a Naniwa 3K and progressed on my Asagi, Wakasa and finished it on the chinese 12K.

It was a lot of work being a full wedge but it seems like one of the sharpest razors I have now. Can't wait for the shave test!
$DSC_0432.jpg$DSC_0436.jpg

Gary,

How do you like your Cretan? Do you have synthetic bevel setters as well?

I like te creatan hone, its fast enough , i have removed chip with it. I have a 1 K C also and thats a very nice stone . they both work well creatan hone leaving smoother edge . 1k c does leave a nice smooth edge compared to other 1k's , nothing te coticule won't remove . My creatan hone makes slurry realy well so its quite easy to use ..

gary

Lezcha 7/8 Kamisori.

White Iyoto, Mikawa Shiro Botan, Asano Tenyjou, Mejiro, Koma, water on a Takashima Karasu, 30 laps on cotton, 60 on leather. HHT 5.
$a266a26660b1ccb4af1a31e40bc01a3f.jpg

GD 66 for a new PIF for newbies. Went nuts on a washita and slurry-heavy coti for awhile to give it a bevel, then had some fun with slurried BBW, watered BBW, slurried CNAT, watered CNAT, then for good measure oiled-up SB Arkie. Can't tell which way is root-out with an HHT test, pops easily both directions. In the past, when razors were this keen coming off the SBArk, they were just tooo sharp for me, and not all that smooth. I'll give it a go tomorrow. If it's the same way, I'll CNAT it and be done...I don't think a noob would enjoy it much otherwise.

Scheön Burg #665 13/16 Toyo frameback and Dovo Special Tortoise 6/8 both honed on coticule (with slurry to refine bevel) followed by lapping film progression, 0.25 diamond spray on felt, CrOx on webbing, and about 75X on leather.

Scheön Burg #665 13/16 Toyo frameback and Dovo Special Tortoise 6/8 both honed on coticule (with slurry to refine bevel) followed by lapping film progression, 0.25 diamond spray on felt, CrOx on webbing, and about 75X on leather.
sounds like an ideal progresion.

gary

Top Bottom