What's new

What did you hone today?

put some more time in my case wedge on the coti. now the bevel is really uneven so that's an interesting turn of events...

Legion

Staff member
A early 1800's stub tail wedge. It was a @#$% to hone, but the "little coticule that could" got me there, when all the big synthetics and DMT's had failed.

A 3 shilling near wedge Mappin. I've loved this razor from the moment I got it, a year or so ago, I've never managed a decent shave with it though. I think I ruined the edge with poor stropping when I got it and haven't been able to reclaim it. After many attempts at honing it I think I'm finally getting somewhere.

King 1k>King 6k>Chinese natural

Shave test tonight

I've been out of town. Was happy to see the Klas Tornblom in ivory had arrived while I was gone. Got her honed up today and ready for a shave tomorrow. Seem like it's going to be a very nice blade:tongue_sm

Legion

Staff member
I've been out of town. Was happy to see the Klas Tornblom in ivory had arrived while I was gone. Got her honed up today and ready for a shave tomorrow. Seem like it's going to be a very nice blade:tongue_sm

Did you get it off ebay from Eskilstuna, Sweden? I got one last week and Mike H just got one that looks the same as mine. They look like great little razors. I haven't had a chance to hone mine yet but I think it'll be a keeper.

I touched up my W&B 6/8 shoulderless on an LPB coticule last night before shaving with it this morning. It's alot better than it was but still needs a few laps more I think to get it to where I really want it to be.

Did you get it off ebay from Eskilstuna, Sweden? I got one last week and Mike H just got one that looks the same as mine. They look like great little razors. I haven't had a chance to hone mine yet but I think it'll be a keeper.

Yes. I got it from Eskiltuna. I don't remember the poster name. I shaved with it this AM. Great shave. It's a keeper. Sorry for the bad pics.

Attachments

• $DSCF1492.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 69

I got one of those as well - he lists quite a few from time to time. I decided to buck up a few more bucks and get the one in genuine tortoise shell though. Hell of a shaver :thumbup1:

Morley and Son 5/8 barbers notch. Had to do a bit of edge reconstruction so I broke out the DMT 325 and taped the spine. After that it was the DMT 1200 with tape then without to set the bevel.

Finished off with a La Dressante #10 bout using dilucot, Linen/Leather 60/60.

Gave it a test shave, then another stropping 30/50. She's getting sent out tomorrow to BB member reedjos.

Mighty fine shaver she is.

I got one of those as well - he lists quite a few from time to time. I decided to buck up a few more bucks and get the one in genuine tortoise shell though. Hell of a shaver :thumbup1:

My shave was smooth as butter. Funny thing is I ended up with a bit of the rash on my right side. Didn't use the tallow. I gave the blade a bit of a touch up last night. I'm still learning the hones. I hope he does another run. That was the second or third that I've seen. I would like to get a genuine tortoise scaled razor at some point. I haven't seen that many around. I'm also looking for a great frameback. This RAD is killin' me!! :tongue_sm

Global GS 2 (Man I hate those god dang Globals :glare:)
"Kyoto" 8" Gyuto

Chosera 1K - Awaseto Honoyama w/ 1µ HA diamond spray slurry

Mora utility:
Chosera 1K - King 6K

Mora carver:
King 6K - Awaseto Honoyama w/ 1µ HA diamond spray slurry

Tagore Solingen 5/8 extra hollow:
Chosera 1K - Naniwa SS 2/5/8/10 & then time some real spice;
Enter the balsa-strop road of "Schwartz beyond keenness"

L-R: 0.25µ poly diamond - 0.125 CBN - 0.050µ(!) mono diamond

Results?
Beyond keen!
This razor is very hollow & "sings" alot, but it eventually got so sharp that it almost got quiet!
The sharpness kept rising while almost all the harshness associated with heavy diamond stropping disappeared. More tests to follow, but this seems very promising!
http://i56.tinypic.com/23m98ap.jpg

Today was a 5/8 Wostenholm Faux Frameback on my new LPB thanks to...thanks!

What an amazing stone and what an amazing edge! First time honing this razor from bevel to finish. The edge was a touch off perfection and I'm sure a couple of laps on water will get the edge right where it should be. This stone has really taken me by surprise!

I think today was also a benchmark honing day. I feel like I've upgraded from trying to figure out how to use a coticule to appreciating and learning the "feel" of each of my coticules.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Badly used, misused and abused 3/8 Wostie pipe. 1K/6K combo, C12K, 1u diamond on paddle, .25u diamond on paddle. Nice shaver. Another successful ebay rescue. Still need to re-scale at a later date.

Dovo 6/8 Bismarck, Thiers-Issard Evide Sonnant 5/8, & S S Geneva Cutlery 5/8. Bevels were good, so coticule & Naniwa 12K plus CrOx on Balsa.

Re-honed my Franco-Special 6/8", as I wasn't satisfied with the edge.

Much better this morning, but could do with just a couple of more laps.

Henry Taylor & Brother 1/4 hollow. My first time using Lynn's one-hone method but it's looking good and now I gotta wait until tomorrow morning to find out.

...Ray

Legion

Staff member
Gold Dollar that I drunkenly bought off eBay as a goof. It took me all afternoon with a dremel and a DMT to make it razor shaped. I'll hone it to shave ready tomorrow. Should be easy now. I hope.

Top Bottom