What's new

Set bevel with 1k or 600 DMT

I'm wondering if there is a difference in the overall refinement of an edge if I set the bevel with a coarser grade hone first.
Lets say I'm using a 1k Nani to set a bevel, then I follow a particular progression over higher grits until the blade is 'done'.
Now lets say I had a second yet identical blade to hone and I started that one off on a 600 DMT, then moved to the 1k and followed the same progression of grits as above.
Would there be a difference in the final edge due to starting at 600 grit?
For the sake of discussion, both blades are new, without weirdness or problems, exactly the same, all strokes and passes are identical with the exception of starting one blade with a lower grit.

The only problem with beginning with something under a 1K is that the scratches the 600 leave behind will mean more work with the 1.2k to remove the scratch pattern.

I don't think the final edge would be any different, provided you spend more time removing the scratches from the 600. I don't know if I'd go lower than my 1.2k DMT if there weren't any chips or anything that needed honing out.

The only problem with beginning with something under a 1K is that the scratches the 600 leave behind will mean more work with the 1.2k to remove the scratch pattern.

Makes sense.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Top Bottom