What's new

Newb pipe smoker needs suggestions!

Howdy folks.

I just got a MM cob diplomat and I love it! Needless to say PAD is kicking in.

For my next pipe, I am thinking either a savinelli briar or a meerschaum lined briar.

Any thoughts on the meerschaum lined pipes? Any makers I should look to?

SMS makes some nice meerschaums, I haven't had any experience with lined briars. Peterson, Savinelli, Nording all are fine pipes to start off with, they have lower end pipes that you can find for under $100.00. There are so many to choose from, from so many different makers, it's hard to say. If you have a local shop go in and handle a few and get a feel for what you like. Personally I like to be able to see the drilling of the bowl and shank before I purchase a pipe. I have seen quite a few poorly drilled Savinellis, and Nordings at my local shop that they were still asking top dollar for. Happy hunting.

Newer meer lined briar are often made from compressed meerschaum as opposed to block meerschaum. Unless they are clearly marked block meerschaum avoid them. Most all meerschaum pipes are block meerschaum. compressed meer doesn't have the same smoking characteristics and is to be avoided. I think you'll be pleased with either a decent meer or briar. Briar is easier to maintain but meer can smoke more often so there are trade-offs, depending on your personal preference. I have Savinelli, Nording, Peterson's, and SMS block meerschaum pipes that are within the same budget and all are good smokers.

+1 I would stay away from meer lined briars. Either look into a pure block meer or a briar. I would recommend going with a briar. As others have said Peterson, savinelli, and nording have really good mid-level pipes around the $80-100 mark. Peterson has a really great variety and nordings are just nice quality pipes...if you are willing to spend a little more look into nordings hunter series..there are some beautiful pipes in that line.

As some of the other gents have said its always best to purchase a pipe you can see before hand. You want to look to see the hole inside the bowl is centered with the shank. If you don't have a local tobacconist and the internet is your best bet check out cupojoes.com they have a great selection at fair prices. Good luck.

All those are reputable and will offer good pipes. Check out meerschuammerchant.com and meerschuammarket.com
Both have a great selection of meer pipes and they get them straight from master carvers in turkey where the best block meerschuam comes from.

All those are reputable and will offer good pipes. Check out meerschuammerchant.com and meerschuammarket.com
Both have a great selection of meer pipes and they get them straight from master carvers in turkey where the best block meerschuam comes from.

The links didn't like to cut and past for me so here are the full links.

http://meerschaummerchant.com/default.aspx

http://www.meerschaummarket.com/servlet/StoreFront

I have a Mesut floral 1/4 bent prince that I use for G&H Dark Flake scented that I have been very happy with.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Howdy folks.

I just got a MM cob diplomat and I love it! Needless to say PAD is kicking in.

For my next pipe, I am thinking either a savinelli briar or a meerschaum lined briar.

Any thoughts on the meerschaum lined pipes? Any makers I should look to?

Try a few more MM's. I like the ones with a flat bottom so it can sit on a table.

The links didn't like to cut and past for me so here are the full links.

http://meerschaummerchant.com/default.aspx

http://www.meerschaummarket.com/servlet/StoreFront

I have a Mesut floral 1/4 bent prince that I use for G&H Dark Flake scented that I have been very happy with.

very nice....I just recently acquired a mesut nautical bent. It is an amazing piece and the bowl is huge! I've been waiting for a special occasion and the right blend to enjoy my first smoke and work on breaking it in.

Savinelli has a really good introductory line of pipes called the Duca Carlo line. That was my first real non cob/basket pipe. They are less than $50. It is in my rotation as I smoke it several times a week.

Savinelli makes fine pipes and you won't be disappointed. I'm not too keen on the 9mm filter but I suspect that's as controversial as whether or not you like the scent of Tabac. :001_smile

Level 2 of the pipe pyramid:

Stanwell - Savinelli - Peterson - Butz Choquin

Good estates in this range: Charatan - Larsen - Nording - Mastro de Paja - Caminetto

I'd throw Comoy/GBD in this category but they are somewhat collectible as estates and often rise to level 3 in price.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the input! I stopped by a local tobacconist and spent an hour chatting and browsing pipes!

I really liked a savinelli trevi bent billiard, but I ended up buying a SMS meerschaum calabash shaped pipe!

It was an impulse buy, but I am excited to smoke it tomorrow. I will report back my impressions!

Top Bottom