What's new

Real Draft Root Beer

Found Sprecher's being sold locally draft, not reconstituded syrup and co2 water, any other root beer sold in this fashion?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Many of the Amish nearby make home made rootbeer and sell it from their farms or at a nearby market by the glass or jug.

Their recipe is basically water, yeast, sugar and rootbeer extract (sometimes a few raisins). It has a nice light flavor and carbonation but has a limited shelf life. Because of the yeast there is a limit to how much you may wish to drink in a day........we call it bellyache beer :blushing:

Good stuff and cheap too.

Tony

Ive also had a local brewpub made draft rootbeer. Ive also seen Virgils rootbeer on tap from a real keg, although I cant remember where. Ive also made it before, but never made enough of it to keg it.

I love rootbeer. It is about the only soft drink I can tolerate. I have maybe six bottles per year. Of the commercial brands I like Barqs. However, since the OP referenced draught rootbeer I have to reply... I would really like to try some!

I know in the old days that Sassafras root was used extensively in rootbeer. Right up till it was discovered to be a carcinogen. And from what I gather this is not even debatable. It is a proven carcinogen. It was banned from food stuffs nearly six or seven decades ago if I am reading things correctly. I only bring it up because when we lived in Missouri this friend of the family showed me what Sassafras was and how to make tea from it. And what a tea it makes. It is naturally very sweet and has a pale red colour to it. I probably made five or six cups of the stuff and enjoyed every drop. However, had I known its dubious demeanour, I would have avoided it. I can see why it was added to early rootbeer. It has a certain "something" that really adds to the flavour. I wonder if there is a suitable substitute used in modern rootbeer?

Regards, Todd

not 100% on this being produced the way you specify but the Rouge root beer is fantastic, if you're ever in newport get some fresh

I got some Amish root beer while at a camping ground visited by an Amish farmer selling pies and other baked goods. I thought it had a bit of alcohol in it. While it was very good - it gave me a bit of a headache. :blushing:

Many of the Amish nearby make home made rootbeer and sell it from their farms or at a nearby market by the glass or jug.

Their recipe is basically water, yeast, sugar and rootbeer extract (sometimes a few raisins). It has a nice light flavor and carbonation but has a limited shelf life. Because of the yeast there is a limit to how much you may wish to drink in a day........we call it bellyache beer :blushing:

Good stuff and cheap too.

Tony

Top Bottom