What's new

Question on Insoles for Steel-Toed Work Boots

Just this past week, I picked up a pair of Red Wing steel-toed "King Toe" style 2240 work boots. Overall, the boots are seemingly nicely made and high-quality.

They actually fit well and felt fairly comfortable right out the box, but after breaking them in a bit (a week or so), my big toe started rubbing against the "non-metallic" safety-toe. Considering I often work 12 hours at my day job, go to school and am still in the midst of a business start up that also requires me to be on my feet, that little rubbing can ruin your entire day after several hours and be torturous at the end of the night.

What on Earth can I do to make this right? My feet are fickle to begin with and don't take kindly to anything out of their comfort range. I have "duck feet", wide at the toe and narrow at the heel, as well as fallen arches, so I'd like to get two birds stoned at once and eliminate both of these problems, if possible.

Are insoles the answer? I've been eyeing the "moldable" orthotic insoles and would gladly spent the money if I knew they'd work for me, but are there are other more viable choices for these kinds of issues?

Thanks in advance.

Would be afraid that an insert would raise the level of your toes and aggrevate their rubbing against the safety-toe. Think I would consult with the shoe store you bought them from and/or visit a cobbler before I got anything. Good luck! Sore feet are not fun!

Insoles are great! I use them in absolutely all of my footwear. However, won't they simply lift your feet (and thus the toe in question) up in this case?

If you're unsure, visit a shoe place or sporting goods store that offers insole and/or insole molding and ask around!

Red Wings are sold by size and width. My first pair were too narrow and rubbing my big and pinky toe as you are describing. If you have a D, try an E, or an EE.

Red Wings are sold by size and width. My first pair were too narrow and rubbing my big and pinky toe as you are describing. If you have a D, try an E, or an EE.

I bought a EE, as always. Have never had any real issues with any other brand (including US Made Red Wings) and it's one of the main reasons I opted for the King Toe. I'm just a little disillusioned from the fact that they actually fit very well out of the box; it was only after a short break-in period that they were uncomfortable.

John Parker: That's my concern, too, and spending the money on expensive orthotic inserts isn't something I want to do unless I'm fairly sure it'll work for me.

Keep the responses coming!

Thanks, again.

If you bought them at a Redwing store go back and talk to them. They have several inserts that you can get. I have the same shape foot/problem as you. I ended up getting a set of inserts that help lift my arches up and stoped my toes from rubbing the steel toe part. I walk on concrete for 8hrs a day so I try to take care of my feet.

They sell inserts that you can heat up and mold on your own that might do the trick for you. But I'd go back to red wing first.

If you bought them at a Redwing store go back and talk to them. They have several inserts that you can get. I have the same shape foot/problem as you. I ended up getting a set of inserts that help lift my arches up and stoped my toes from rubbing the steel toe part. I walk on concrete for 8hrs a day so I try to take care of my feet.

My job gives us a $100 voucher for safety shoes and I bought them straight off the Red Wing truck that actually stops at my job-site and stays there for a day. They have the computerized "custom fitting system" right on the truck and everything; not sure if that qualifies as being bought from a store, though...

What inserts did you get? Do you have a link or source?

For a cheap fix, you may give these a try from Dr. Scholl's: http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/massaginggel/slimsole.jsp

They may or may not work with a pair of work boots, but I have had good luck with them in a couple of pair of casual boots that I had toe "room" issues with. Essentially they are a 1/2 to 3/4 length insole so if the interior of sole of your boot is not smooth and finished enough to be comfortable under the ball of your foot and your toes, these won't work for you because they provide no layer in that part of the shoe.

Wen you get the fit right I would look to this line off insoles. If you are going with the ultra I would get a pair and fit them and take them to the store to try in the boot. These insoles must be heated in the oven to fit them to your foot.

If I was on my feet as much as you I would look to the Durashock http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_06784371000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=06784371000P

You will have to look at each pair very well because it seems that the assembly vary and they use what ever piece of leather you come across, but you can tell very quick if it is a keeper. They are very comfortable and shock absorbing.

I wore Red Wings steel toes for years (ok, decades).

I always got the best fit by wearing EEE width. This eliminated the problem you're describing.

By the way, I wear D width street shoes. I also never wore insoles, they were more comfortable without them.

Wen you get the fit right I would look to this line off insoles. If you are going with the ultra I would get a pair and fit them and take them to the store to try in the boot. These insoles must be heated in the oven to fit them to your foot.

If I was on my feet as much as you I would look to the Durashock http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_06784371000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=06784371000P

You will have to look at each pair very well because it seems that the assembly vary and they use what ever piece of leather you come across, but you can tell very quick if it is a keeper. They are very comfortable and shock absorbing.

Those are the same Wolverines that I recently relegated to the back of the closet in favor of the new Red Wings. I gotta say, Wolverine makes some awesome boots and these were no exception. The DuraShock system is really superb and they're very comfortable even after long hours. The only reason I ever gave them up is because I just wore them slap out in about four months; they had a great run, though.

Well, fellas, I visited my local boot store and scored a pair of Red Wing orthotic, moldable insoles. I have to say, it made a HUGE improvement after the first day. Not once did my big toe rub against the safety toe and the made the boots themselves pretty damn comfortable.

Let's see how long this lasts; aside from that, thanks for all your suggestions! Mind you, I'm still looking for anymore advice that may be helpful.

Well, fellas, I visited my local boot store and scored a pair of Red Wing orthotic, moldable insoles. I have to say, it made a HUGE improvement after the first day. Not once did my big toe rub against the safety toe and the made the boots themselves pretty damn comfortable.

Let's see how long this lasts; aside from that, thanks for all your suggestions! Mind you, I'm still looking for anymore advice that may be helpful.

Hope they work out for you. I am a big fan of Red Wing boots. I wear the 606 model and they great.

You could use some toe guards. http://www.wonderguards.com/

But it sounds like your boots are fitted improperly. I'd return them and a pair with a better fit. There is no secret trick that are going to make your uncomfortable boots all of a sudden fit better.

I have these same boots and you have bought some great boots!!

Actually, your mini-reviews of the boots in some of your posts was what prompted me to snatch them up when I saw them on the Red Wing truck. I did more research on them and it seems everyone is equally satisfied.

No more problems with the boots, gentlemen, the insoles are top-notch! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom