What's new

What did you hone today?

Wade and Butcher swayback hollow shorty re-scaled by Alfredo in cocobolo. Alfredo set a 4k Shapton Glass bevel for me, then I finished it with an ungraded Mikawa, koma, and tomonagura. The shave this morning was buttery smooth.

Cheers, Steve

Not sure what I like more the stones or razor :thumbup:

Today 3 Swedish frame backs got honed. They have seen some heavy use during the years and was nice training with their smiles and other quirks. Quick clean up with Autosol..one of them had a lot of paint on the blade.

E.A Berg
Klas Törnblom
J.a Hellberg

$3framebacks.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A rare snowy day in the Tennessee River valley, so I touched up a Ribbon 100 on a nice Nakayama kiita.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_2342.jpg
    $IMG_2342.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 102
Today I put the polish and stripped a Goldschmeid Solingen 4/8. It has a very very thin/narrow bevel. I am cautiously optimistic it is going to be frightfully sharp. It's going to take another day or so before I have enough whiskers to test it. Hoping to not cause any more loss of precious bodily fluids.

this afternoon, solingen Hoppe 14 - straight from 5K chosera to Zulu Grey surface refinished on the chosera rubbing stone.. way different surface feel.

now - revisiting the bevel on a j.elliot near wedge.. kind of wish i had 2 inch wide 600 or 800, i wsa using the DMT C and F, but it just didn't feel right in hand. maybe i need to mount it freestanding on a block with some rubber mount offs.

Old tired Sheffield quarter hollow:
proxy.php

After a couple of honing disasters with some vintage Sheffields recently where the edge just kept crumbling away, this one was a winner.
Bevel set on India, Welsh slates, pasted, linen, leather, palm stropping (as recommended by Mastro Livi!)

John and William Ragg made this 130 years ago, and it gave me a great shave tonight so thanks guys [emoji3]

Finished off the 4/8 F.W. Soderen today after resetting the bevel yesterday on the King 1K. Yes there are two slurry stones in the photo, and yes they were used to slurry both of the larger Coticles, however.... they were also brought into the progression for their different properties as well. The Top right slurry stone is a really smooth and fine stone, and the bottom right is an exceptionally slow and hard stone. The Natural on the left 4x2 is an exceptional all around stone and a medium to fast cutter. The Large Select 10 Bout in the middle is quite the slow cutter and an amazing finisher. The results of the shave were nothing less than amazing and I am very pleased with this one.
[MENTION=75490]imatabor[/MENTION] John, I think you are going to love this little Swedish Lady when she comes home:thumbup1:

$20160212_204225-1.jpg

$FullSizeRender-2.jpg

C.T.Bingham razor honed today on a newly acquired vintage coticule.These are probably both over 100(150?) years old, still working great and are a thing of beauty, to me.Razor measures just over 7/8",has always been a great shaving razor.

I ran a 7/8 Hart & 8/8 Esbjerg-Koraat across my 2x8 Zulu Grey yesterday. Both had been in service for 3-5 weeks and they were ready for some love. The stone did a fine job providing a really comfortable, keen edge on each razor.

The postman brought me a wonderous parcel from across the pond today. My first Thiers, I hope I'm up to this. It is flat dull! I can bounce it on my palm without fear! This will be a bevel-to-polish job. While a magnet sticks to this blade, it is remarkably hard steel and it took nearly an hour to get the bevel, and I'm not even completely sure I am satisfied yet. I'll call this a first run of probably a couple. 1k to 3k to where it cuts hair, but it won't tree top because I haven't any arm hair like that. Refine the bevel on the purple side of my Coticule. I lapped it today so both sides are a-ok. Dilucot to clear and proceed to the main event. Two runs of medium slurry to clear, then some time under running water. I am trying freehand this time. While my coti is pretty close to bench size, it feels nice in my hand. I think I'll keep doing it this way from here out. Stropping by steps to the sounds of Toto, and scope shows just light scratches on the bevel. I look forward to trying this one. Could/would anyone confirm this blades origin. It says 'Radium' on the blade face and is stamped on the shank. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 61
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 61
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 62
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 61

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Working on an Azuma that I picked up during the Sabbatical restock window. Had to spend some time reshaping the Omote (Thanks Gamma for this blast-from-the-past thread!), taped the spine (so as not to kill the Omote again while getting the bevel), and then went at it with a Norton 4/8k.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I put a coticule edge on this Boker several weeks ago and have been getting great shaves, but I decided to try something different so I did 20 light Laps on a special stone with glycerin water mix. Shave test tomorrow

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 55
1 Inch Wade and Butcher Beast on loan from [MENTION=75490]imatabor[/MENTION] and lemme tell ya, this thing is a very Happy Smiling Razor with some heft to it rivaled by nothing I have ever held in hand. This thing is a Monster!

Just some very light slurry on the 4x2 Natural Coti and Water only laps on the Select 10 Bout to touch it up as it was tree topping hair when it arrived, just a very small amount of smoothing needed:thumbup1:

$20160213_185342-1.jpg

I put a coticule edge on this Boker several weeks ago and have been getting great shaves, but I decided to try something different so I did 20 light Laps on a special stone with glycerin water mix. Shave test tomorrow

Interesting, what is that? An Ark?

Just finished honing 4 nos in new condition. The filarmonica is aprox 8/8, it's a beautiful razor so is the nos puma, along side a Japanese towa and Thiers issards nos le grelot which easy 7/8 plus.

using the 3 k naniwas just form my own bevel, no need to use a 1 k. The owner of these razors likes my coticule edges, so that's what I used . Slurry to water with pure circles . After stropping 60/60 linen Cordaven each razor popped hair blonde fine hair 40 mm away from holding . I tested the puma and you would,nt believe how nice it the puma shaved, carnt wait to test the filarmonica,

gary

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 54
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have been working the last few days and have honed NOTHING :w00t: I have a set of brand new stones at home that need to be broke in.

Top Bottom