What's new

What did you hone today?

Honed a Genco Master Barber on my La Dress last night. It did not come out like I wanted so I am going to revisit it over the weekend. It is on loan from the one and only Shakin' Jake.

Thanks for the loan Jake! It is a great little razor.

Jon

Honed up my Mappin Three Shilling Razor tonight. I managed a serviceable edge the last time I honed this a few months ago but after an hour going slowly on the coti between light slurry and water I think I've cracked it. The bevel is still a little wonky but the shave was smooth and effortless.

Attachments

• $mappin_coti.jpg
    $mappin_coti.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 196
Yesterday honed the following razors with lapping film

Boker King Cutter
Friodur 70 1/2 INOX (stainless)
Hess 44 INOX (stainless)
Tennis 80

This way:
12 micron until HHT1 or 2 (HHT1 can easily shave arm hair)
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 90 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
1 micron ~ 30 laps (paper underneath)
CrOx on balsa 10 laps
Iron Ox on balsa 10 laps

Attachments

• $IMG_1129.jpg
    $IMG_1129.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Dovo BQ half hollow 5/8 for a "touch up" on Naniwa 12k.

This Dovo, (aka my crash test dummy), felt ok off the 8k, but a little rough compared to others in my rotation. Started off with 40 / 40 no pressure circles -> 20 X strokes with light slurry, repeated the above without slurry. Got a noteable amount of swarf off the slurry. End result was blade popped arm hair like there was no tomorrow. 40 linen / 100 leather after. The Shave test, however, left something to be desired; not as close as other blades off the 8k, and still a bit rough, even on only a 24h beard.

The saving grace here is that the BQ acted the same way on the 8k... really balked at my first attempt, but responded well to a second round. So.. onto plan B; try the above plus a series with a bit more pressure first.

Raise it up...see who salutes.

I honed 2 near identical Gencos for comparison over the last two days. One with a coticule then a blue/green Escher and another with a progression of naniwa up to 12k then a JNAT I recently bought. Very pleased with both edges. Not sure, but I think the JNAT one may have been slighlty more comfortable.

My new 8/8 Friodor. It was supposed to some shave ready, it was not.

I hone it using a coticule, finished on oil. Will shave with it later today.

I like the blade a lot, I will have to swap out the scales.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Dovo Bismarck 6/8 and a Boker Tree Brand 5/8 on a LPB Coticule (slurry and diluted) to re-establish bevel (was close at starting). Finshed on Lapping film progression 5u 3u 2u 1u and 0.3u cleaned on Felt with 0.25 diamond spray, plus CrOx on web strop and finally horsehide plain leather - wicked sharp!

Someone was a busy fella. Looking good Tony.

Thanks Rick. I was busy for a while today. I got a chance to try the lapping film today. WOW! Talk about a sharp but smooth shave. I did 4 from scratch (C-Mon, W&B Celebrated Hollow Ground, Golden Rod Special, Sterling) and a touch up on the Henckels 80 and CVH Mk No4. Tried the C-Mon today this was the smoothest straight shave to date.
I did the following:
12 micron 90 laps to set the bevel
5 micron 60 laps
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps
1 micron with wet paper underneath 40 laps

Touch ups:
3 micron 60 laps
1 micron 60 laps
1 micron with wet paper underneath 40 laps

Today was,

A.D. Arbenz's Mandarin French framback.

DMT 325>Chosera 1K Coticule (La Veinette) Jnat (Ozuku Asagi LV5) Linen/Leather 60/60

Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co.

DMT 325> Chosera 1K>Lapping film 5/3/1 Micron > .25 diamond 60/60 Linen/Leather

Stahlwarenfabrik

DMT 325> Chosera 1K> Coticule (La Veinette) Diluticot Crox .3 micron Linen/leather 60/60

Attachments

• $DSCN0697.jpg
    $DSCN0697.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 107
6/8 Swiss LeCoultre & a 5/8 no-name Solingen.
Started bevels on a Cretean hone, moved to 800x Chosera, then 1k Chosera, then Okudo with Botan, Tenjou, Mejiro, Koma, and Tomo Nagura slurry.
Finished with 5 laps on plain water. 10x on Linen, 60 on Horsehide.

Shaved with both - Swiss on my right, Solingen on my left. Both shaved magnificently.

Today honed the following razors with lapping film:

W&B The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor
Kama with desert ironwood scales
Saracen 14
Boker King Cutter

I was unable to set a proper bevel on W&B using the 12µ film so I moved down to 800 grit sandpaper:
30 laps on 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper
12 micron ~ 140 laps until HHT2 (HHT1 can easily shave arm hair)
6 micron ~ 120 laps
3 micron ~ 90 laps
1 micron ~ 90 laps
0.3 micron ~ 60 laps
0.3 micron ~ 30 laps (paper underneath the film)
CrOx 20 laps
Iron Ox. 20 laps

The other three Solingen razors were honed this way:
12 micron until HHT1 or 2 (HHT1 can easily shave arm hair)
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 90 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
CrOx on balsa 20 laps
Iron Ox on balsa 20 laps

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Quick touchup of a 5/8 Prima Klang and 6/8 Bismarck:

Dovo red paste on balsa
Dovo black paste on balsa
0.25 diamond spray on balsa
CrOx on TM paddle

One of our kind, generous, intelligent, and good looking members is sending me some film to try, so I wanted to prepare some blades using my standard refreshening method for comparison.

I keep forgetting to take pics when I hone!

3 over the weekend.

9/16 Clauss: bevel correction on LPB then full dilucit on La Grise

Charlie Lewis Custom: Bevel correction on La Dressante then full dilucot on La Grise

5/8 Spanish Point Puma: bevel correction and full dilucot on La Dressante.

Testes on 3 days of thick growth.

Results-Flawless. All three razors just mowed down my heavy growth with no effort at all!

Jon

Honed Sta Sharp, Hess 42 this way:
15 micron ~ 60 laps
12 micron ~ 90 laps
6 micron ~ 90 laps
3 micron ~ 90 laps
1 micron ~ 60 laps
Skipped CrOx
Leather strop 60 laps

Top Bottom