What's new

I guess hair really *is* hair: dumb trick to revive an old badger knot

I bought an old butterscotch Stag planning to replace the knot with a TGN Finest. When I got the old brush in the mail, its knot was a beautiful, high loft, a little yellowed with age, but nicely shaped. It must have really been a fine brush when made. I *really* wanted to save that knot. The hairs were brittle, though. A few snapped just from brushing it across my hand.

Sitting on the sink edge was a bottle of conditioner. WTH, you know? Hair is hair. And I had nothing to lose; I was prepared to replace the knot anyway. So I saturated the knot with conditioner, and let it sit overnight.

In the morning, I rinsed out the conditioner, gave it a quick wash with Dove dish soap, and it was like new. Soft, silky, not at all brittle. Nearly the equal of a Rooney. And it lathered wonderfully.

After about ten uses, the knot started to seem a bit dry, not bad, but I repeated the procedure anyway. It has been fine since, and I'm about fifteen uses on.

I don't know whether this would work for anyone else, or how long the effect lasts. But since it's essentially free, and I don't see how it could hurt, you lose nothing by trying it. After all, hair is hair:biggrin1:

Thanks for the tip. I have an old Everready that I'd like to try this on, but the brush sheds just looking at it. That one might have to be a restore.

Another thanks for the tip.

I tried something similar with a restore and though it was usable, the knot had lost so many hairs that it essentially had no density and flopped all over the place.

I am curious to see how yours holds up.

Another thanks for the tip.

I tried something similar with a restore and though it was usable, the knot had lost so many hairs that it essentially had no density and flopped all over the place.

I am curious to see how yours holds up.

I'm not really sure what the "natural" state of the old Stag brush was, whether it was always soft, or whether it was stiffer when new and the conditioner made it soft. All I can tell you is that in this particular case, I ended up with a nice-feeling but soft brush, that is great for creams but not so much for soaps. I may replace the knot in the long run anyway, since I like them somewhat stiffer (like a Simpsons Best), but it's an interesting experiment.

Top Bottom