What's new

What did you hone today?

A slightly tattered Genco Fluid Steel.

$genco.jpg

At first glance, I figured it'd hone up real easy like and I'd be off to the races. Three trips to the hones later, that line of thought was right out. The bevel seemed to be set (passed HHT and tomato test), but something kept happening through the film progression such that it wouldn't even try to shave at the end; wouldn't even pass the aforementioned tests that it had passed before. Two attempts at honing it resulted in the above. The third time was the charm after a good, firm beating on the lower grits and checking/rechecking after each step.

First CV Heljestrand.
Just a modest N24
$Honed.jpg
It seems sharp out of the box, so I thought the bevel would be a breeze.
It turns out it had a lot of micro laceration and it took a while to get a clean edge.
Worked my way up on King and Norton, with finish on Shapton 12k and 16K.
No magic soapy swaty finish on that one because I was too lazy to go get it.

Refinished a Kropp I picked up a couple weeks ago on my Jnat... been maybe a month since I shaved off my Jnat. Been shaving off coticules, thuri's, synths, barber hones, anything and everything. All I can say is wow... going that long off other finishes, the finish of my Karasu is night and day compared to anything else. I don't think my beard will ever return after this shave.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Puma 68 Inox Special on a Narutaki asagi. The koma is harder than the hone, so my slurry was mostly the Narutaki. Very nice smooth shave from this one.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0938.jpg
    $DSCF0938.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 216

Steve56

I have a Henckels Friodur just like it too ... But the Puma has a nicer tang and harder steel.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Continuing to test the Narutaki... Henckels Friodur honed with a tomo nagura.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0941.jpg
    $DSCF0941.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 198

Steve56

Finishing up testing the Narutaki asagi with a time-capsule French point Boker 626g - pending another round of whiskers. Pretty drab stone until it starts knocking out HHT 4 with average technique and HHT 5 with not much more. That makes it a bit more exciting. Not that hard either, it slurries easily.

The razor is a favorite, plain blade and one of the best shavers I have - equal to the Pumas and Anton Wingens. Made between 1926 and 1934 from the tang stamps IIRC.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0945.jpg
    $DSCF0945.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 187
W&B in Camel Bone.

Bevel set on Striped Iyoto, followed by Botan Toishi. Asano Tenyjou, Atsu, Mejiro, Tsushima Kuro nagura, Chu nagura, Koma and Wakasa Tomonagura on a Wakasa Toishi. 30/60 Cotton/Cordovan.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 166
Honed this Dorko travel razor.
$MoDoSo Honed.jpg
Started by smoothing out a dent on DMT 600.
Then bevel on 1K. Followed by norton 4K, norton 8K, king 6K, Naniwa 10K, Shapton 12K.
Back to Naniwa 10K as the scope confirmed what I had noticed presently that the Naniwa 10K is finer than the Shapton 12K.
Finished on Shapton 16K.

I tried again my magic Swatty 3 lines with soap, which last time was finer than the 16K. This time it was not, maybe I took a different soap, or did not put enough. Anyway, I refinished on 16k.

100 x crOx, 100 x linen, 100 x leather and a very aggressive HHT.
I am looking forward to trying that one tomorrow morning.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Honed this boker red injun 102. Bevel set on chosera 1k, then slurry dilutions on a vintage coti, 30 laps on a thuri and 40/60 kanayama canvas/leather

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 146
I just honed a Bengall.
DMT 600, King 1K, norton 4K, norton 8K, king 6K, Shapton 12K and finished on Shapton 16K.
Stropped on crOx, line, leather.
$Bengall honed.jpg
The crappy pictures does not do justice to the razor, which is in great conditions.
I'll get a better one when I test drive it tomorrow.

Steve56

A Buca3152 Gold Monkey gets the big monkey.... Shapton Pro 2k (not pictured), coarse red Atagoyama akepin, red Hakka, Ohira rainbow kiita, followed by an Odori, TBN, and koma on a vintage Hatahoshi, 40 linen and 75 Kanoyama. Whiskers fear this edge.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0960.jpg
    $DSCF0960.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Steve56

Edge refresh for the Le Grelot 355, on a vintage Nakayama Maruka kiita with a TBN and a piece of koma. This is a full hollow razor that takes a really good edge.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0965.jpg
    $DSCF0965.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 105
A Koraat Design hardened and grounded by myself on this tiny thuri, and my Testosori on a Ohira Renge Suita.

proxy.php

And now its Burgertime!

Greets Sebastian.

Steve56

Very nice Sebastian!

My Wosty went out to Doc226 for a new left shoe and got touched up on the super little Narutaki kiita, one of my favorite stones. He did a great job matching the blonde horn.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $DSCF0975.jpg
    $DSCF0975.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
Mertens & Heider 5/8 that I bought off the Bay last week. It was quite cruddy but all I did was a simple clean up and polish of both the blade and scales. I still have not mastered re-scaling just yet and would rather have a nice shave edge on a mutt than a spade shovel edge on a show horse. On to the honing ........

Tried something new tonight by adding the JNAT that I bought from Heespharm as the finisher. Progression was as follows: Bevel Set Naniwa 1K (very fast bevel set tonight) followed by Naniwas 5K and 8K. And now instead of finishing with the Naniwa 12K, I substituted the JNAT as the finisher and then stropped 100 passes on clean Latigo.

I am saving my beard for the shave-test tomorrow night in hopes that these JNATS are all that some say that they are.

Frank

Mertens & Heider 5/8 that I bought off the Bay last week. It was quite cruddy but all I did was a simple clean up and polish of both the blade and scales. I still have not mastered re-scaling just yet and would rather have a nice shave edge on a mutt than a spade shovel edge on a show horse. On to the honing ........

Tried something new tonight by adding the JNAT that I bought from Heespharm as the finisher. Progression was as follows: Bevel Set Naniwa 1K (very fast bevel set tonight) followed by Naniwas 5K and 8K. And now instead of finishing with the Naniwa 12K, I substituted the JNAT as the finisher and then stropped 100 passes on clean Latigo.

I am saving my beard for the shave-test tomorrow night in hopes that these JNATS are all that some say that they are.

Frank

How are you using it? Diluting as you go? Or just one slurry

Top Bottom