What's new

High Altitude New Guy

Hey all… Short time reader and first time poster. I thought I was insane trying to perfect my shave with my Mach 83 octuple blade or whatever the latest promise of the the perfect shave by Gillette or Schlick was and then some how or another I found B&B and DE Shaving. Ha! I'm not alone… now I wonder what the crazy people are doing.

Anyway… enough of my Mendoza induced attempt at humor. I've been doing this DE thing for about 3 weeks now and have spent, be it good or bad, about 3 hours total hitting B&B for insight… hell I had no idea how to mix up my soap let alone get the funk out of a new badger brush. So thanks for getting me out the door…. and thanks in advance for future insights.

Over the past three weeks I have run into a couple issues and learned a few things. I confess to not even knowing what I don't know at this point! I have been lucky with blade angle and can get close most of the time…. easy to learn hard to master I'd say. But none the less a presentable shave every time. I have only had a couple "bloodlettings" but in reality only small nicks. All have been in my chin, under nose and mouth area. For full disclosure I had a goatee for 20 years up until about a month ago… so I'll chalk those nicks up to inexperience shaving that area and to non-acclimated skin more so than the DE experience.

So lets talk about routine and issues/questions I have…

I typically do 2 passes each morning for my routine and that seems to work well. I shave WTG and my goal is blood free and presentable… not BBS (Yet). I have went thru 5 blades (I have no problem changing blades often… it's about quality of the shave not how long I can make a blade last to me). I have tried; Derby (okay), Windsor (NO!), Astra (okay) and Feather(Outstanding!) Blades. I know some will say stick with one brand for a while but c'mon… you know if it is right or not relatively quickly… like dates… some dates warrant a second date others you know it's not a match. So… after a few switches I am really happy with Feather and will "date" that for a while and see what happens.

After reading a few reviews on B&B I ordered Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood Shave Soap
and Tabac Shave Soap. I have ONLY used the GFT so far but now that I have a good feel on the blade I may make an exploratory move to the Tabac or D.R. Harris (Keep Reading for D.R. thoughts). My stumbling block right now is shaving soap and this is where I really need some insight (Read: HELP). I live at about 6,500' MSL so not nearly as much oxygen in the air and the humidity right now in my house is about 20% - on a good day. Getting good lather has been a bit of a challenge. I'm getting closer but have really had to increase the wetness of the brush and the amount of water I put on the soap just prior to mixing. I typically soak my brush in hot water while in the shower and also moisten my soap with "4 fingers" of water. Then hit the soap with more water before starting the mix. I get good lather, I think, and have plenty of it. My issue is by the time I reach the second half of my first shave I am starting to dry out already. If I speed up I get knicks… slow down and get even dryer. The second lathering and shave goes much quicker and I typically have no issues. If I increase the water in the soap I get bubbles instead of lather…. I recognize it is a balance issue between lather:water:timing but would really like some insight from some folks that are at higher altitudes and in aired climates. Those that have never spent anytime at altitude in a dry climate may not appreciate the unique challenges we face.

Now, beyond getting my DE apothecary right I'm pretty damn happy! My shaves feel great and I'm sure my wife notices the difference…. whether after 20+ years together she'll ever admit it or not… My next major phase in my DE phase is to create my "scent". I'm not really a fan of your scent entering the room before you do. I think less is more and heck, the closer "she" needs to get to me to verify that pleasant scent is from me the better. That said, I found the D. R. Harris Arlington product line and am going to give that a try, shaving soap and all. Unless… some fellow B&Bers steer me away from the D.R. Harris soap because of my altitude and humidity challenges and point me toward my reserve of Tabac instead.

I'm trying to avoid excessive AD but at the same time I am not afraid to experiment. I'm also a fan of the "buy right cry once" philosophy. Quality is important and comes at a price in my mind. As long as the product can back up the price I'm good. Buying a "name" without the quality to back it up is a waste.

Thanks for any insight, suggestions, comments, stock tips, jokes, wine (PIF: The Prisoner) or music tips (PIF: John Butler Trio).

Live While You Live!

Vicarious Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~

My current set up:

Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor Chrome Plated

Feather Blades

Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood Shave Soap on active duty and Tabac Soap in reserve.

Parker 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Chrome Handle Brush

Under serious consideration….

D. R. Harris Arlington Shave Soap, Aftershave, Cologne. (For a trial of the "personal scent" philosophy. Not really in to scents but this one seems mild but reportedly "memorable".)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would consider a razor blade sample pack.

Welcome! Good to hear about your high altitude adventures. About aftershaves... I wore them as a kid in the 60's, and am now experimenting more with after shave balms. I like the light scents. I also enjoy the scents of various soaps.

Welcome aboard B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

FWIW, I don't think your altitude has anything to do with the quality or longevity of your lather, but the humidity (or lack thereof) certainly can be a factor. I recommend you review the lathering wiki and tutorials (sorry I don't have the links). Practice and patience will get you the rest of the way there.

Welcome to B&B! I love to see that another person from Denver is on the forums! I have found that in this state moisturizer is key for me.

What is your moisture routine? And what part of Denver do you reside in? Im in Broomfield attending MSCD. :001_smile

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome aboard B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

FWIW, I don't think your altitude has anything to do with the quality or longevity of your lather, but the humidity (or lack thereof) certainly can be a factor. I recommend you review the lathering wiki and tutorials (sorry I don't have the links). Practice and patience will get you the rest of the way there.

It would be those

Lather:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

other interesting links:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Getting_started_wetshaving
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Holy Porcelain Shaving Mug! Look at all the kind replies. No one has told me to Google something or use the search feature yet (Hey Einstein if I knew where the "CURRENT" answers were I would have gone there already!).... There is actually good information and insight being exchanged without ego or judgement. Thanks! As an FNG I appreciate the respect and consideration!

I'm reading all of the replies and digging into the links. I'll post up some personal replies in a bit but wanted to say thanks in the interim for the kind feedback. Keep it coming!

Vicarious Lee

Great to have you here! We need more to help keep this tradition alive. Lots of good info on the wiki and posted guides for new people. I learned a lot from them. Members are great at answering specific questions as well.

I felt like I had landed in a sea of like minded people when I started. Glad to have you on board.

Welcome to B&B.

I live in the Denver Metro Area as well. As another member said, I don't think it's so much the altitude causing the dry lather as the humidity.

I've been DE/straight razor shaving for almost a year and 1/2 and I'm fairly quick with a DE but fairly slow with straights. If the lather is getting too dry I just re-apply fresh lather to the areas that I haven't touched yet on that pass and continue shaving. Better to have good lather and take your time than rush your shave and possibly nick yourself or to have dry lather that isn't providing the protection it should. Eventually your technique will improve and you'll get faster without compromising your shave.

Welcome!

I am also from Colorado (9000ft), and I have a lot of trouble getting shaving soap wet enough because of the dry climate. I found that adding some shaving cream (I use Kiss my Face) to the soap helps tremendously.

Top Bottom