What's new

Shaving on the cheap: shaving bowls

Here's an idea. How about one of those small-medium sized metal ice cream bowls that restaurants often use?

proxy.php

These can often be found at restaurant supply stores and for not too much I'd bet.

Worth a try! Larger bowls work better for me though. I rummaged through the kitchen and came up with different sized bowls and cups before I kinda settled on the size I like, then found a shaving specific bowl with a handle.

I hit the second-hand and junk stores all the time. Not finding much lately. The Goodwill here told me if they ever did get a razor they'd toss it due to their policy of not reselling "health care items". HERESY!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pretty much any cereal bow or cappucino mug would do. This is worth a try but I would think it's shaped in a V too much and lather will fall out of the bowl.

Pretty much any cereal bow or cappucino mug would do. This is worth a try but I would think it's shaped in a V too much and lather will fall out of the bowl.

Perhaps.

Anything made with rubber, resin, or metal, while not having the best heat retention, is attractive because it won't break if you drop it. Wet hands and ceramics over a bathroom sink is not a good combination. At least not for me. I'm clumsy that way.

I got my first bowl from a shave supply place but then quickly opened my eyes at places like wal-mart, k-mart and my favorite thrift stores; where I have found a couple great ceramic bowls that are fantastic for less than a dollar apiece. I have equipped my entire family and saved the ones I like for myself.

If the warm lather isn't that important to you, the cheapest bowl would be your hand:001_smile I use my hand frequently, also for lathering - lolz :lol:

j/k :) But seriously, your palm works fine :001_smile

I actually use a very large coffee (i think) cup that my SWMBO glazed in a pottery class. It has a ridiculous Chinese dragon on it. Her family is crazy and drinks coffee out of what look to me like soup bowls.

Point is--just use what works. I think a scuttle may be in my future sometime in the next couple of years.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Perhaps.

Anything made with rubber, resin, or metal, while not having the best heat retention, is attractive because it won't break if you drop it. Wet hands and ceramics over a bathroom sink is not a good combination. At least not for me. I'm clumsy that way.

That's why I switch to face lathering... :tongue_sm

For travel I picked up a red plastic "salsa dish" at wally world for $1.60 after tax. It's thick enough that it actually holds some heat for a bit, is ugly enough that no one would steal it and I'm not worried if I break it.

Charlie

I picked up one of those salsa bowls and actually scuffed the inside with some 220 grit sandpaper. It made some of the best lather I havehad.

I am considering what looks like a glass ice cream or fruit bowl, much like the metal one in the beginning of this thread.

I bought my shaving bowl at a dollar store. But when I rummaged through a thrift store (second hand) I found better and cheaper ones.

Back at Christmas, my wife's grandma was giving away some random items that were cluttering up her house. Knowing that I would soon be ordering my first DE shaving tools, I snagged a plain black latte cup. It's pretty clunky, so it holds the heat pretty well. Grandma tells me that it came with flowers in it one time (maybe when Gramps passed on) and it's just been sitting around ever since. Works for me. I'm all about reusing stuff rather than just tossing it. :thumbup1:

Perhaps.

Ceramics that are unglazed on the outside are not slippery and I have no problem holding onto them. The heat retention is very superior to metal and wood, and is likely slightly better than plastic/resin at a much better aesthetics point. Personally I like rice bowls which can be had for a song at Asian grocers.

Top Bottom