What's new

What did you hone today?

Le Grelot Royal Canada

This razor has been the easiest to hone so far for me as only very little work was required to reset the bevel on the DMT600.
$Honed.jpg
The rest was a breeze.
King 1K, Norton 4K, Ruby, Norton 8K, Jade, Shapton 16K, Orange Agate.
Finish on the Brown Agate.
Less than 30 minute overall.

The fact that the razor appeared never to have been used did help.

Well, since I had time left I got the next one in the pile and it was also in very good conditions.
Bevel setting was done on a single change of tape (It is not uncommon for me to have to go thru a dozen just for bevel set).
Then King 1K, Norton 4K, Ruby and jump straight to Shapton 16K.
That glass stone cuts super fast and in no time all the 4K marks the ruby had not taken out where gone.
Now to lessen the 16K scratch I went light on the Jade and then used my 2 fine Agates.
$Honed.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Vintage Robert Klass on a hard, fine Nakayama kiita koppa.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1600.jpg
    $IMG_1600.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 129

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hayashi Diamond Extra Steel Western kamisori touched up on a Hatanaka Nakayama kiita koppa. Beautiful little stone with rose, blue, yellow, and green tones.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1602.jpg
    $IMG_1602.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 127
Recent arrival - another 15/16 W&B FBU. Started on it a while ago. I'm searching for the bevel on a 180x Nub now. Started on the 1k C and that wasn't working out. Too much steel has to go. Existing geometry looks like someone freehanded a 25˚ angle on 100x w/d or something like that. People that do stuff like that should be shot.... seriously.

Sounds nasty. So the existing edge is just gliding above the hone like the front spoiler on an f1 car I gather? A drag... A knife guy butchered it I guess...

Just like that actually. It's ridiculous. I look at stuff like this and laugh but it's just so stupid. No way anyone shaved with it - the bevel/edge was scary looking. If I had to guess - someone reground and/or cleaned it up a long time ago (new pivot pin) and put it in a drawer. Then, yeah - maybe a knife guy got to it or something. It'll work out fine but not without a lot of time elbow grease. This will be a multi stage event. I'll try to get through the 180x work in one shot though. Love that stone but it takes over an hour to soak and a week to dry.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Spent an hour honing my custom damacaus. Chosera 400x, 800x, C1k, C3k, C5k, C10k and stropped. It took a great edge. I don't usually go this far on hunting knives but I was having fun so I kept going.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 103
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 102

David

That's a nice boker. Did it hone up easy? I have several And they all take great edges.

David

Cool. Glad that hybrid looking coti is working well for you. Have you ever tried the hybrid side of a les lat?

Spent an hour honing my custom damacaus. Chosera 400x, 800x, C1k, C3k, C5k, C10k and stropped. It took a great edge. I don't usually go this far on hunting knives but I was having fun so I kept going.

Wow. I'd be scared to take that nice a knife into the field with me.

I honed my Spanish Volcan tonight.
I had to rework the bevel from scratch has it had a visible dent I had to erase.
Getting to the bevel took about 30 minutes on the DMT600.
From there things went smooth.
I first finalized the bevel on the King 1K. Then progressed on Ruby, Jade and Agate.
Finish on the brown agate (the one with the white streak in it).
$Honed.jpg

Top Bottom