What's new

I too am trying to make my own brush.

The rub is that I only have a drill press and don't want to invest in a lathe.

I saw an article about making a pen on a drill press and wondered how I would go about "turning" a brush handle.

thanks

If you go to the golden nib and look at their instructions they sell an arbor that makes it possible to "turn" handles on a drill press or with a power drill in a fixture. A bit slower I am sure but functional non the less.

Yo Hex
Have you ever thought about making your brush out of antler? It's totally unique and not that difficult to do. I use Elk, Whitetail, Muley etc. Pick a piece of antler you like, saw, drill, sand/shape (you can get those drum sanders that fit drillpresses) then use Marine epoxy to set the knot. After that use a good polyurethane to seal it up and impart some shine and you're good to go. They work really well. I use TGN knots myself.

I did this

proxy.php

on an oscillating spindle sander with rasps, files and chisels.

proxy.php

Inspired by melyus here, I decided to try a freehand brush handle with a pool ball I had lying around.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just started this evening with the dremel, hacking it into a basic shape and now I'm filing with a nail file into proper shape. The 11 is the base and there will be a butterscotch ring around the knot at the top. Lots of work left to do. And yes, it was orange on the outside but pink right under the surface. I guess I'm going to have a pink brush. :001_unsur I was kinda looking forward to orange.

Guys, these are amazing ideas.

I had not considered horn/antlers, and since my wife is Asian, she can use the powder to make me an aphrodesiac cocktail. (pun intended) :thumbup1:

I am very impressed with what y'all have done, especially with the pool ball.

Ingenious.

Now it's time to get to work and make my 30mm monster.

I bought a bunch of cheap pen blanks to practice on, figuring that I would ruin quite a few before I got the hang of it. Now if it would only warm up so I could get out into the garage.

27f today in Houston.

Top Bottom