What's new

What did you hone today?

rick's razor aka rickboone1

You are the master of the Llyn Melynllyn. I bow to your greatness... I love that tonsorial gem you gave me... It's the only 4/8 razor that I didn't get rid of!

I need you to do a rescale for me... I like owning other people's work...

Honed the following razors using lapping film:
Spike wedge by Union Cutlery
Sheaf 3/8 wedge
Gath & Chaves full hollow

This way:
15 micron ~ 60 laps
12 micron ~ 60 laps
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 90 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 30 laps (paper underneath)
CrOx on balsa 10 laps
Iron Ox on balsa 10 laps

$7000278958_a1e3dc933b_b.jpg
Jon (Raithskar) loaned this coticule to me...ooh how I love me some Dressante:001_wub:

FWIW, first time for me using this vein, ever...hard rock, made lots of slurry amd fast everywhere, except it slowed down a little on straight water...but oh the resulting edge I got...Text book coti...smooth, smooth, smooth, and the whiskars melted off my face. Best coticule edge I ever got on any razor. I'm not sure of it's the marriage of this stone and this razor or what. I'ma gonna find out soon Louigi...s'more razors are on deck

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I honed up a couple of my Heljestrands on this 150x35 vintage after i finally got it smooth. I only lapped .25 mm from it but it took forever and then to get it smooth was a chore in itself. Its about as hard as a coticule can get and the top feels like smooth ceramic. It has a medium speed on slurry and just a little faster than slow on water only. It certainly polishes well while still refining the edge the whole time. The stone is very very fine too and very quiet when using.The surface is just as fine as Thuringians. I really enjoyed the shave from my MK33 today after a touchup on it.

Attachments

• $IMG_3746.jpg
    $IMG_3746.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 117
  • $SS851830.jpg
    $SS851830.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 119
Honed My Friodur last night. I still need to work on it, it can be a fickle razor when it wants to. That is my La Grise in the background.

Jon

Attachments

• $Friodur2.jpg
    $Friodur2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 110
My third honing to date: W. H. Sample 6/8
2k Gesshin, 4k GS, 8k Gesshin, 16k GS, 1m CrOx, .3m CrOx, PMS. Let you know if it shaves well................

proxy.php

Got the urge to do a full dilucot on my La Verte Coticule....I've owned this hone since last summer IIRC yet all I've ever used it for has been as a finisher. Well, all that changed late yesterday afternoon...I did my first dilucot on it, via Bart's improved technique, which is using 1/2 strokes all the way through to the finish on water, then completing w/X-Strokes

I first dulled the edge on a coffee cup, then sets of 30 1/2 strokes each side till it shaved arm hair. I didn't count but, it didn't take long, then I moved to sets of 15 keeping the milky slurry wet until I felt I couldn't accomplish anything more so I moved onto rinsing half the slurry off and did close to a dozen sets of 20 reps (1/2 strokes), totally rinsed the stone/razor and finished doing sets of 20 on straight water...til it felt right, then I switched over to rolling X's...easily 100 lightening them up as I went along

Stropped 60 linen, 80 leather...finito! I promptly built a Tabac soap lather (face, Omega 48 brush) sticking a hot wet towel on top of it all for a few mintues, wiped it off, built another face lather then the shave

Magnifico! That was 9 hours ago and I'm just now feeling stubble begin to creep back up

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Boker Red Injun 301
Bevel set on king 1k, coticule w/ slurry, and finished on my little thuringian(pictured).
proxy.php

Thanks I just shaved with it. It's much lighter than my other razors, it is a very thin blade, but the edge it took more than made up for the lack of weight.

found this in my rural mailbox Wednesday-
proxy.php
took it to my buffer...black compound, then green compound...hit the schales too (green compound), and wiped between the schales with a damp 3M pad with dish wash detergent on it, to rid it of any dirt, rinse, dry, some Maas hand polishing

then it was on to the hones
proxy.php

used the green Chosera 1 K with straight water only...I like this hone, a lot

then it was all Dressante. I used La Verte to raise sluerry

mostly 1/2 strokes...sets of 30 til it cut arm hair well, then I stepped down to sets of 15 for a bit

then it was time to rinse half the stone and I was doing sets of 20 1/2 strokes...not sure how long (til it felt right=:)

then I rinsed the stone and the razor, til clean and more 1/2 strokes...sets of 20, a bunch

finished (1/2 hour ago) yusing rolling x's then 60 linen/70 leather laps on strop

haven't shaved with it yet

oh!....no HHT's...I feel confident in my honing abilites and kept an eye on it throughout using a 10 X loupe

FWIW, it popped arm hair well at the toe, heel and inbetween both sides before moving off the sets of 30 1/2 strokes...and I did some light x strokes before doing the arm hair shave test

additional honing notes:

starting out on the Chosera, I was doing sets of 15 reps, 1/2 strokes...2 each side, then examined the edges with the loupe

I could see that the toe on both sides wasn't hitting the hone, nor were the heels on either side

so I spent time to blend all four corners to come together with the central parts of the blade

and this is where I like doing 1/2 strokes on the 40X150mm coticule for I can break up a set of 30 reps (1/2 strokes) on each side of the blade and get the entire blade honed evenly. progress is easily checked looking for even under cutting along the entire bevel of each blade side doing some x strokes inbetween the majority of 1/2 strokes

*and*, all of the buffer work, I had a large cup of ice water present to keep the metal cool while removing patina

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Nice work Jake, any chance of an after photo of the face of the blade to see how the etch looks? I might need to look into getting some buffing tools.

I got a dmt d8c from CyiDev, spent last night and a while today playing around with cheap knives, a few beater razors and lapping stones. Then I had to play around with some nicer razors as a few finishers I've not lapped in some time have a new lease of life.

Was planning on taking my wa-gyuto to it today but I think I'll play around a little more with practice blades as this thing is quite a jump in cutting power from the King 1k I'm used to.

Attachments

• $2.JPG
    $2.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom