What's new

The worst cologne you ever tried:

I have to admit C&S Cuba is "difficult" at best, stale tobacco and swine poo, but I think it may have a competitor in Gris Clair, got my sample last week and ended up washing it off, didn't get much lavender, just a cloyingly sweet burning plastic note that hung around like crazy. I know others love both, but on me...yuk

Most recently it is A*Men. I have no idea how it is so popular. It smells like a hippie covered in cotton candy.

ha ha ha !!!!! :lol:

Question is, why are you smelling hippies??

"it's time for a good ol' fashion hippy whompping" said Chief Wigum

Last edited:
ha ha ha !!!!! :lol:

Question is, why are you smelling hippies??

"it's time for a good ol' fashion hippy whompping" said Chief Wigum

The overwhelming patchouli note takes me back to my concert security days. Nothing like being surrounded by 1000's of people at a hippie show trying to cover up their stink with buckets of patchouli.

Three pages and not a single mention of Axe (mind you, we're probably all wise enough to have known to avoid it! :lol:)

One other I'd put up there as a reminder from my youth, and another from Coty:
Adidas "Moves". Not sure what happened, but one day I thought it was great, and the next day it smelled like someone put some tabasco in a cologne bottle.

Lastly, as a matter of taste: Dolce & Gabbana - too much pepper/pine scent to it. It comes on VERY strong to me. While it might settle to a nice tone, it's just too much.

I have to admit C&S Cuba is "difficult" at best, stale tobacco and swine poo, but I think it may have a competitor in Gris Clair, got my sample last week and ended up washing it off, didn't get much lavender, just a cloyingly sweet burning plastic note that hung around like crazy. I know others love both, but on me...yuk

I hate most perfume, but I love your avatar.

This is classic B&B YMMV. We both dislike C&S Cuba but I like Gris Clair. When I wear Gris Clair to the office all the ladies comment how much they like this on me. It's all in the genes I guess!:001_smile

Yeah - I agree. Also, it gave my wife a headache which is undesirable on a number of levels....

The worst though, is an Avon product that my mother bought me when I was a teen (probably because it came in a bottle shaped like an old ship's cannon & she knew I liked stuff like that).

Anyway, last time I visited (She lives in England, I live in the US), I decided to try some for kicks. It was like Clubman amplified by 100! Super-sweet, flowery ickyness.

I guess that was the norm in the 70s?

It may have been Wild Country which is still made today although I think it's an aftershave vs. a cologne.

It may have been Wild Country which is still made today although I think it's an aftershave vs. a cologne.

I picked up a bottle of Avon Wild Country Cologne a few weeks ago (it's available as both an AS and Cologne) and thought it was pretty nice for an inexpensive fragrance. My wife disagreed...quite emphatically! I probably won't drag that bottle out of the cabinet for a while...or maybe just splash it on on my way out the door! :001_rolle

Grey Flannel, Halston Z-14, and Azzaro Chrome are truly awful. While Coty makes a few decent scents, overall a lot of their stuff is mediocre at best.

Really? Too bad. Absolutely one of my all-time favorites from back in the day. I love the scent and find it hypnotic and so does my girlfriend - so much so she gave it to me for Christmas. I think it's a classic and a go-to must-have.

Kouros.

Smells like the "squeezings" out of a urinal cake.

In hindsight I should have known my girlfriend was about to break up with me when she bought me a BIG bottle of this stuff. She and her cousin would tell me how "hot" it was and then giggle. :sneaky2:

Grey Flannel, Halston Z-14, and Azzaro Chrome are truly awful. While Coty makes a few decent scents, overall a lot of their stuff is mediocre at best.

Man, this thread - so many that I champion fair so badly....Z-14, Grey Flannel, even Clubman fer gods' sake! I LOVE THOSE!

Seriously - you want the WORST STANK OF ALL TIME? Aramis.

Smells exactly like some unholy tryst between car exhaust, stale poker night cigarette and/or cigar smoke and unwashed undershirt funk rolled into one massively potent, clear-out-the-room atomic blast. AVOID UNLESS YOU ARE:
- too busy working the ponies out at the track trying to win your belongings back
- planning to test out that mail-order iron lung in your basement (at last!)
- living out your Plan B years in some fleabag hotel in a major metropolitan area

Top Bottom