What's new

What did you hone today?

King 1000/6000 combo, BBW w/slurry, Coticule w/slurry, Chinese 12K w/water only.

I'm still in the process of learning to hone, and have had some difficulties with some of my vintage razors, so I just got the King combo and the Chinese 12K last week.
The 12K was more because I was curious how the edge would be from such a stone compared to the Coticule.

Try doing the Coticule w/ slurry before the BBW w/ slurry. If you do that you could cut the King out of the equation, and flip over the hone after the BBW side and finish on plain water with the Coticule.

Half-hollow C.V. Heljestrand Mk.6 on a Coticule combo La Petite Blanche. This is the absolute hardest razor I've ever tried to hone without tape. It just never quite gets there.
I 'm not sure if I wrote about it before, but the MK#6 must have been forged by Sauron in Mount Doom...

It just laughs at my coticules.
It even puts up a good fight with the Naniwas.

Infact even my DMT 600 tried to hide when it saw that I was heading it's way with the MK#6...

Final solution was a huge amount of circles on DMT600 follow by countless laps & circles on Naniwa 1000K before taping one layer, many laps on light slurry coti ->coti water only -> Thuringian water only & it still wasn't there, but eventually some laps on diamondsprayed felt 0.5 & 0.25 microns sorted it out.
Superduperfreakin-shaver.
I wouldn't be surprised if it now holds it edge forever.

OK, I tried the hybrid side today and had to resort to using my DMT to raise a slurry. I bought a Les Latneuses slurry stone from superiorshave and couldn't raise a slurry for whatever reason using it.

Anyway, I was honing a 1/4 hollow and it was just strange. Had no feedback whatever and definitely was slower than the yellow side.

Am going to have to play around with it more as I didn't quite get the razor to the level I wanted.

Try using the creamy side of your slurry stone. I know this sounds weird, but it's what Gary and Bart do when honing on a hybrid coticule.

Try doing the Coticule w/ slurry before the BBW w/ slurry. If you do that you could cut the King out of the equation, and flip over the hone after the BBW side and finish on plain water with the Coticule.

Thank you, I'll try that.

Try using the creamy side of your slurry stone. I know this sounds weird, but it's what Gary and Bart do when honing on a hybrid coticule.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a shot. The whole point in me buying a les latneuses slurry stone was basically so that I could raise a slurry on the hybrid side. Oh well.

I shaved with a second razor finished only on the creamy side last night and it gave another wonderful edge. I'm starting to reevaluate why I have all these other "higher" finishers....

Still think I'm going to cut the bout though as I just got so used to my tiny coticule that honing on this one is just weird for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Hey- a successful thread!

Quick touchup of a Bergischer Lowe on 0.25 Diamond followed by CrOx.

I 'm not sure if I wrote about it before, but the MK#6 must have been forged by Sauron in Mount Doom...

It just laughs at my coticules.
It even puts up a good fight with the Naniwas.

Infact even my DMT 600 tried to hide when it saw that I was heading it's way with the MK#6...

Final solution was a huge amount of circles on DMT600 follow by countless laps & circles on Naniwa 1000K before taping one layer, many laps on light slurry coti ->coti water only -> Thuringian water only & it still wasn't there, but eventually some laps on diamondsprayed felt 0.5 & 0.25 microns sorted it out.
Superduperfreakin-shaver.
I wouldn't be surprised if it now holds it edge forever.

We have talked about this razor before. Back then, I used the unicot method on it and got it almost where I wanted it. It was an excellent edge, but I know it's capable of more. I'll keep trying it!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Woah, where'd that Vegetarian badge come from?

Where do you think?
proxy.php

That was actually going to be my next question. :001_tongu

Actually, I don't think I want to advertise that... then I would have to have the "vegetarian conversation" another billion times. :lol:

You're a vegetarian?
Yes
So... you don't eat any meat?
No
What about chicken?
No, no meat at all
Oh... do you eat fish?
No
What about like shrimp and stuff? Lobster?
No... actually, if it was an animal I don't eat it.
Oh... is that like for animal rights?
Well, animal rights are fine, but that's not why I don't eat meat
Oh... like it's a religious thing?
lol... no.
You like watching your weight or something?
No, I actually just don't like meat... I think it's gross.
*very long pause* I don't get it

Last edited:
Niel Nielson 5/8

DMT 1.2
Norton 4/8K
Naniwa 12K
.25 diamond of felt strop.

Mcoy&Sanders 5/8

Just a touch up with Naniwa 12K and .25 diamond on felt.

Two Japanese beauticians scissors.
Scissors are great fun!

*Aichi Professional HS 5,5"
*Aichi Professional LH-55

Naniwa 1K> Naniwa 3K>Naniwa 8K >Awaseto Honoyama

Top Bottom