What's new

What did you hone today?

This one took some time. I just finished restoring this razor and making a set of scales. I taped the bevel and set it three times on the Chosera 1k, killing the edge after each time to ensure I had not done damage to the edge with the Dremel. I then removed the tape, and set the bevel once again doing circles on the pinkish Coticule slurry stone. I continued developing the edge on the pointy slurry stone with tiny X strokes and then moved to the Thuri bout where I finished out the edge passing HHT 3 off the stone and 4 after stropping.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405920520.358860.jpg

I now understand why I see knife guys occasionally balk (only occasionally) at the idea of using arkies on razors. I used my lily white followed by the primitive cut SB I got from Dan's on a 20 year old Schrade Old Timer and it worked brilliantly. If I went from knives to razors rather than the other way around, I'd be skeptical that anything could work so well on both also. This thing has never once been honed and in pretty short order, it was shaving arm hair. Didn't refine much beyond that as it's a workhorse blade.

Ian had mentioned in another thread that the trans arkies could be pretty versatile just by adjusting the pressure and honing medium (oil, lather, water) so I tried that here. Easily got swarf on the finisher with a good bit of pressure and then backed off it and it worked nicely. Didn't alternate medium's though. Just stuck with oil.

If I ever learned a decent rolling stroke, this could be a heck of a shaver.

$IMG_1474.jpg

Man that primitive stone is a looker!!!
I agree Mark. I have been able to much better edges on knives with the Trans Arkies than I can with coticules usually and in half the time. I have never been able to get my assorted knives so sharp as that 4x2 I got from you. I have dedicated one side to knives and the other to razors.

This one took some time. I just finished restoring this razor and making a set of scales. I taped the bevel and set it three times on the Chosera 1k, killing the edge after each time to ensure I had not done damage to the edge with the Dremel. I then removed the tape, and set the bevel once again doing circles on the pinkish Coticule slurry stone. I continued developing the edge on the pointy slurry stone with tiny X strokes and then moved to the Thuri bout where I finished out the edge passing HHT 3 off the stone and 4 after stropping.

View attachment 474904
Thats a sweet looking Thuringian Noel!

Man that primitive stone is a looker!!!
I agree Mark. I have been able to much better edges on knives with the Trans Arkies than I can with coticules usually and in half the time. I have never been able to get my assorted knives so sharp as that 4x2 I got from you. I have dedicated one side to knives and the other to razors.

That makes me happy to hear.

You astonish me though. I figured you could make a coti do anything...even your laundry if you wanted it to. These arkies really do astonish me though. Incredibly versatile.

:lol: Thanks Mark but I am not so good when honing freehand and never have been. Anything I have ever honed freehand has the most beautiful radius to the bevel like putting a point on a orange!

$0720142103.jpg

Took this Hunter and Sons 13/16" Wedge (Frontline initiative scales) I restored a few months back to my new YG/B Thuri and my god was this thing sharp. Need a bit more stropping but the shave was great.

Today I was given my great grandfather's razor set (pity about the missing ones) still in amazing condition! One of them could still grab a hair. All that needed to be done was 5 passes on each side on a 5k synthetic and they were good to move onto naturals.
I can't wait to put them to use after 2 generations of rest tomorrow morning
$P7231533.jpg$P7231534.jpg$P7231535.jpg$P7231536.jpg$P7231537.jpg

First hone on a Coti with my first straight, great to get it back into rotation.

Attachments

• $CotiBengall.jpg
    $CotiBengall.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 79
So I recently got that MK32 in very clean conditions and I felt bad it was languishing in a drawer.
Took it to the stones tonight.
Bevel on king 1K. Then honed on Ruby, Baja Onyx, grey Agate, Java Onyx, Jade, Orange agate, finished on brown Agate.
$Honed.jpg

Top Bottom