What's new

What did you hone today?

And another Le Grelot. This one is a model 309.
Bevel on DMT 600, followed by KING 1K.
Synthetic progression Norton 4/8K, King 6K, Shapton 12K and finish on Imperia La Roccia.
$Honed.jpg

Wade & Butcher near wedge with etching on the blade. I used tape to try to save as much of the etch as I could. Now I see why some of you don't like honing with tape. Constant tape changes, no feel and it seemed to clog the stones making a less than pleasant operation take that much longer..
Chosera 1K, hard ark, coticule (both sides) and SB ark. Lots of tape.
$104_1673.jpg

I touched up a few razors today and had some extra time so got to work on this one. It's a 4/8 Eugene Berninghaus recently cleaned up and polished. I wanted to get it shave ready and try my new 8k stone. Done with bester 1.2k, 4k with slurry, King 6k, Naniwa 8k SS.

$image.jpg

First go with my new barber hone sized Suita stone and DMT card that TimS graciously sent my way. Refreshed an edge on an MK10 light slurry/ light strokes, diluted to water only. It turned out okay, I did not have to abandon shave, against the grain was not bad. I have a long way to go but overall very happy with it.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426560232.157844.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks David, I'm very thankful and enjoying the process. I'm starting to understand why one would start collecting stones, and seeking out those that possesses all the qualities that give you the optimal edge in an efficient manner.

W&B. Chosera 1K bevel set, my Dilucot version with a fast slurry stone on my hybridish coticule followed by two dilution cycles with a Les
Latish slurry stone (thanks David.) 40/75 Black Diamond/Neil Miller Leather components on a Lipshaw Strop.

$image.jpg

First time honing one of these out the box. The heel gave me a little trouble, so I used Buca's tip. Thanks.
DMT 325, Chosera 1k, Nani 3k, 8k, 12k.....20k
$20150325_183411.jpg
$20150325_183438.jpg

Last edited:
Hollow grind Solingen - testing out a new piece of Nakayama Asagi salvaged from a broken hone.
Very hard, but a little small. Will be a very cool huge Tomo, or a killer travel hone.
Just worked up a fresh edge and finsihed on this one...polish is crazy bright. I'm happy. Very happy.

My first GD 66.

Following Buca's two vids, of using an extreme heel leading stroke, then, taping the toe....On my King 1000, or King Home Stone K 45, if you prefer :laugh:....got a good cherry-tomato-slicing bevel and used film to go from there.

After my shave, like ^ he said,
I'm happy. Very happy.

:thumbup:

a GD66 (luckily this had been honed already a few years ago - so the heavy steel removal part was already done...) and a Herder Solingen.
Naniwa economy 1K/3K -> Coti -> Chinese natural.

Haven't shaved with these yet but cherry-tomatos cringe in fear and won't go near them :001_rolle

br,
ToM

Set the bevel on a Griffin Magnetic using the blue side of a vintage coti, finished on the yellow side using dripping water. Also finished my Hart Steel Not a Replica on the same vintage coticule.

Top Bottom