What's new

Brush Recommendations?

Brand new guy here with a brush question:
I have been using an old Gillette Slim with Proraso soap for many years now and just recently settled in on Feather blades. My brush is a Merkur Futur that I got a few years back as part of a gift set (retired the razor) and my travel brush is an Old Original Super Badger. Pretty bland stuff judging by the postings.
I like ther Merkur's stiffness and the Super Badger's quality. Any recommendations for a new brush based on such vague criteria?
Thanks!

Many thanks for the quick responses!
I apologize in advance for the newbee question, but is the Merkur Futur brush a boar brush?

Hard to beat a Simpson Duke in best.

I couldn't agree more. I had a super badger brush, and then added a duke 2 in best and really like it a lot. Nice backbone, but still soft. Great face latherer. I also really like my two band that I had made by Rudy vey here on the forum. The knot came from TGN and I find myself reaching for that one almost more than the duke.

Try the Rooney 1/1 Silver Tip. 22mm knot with 45mm loft, dense knot with good backbone a soft tips. Great with soaps and face lathering.

Do you bowl or face lather? How much were you looking to spend? That might help us narrow things down. My gut reaction is to suggest getting something that is a departure from what you have already, possibly a two band, boar hair brush, or even just a short scrubby three band/silvertip. However with more info from you, we could come up with something more taller suited to your needs.

Many thanks again for the expert advice!
The big reveal: I have been DE shaving for many years thinking the only technology that mattered was the blade and its holder. The brush was simply a matter of luxury and how much one was willing to spend.
I bowl lather when at home and hand lather when traveling, of course I have no idea what is correct or most efficient because, again, the brush is subordinate to the rest of the process. Now, I'm beginning to re-think this entire ritual.
My current home game is Proraso (white) with Merkur Futur brush and away game with Tabac in a tube with a too-soft English Super Badger travel brush.
I'm looking forward to experimenting with a new found open book on brushes and perhaps soaps, so any suggestions will be greatly welocme!

Top Bottom