What's new

What did you hone today?

Today was touch-up with Coti 0.3um film & 0.25 diamond spray on felt before stropping:
Puma #63 Inox
Wade & Butcher 6/8 near wedge with custom Gemsbok scales
Vulcan 5/8 Tru-Edge
& Giffon Golden Rule 5/8

11/16 Wagner & Lange

Attachments

• $Photo1306.jpg
    $Photo1306.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Dorko 7/8 Spanish point. Chosera 1K w/ tape; Oozuku prepolisher with Meijiro>Komo>tomonagura>water; Oozuku finisher w/ water. Schwing! :a44:

Finally had some time to finish an old Rodgers that's been on the bench. Set the bevel on a DMT, there was a chip in the toe. Cleaned up the DMT scratches on a Naniwa 1000, then coticule and ozuku.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Progressive hone...started with Norton 1K, then onto slurried LPB coti (bout), sets of 1/2 strokes (back and forth), 30 rep sets til it shaved arm hair, then stepped down to 15 rep sets...then onto slurrid BBW (100 X-Strokes), then straight to water on coti (Les Lat), about 100 X-Strokes then 50 X Strokes on La Verte (straight water)

i'm stymied as to why there is absolutley no identification marks on the tang...can anyone enlighten me as to why this razor has no identification marks? It's a nice shaver as far as 1/2 hollows go

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Looks like a vintage solingen made one, I have seen some blades that weren't stamped in the factory, and looked very similar to yours.

I have an idea it's an old razor...there is pitting in some of the blade, and it appeared to me that whoever I bought it from or someone else before them stuck it in an ultrasonic cleaner at some point. What made me think that was there was no filth anywhere...quite clean but it has signs of age

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I re-finished my 6/8 "Solgen" Japanese french point today, this time stopping at my 16k shapton and skipping the CrOx.

The result was an amazing shave.. Just as keen and smooth, it mowed down 4 days growth no problem. I'm beginning to wonder if some razors give better results without CrOx? More testing and shaves are in order!

Finished honing my Fredrick Reynolds full hollow... start to finish on a really interesting Nakayama. I started with a coarse unstamped nagura (Like Botan) and then a finer nagura (like Tenjou) - then Tomo Nagura. Edge looks really good - I'm going to shave with it after the last of the applesauce is out of the canner.

Update - the edge is wicked sharp and blissfully smooth. And I think I can take it further with these stones too... that's scary.... in a good way.

Last edited:
Today I honed up on a vintage Narutaki a brass framed Geo Worstenhelm. I taped the spine and used an ever deluted slurry. The shave was effortless partly because of the stone and partly because of the 7/8 heft. I like the romance of using a 100+ year old razor. Alx

Last edited:
Top Bottom