What's new

The worst cologne you ever tried:

The lemon-scented Turkish kolonya smell like hand sanitiser, but I wear a tobacco-scented Turkish kolonya nearly every day. It's like Tabac, but a bit sweeter. I love it. I will join in the Joop hate however - truly terrible.

Florida Water. Nasty overtone, just a crappy scent.
I like the smell of Florida Water, and the cooling effect is quite good.

But every time I used it, it would give me some very vivid nightmares. The kind of dreams that would jolt me awake in a cold sweat. This happened every single time that I wore Florida Water.

Once I recognized the pattern, I discontinued using it, and the nightmares stopped.

I like the smell of Florida Water, and the cooling effect is quite good.

But every time I used it, it would give me some very vivid nightmares. The kind of dreams that would jolt me awake in a cold sweat. This happened every single time that I wore Florida Water.

Once I recognized the pattern, I discontinued using it, and the nightmares stopped.
Quite weird! I mix it with 4711 and wear it to bed and spray my pillow and our sheets with it. Now that you mention it, While I can't say I have had nightmares, I will say I have had some rather strange dreams.

I have an awful lot of colognes I've bought that I don't like or the wife doesn't like. Plenty of 4 oz bottles too. All used just a few times.

Any suggestions on what to do with them? Throw out. Sell on Ebay. Sell here on B&B. My problem with selling, is that I'd rather just make a big box and have someone pay me one time for them all.

Anything made by Coty, Dana or Avon is pretty much guaranteed to reek.

In the Pinaud range, Special Reserve is rank. It was even worse when it was called Napoleon.

Aramis, on the right person, can smell pretty average. But on 90% of its wearers, it's putrid. (I chuckle at the fact that it was Martin Luther King's favorite cologne.)

Cuba smells nothing like a good Cuban cigar, it smells like something Fidel Castro forgot to flush.

Anything you would find at a dollar store or flea market that says "In the tradition of:" on the label. Cool Water's pretty rough as it is, I don't need a knock off that smells even cheaper.

The Burger King cologne from a few years back smelled like burnt broomstraw.

The worst offenders to my nose as of the last few years have been these body sprays. Whether it's Axe, Bod, Old Spice or any of the other sprays that 14 year old boys bathe themselves in in lieu of showering, it has to stop. My sense of smell can't take it any longer.

I'm going to give Clubman another try, because I just bought a bottle and only used it once... but geezo. I know people love this stuff, but to me it just smells like the sort of thing that a low-grade pimp would have worn in 1975. Yick.

Oh dear sir, you are going to be in trouble around here

Anything made by Coty, Dana or Avon is pretty much guaranteed to reek.
With Avon colognes, the attraction was the bottle, not the cologne itself.

I have a couple of Avon bottles that were gifted to me. I opened them up and gave them a whiff and immediately decided "Nope, this isn't for me."

Avon collectors are quite passionate about getting each and every bottle design that fits a certain theme. They will go to great extremes and spend a lot of money to score an item that rounds out their collection. But none of them are buying Avon because they love the smell of the cologne.

Anything from a fashion house is liable to smell like crap.
Except for one Chanel cologne that cost 250 a pop. It's made out of natural ingredients, so it smells amazing.

I like my sweet godly smell of sandalwood...Makes every lady with in 3 feet of you fall in love with you. You can keep your dolce and banana.

Anything from a fashion house is liable to smell like crap.

Well, if "fashion house" only includes Calvin Klein, Diesel, Hugo Boss and Tommy Hilfiger, then I agree with you.
In my view there are, however, a good number of fashion houses that put out more good fragrances than poor ones, such as Dior, Hermes, YSL (though all their recent L'Homme flankers are pushing their win/loss ratio down), Chanel (their baseline as well as Les Exclusifs) and of course Comme des Garcons which, while their frags are more niche quality and style, is still a fashion house.

Except for one Chanel cologne that cost 250 a pop. It's made out of natural ingredients, so it smells amazing.

Which Chanel Les Exclusif is made of natural ingredients? I love my bottles of Coromandel and Sycomore more than most frags in my collection, but I didn't think they were made of naturals.
Fragrances consisting solely or primarily of natural ingredients tend not to have the strength I like in my fragrances, so I often steer clear.

Glenn perri's unpredictable night. Suppose to be a aventus copy and I was like hey what ever it's only 15 bucks. This fragrance is down right gross. I do get that aventus vibe but it's the most synthetic smelling fragrance ever. I feel like as if I sprayed on a chemical cleaner on me. It just sits on my fragrance shelf all the way to the bottom back. I wish I never bought this fragrance even for the 15 bucks. You want to interrogate someone. Spray this in the room they are in. It's tortuous.

Top Bottom