What's new

What did you hone today?

And to get this back on track I am going to try to hone my multi-purpose misc folding knife and see if it can shave arm hair. heh

Will be using my DMT 600/1200 for this. Will be my first knife. I might try adding layers of tape for a consistent bevel angle.

Last edited:
John Clarke & Son 6/8" was stoned

King 1000/6000 combi + BBW + Coticule + Chinese 12K.

That was a great experience today, the edge off of the 1000 side almost popped arm hairs. Unless I have messed things up afterwards, I should be in for a treat.
Test shave tomorrow - can hardly wait.

Actually, I don't think I want to advertise that... then I would have to have the "vegetarian conversation" another billion times. :lol:

You're a vegetarian?
Yes
So... you don't eat any meat?
No
What about chicken?
No, no meat at all
Oh... do you eat fish?
No
What about like shrimp and stuff? Lobster?
No... actually, if it was an animal I don't eat it.
Oh... is that like for animal rights?
Well, animal rights are fine, but that's not why I don't eat meat
Oh... like it's a religious thing?
lol... no.
You like watching your weight or something?
No, I actually just don't like meat... I think it's gross.
*very long pause* I don't get it

lol! But you forgot the dreaded "Where do you get your protein from?"

As if ANYONE in the US has EVER been sick because of lack of protein (oh, I'm sure there are a few, but in 10 years of being a vegetarian, I've never heard of one, except in impoverished nations)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
lol! But you forgot the dreaded "Where do you get your protein from?"

I would never insult a vegetarian by asking them where they get their protein. I ask them "Where do you get the strength to hone?" :lol:

Actually, I ask them if they can name the essential amino acids and if they know which veggies to mix to get them.

Just because you can't hear that carrot scream when you rip it loose from its roots, doesn't mean it doesn't have feelings.
(Quote from my friend Gary.)

I did not hone anything today. A few days ago I honed a machete using a belt sander. The shrubbery on the back of the house is my arm hair for this one.

9/8 W&B: touch-up w/ BBW created a very sharp, very mellow edge:thumbup1:

And some tools:
Morakniv: 400 grit carborundum > King 1k
Mora carving knife: King 1K > BBW
E.A Berg, various chisels: DMT 600 > King 1K > BBW

Tested the John Clarke & Son I honed yesterday.
Due to my lack of skills to hone, I couldn't get a proper edge with my BBW and Coticule, but with the 1000/6000 combo stone, the BBW, the Coticule and ending with the Chinese 12K the result was beyond my anticipation and hope.
Just stropped on linen and leather before the shave.

Result: DFS and a big smile.

It might have been down to luck, but I'll definitely try the same sequence with a couple of other "difficult" razors.
Once I get the touch I might be able to do without the combo stone, but for now it seems to work quite nice (unless it was luck).

Weyersberg Cornetta 13/16
Bevel set on a DMT 1200
Dilucot method on my La Grise coticule

Will shave tomorrow and let you know how she shaves:thumbup1:

proxy.php

Touched up three Pumas on the Thuringian.

Did a Henckels on DMT 1200, Coticule, Thuri.

Waiting on a Franconian and a Shoubudani :w00t::w00t::w00t:!

My HAD got real bad after many months in a dormant state.

Honed an Easy Aces. 1.2k, Aoto, Nakayama Honyama, Shoubudani Asagi. Holy smokes what a fantastic edge and provided a flawless shave.

Touched up my Boker on my LGB coti bout. Heel wasn't popping like the rest, still isn't but it's better. Might need more attention than I felt like affording it so early in the morning.

16 mm Bahco (right after merge w/ E.A Berg) chisel.
I felt from the start that this one was gonna go far..
DMT 325 / DMT 600 / King 1K / King 6K / Awaseto Honoyama / 2.5μ diamond paste on leather / 1.5μ diamond paste on leather.

Nice to have a chisel that can pass the HHT (seriously, it does) :biggrin1:
Too bad it's not mine...

And a few more chisels:
LUNA 20 mm
LUNA 14 mm
LUNA 8 mm

all done w/ DMT 325 / DMT 600 / King 1K / King 6K

And a few razors:

F.W Söderén 5/8 frameback:
DMT 600 / Naniwa SS 1K / BBW / Naniwa SS 10K / 1μ HA diamond on balsa / 0.5μ HA diamond on hard felt / 0.25μ diamond on hard felt

C.V Heljestrand 6/8 frameback:
Touch-up w/ Naniwa SS 10K / vintage Thuri

Legion

Staff member
Tonight I tried to hone a Timor for a guy at work, which looks as though someone has made an attempt previously with a power too. Needless to say, it was a failure, and will continue to be unless I breadknife the edge square with the spine again.

To make myself feel better, and to check I had not lost my honing mojo, I sharpened a Bengall restoration, from bevel setting right up to pastes. That went much better. :glare:

Touched up three Pumas on the Thuringian.

Did a Henckels on DMT 1200, Coticule, Thuri.

Waiting on a Franconian and a Shoubudani :w00t::w00t::w00t:!

My HAD got real bad after many months in a dormant state.

Oh man, first John and now you. I specifically had a disclaimer in my post that I'm not responsible for flaring up cases of HAD :tongue_sm
says the guy with a La Veinette, La Grosse Blanch, and La Petite Blanch coticule on the way....

Top Bottom