What's new

feather double edge razor popular? is it?

the FEATHER POPULAR (is that what it is called?)
i keep seeing this razor on yahoo. it is chrome with a black handle. any horror stories? any endorsements?

i started with a Merkur. the three piece with the thinner handle. i am thinking about this razor because it is A) cheap, B) something new, and C) comes with two feather blades (which i have yet to try).
i have a friend thinking about joining the fray and i figure if i like the feather, i will give him my merkur. and if i regret that, i'll buy an HD.

on a different note, should i be moving out of the newbie forum?
i didn't know where to post this.
thanks again

The Feather razor is rather lightweight and nothing special. I think you'd be better off trying one of the old Gillette razors. So far as the blades are concerned, get the blade sampler pack and try several brands.

Those are my recommendations, at any rate.

:blush: Why, thank you. And, BTW, if you want to try a new razor, how about the Merkur Slant Bar? (And I would really recommend the blade sampler pack for that.)

Hopefully I can revive this thread a bit. Just today I went to a popular import market and bought this razor for USD$10. I am going to keep it in the packaging for some time, and will give it a go later. I'm curious as to how much was paid by others when they picked this razor up.

I picked up one to try out, and it really isn't anything special. It was pretty aggressive on my face, especially with the Feather blades. Gave it away to a friend who loves it, but he has a lot more experience shaving with DE razors than I do, he bought "Blue Blades" back when they were still made.

All in all I prefer vintage Gillette's, but I've never used a Merkur.

Jimro

ditto, you will get a more satisfying feel from wielding a fine shaving instrument by Merkur or a piece of history from a old Gillette. There is a certain pride and satisfaction that you will get from one of these instruments. Hmm its like drinking a Coke from a glass bottle or drinking it from a plastic bottle, both work, but there is something about those glass bottles.

I purchased from Classic Shaving & Ebay. They're not much to brag about nor are they worth the money. Too light, mostly made of plastic. I use Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Parker, and vintage Gilette adjustables. Weight and pull make a big difference. I am in accord with Leisure Guy & others. Buy an all metal, a real DE razor, either a vintage one on Ebay, or a Merkur from Lees Razors(excellent service), Vintage Blades(excellent service-persoanble), Qed(another excellent businessman & very personable), andClassicshaving.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's like saying my favorite cars are Bentley, Ferrari, and Yugo.

I'm curious about plastic razors... I don't have anything against plastic per se, and most of my better shaving razors are on the light side, so what's really wrong with plastic?

I bought one and as countless others have said, it is the perfect DE razor for a neophyte. I have only used it a couple times with an Astra SP and an Israeli Red. The latter blade gave me a little closer shave than the former. Since (at least for me) it doesn't cut my neck hairs super short it may be best for those prone to ingrown hairs that have to shave daily. I have yet to try a Feather blade in it, but many have said that it is the optimum blade for this razor as it was surely designed for it.

I still prefer the Schick Krona at this point. Just my 2 cents.

Digging deep eh? :wink2:

But yes, I also like the Feather Popular, also as a travel razor. I love it with a Feather blade indeed.

My other DE razor is a Schick Krona as well :wink2:

$download (1).jpg

Top Bottom