What's new

One Month In- Status Report and Questions

Hello B&Bers!
I've been eyeing the world of traditional shaving for some time and last month for my birthday, my lovely girlfriend got me a whole bunch of assorted products to get me started.

Merkur 38C
WCS Razor Blade Sampler
Shulton Old Spice Cream
Cyril B Salter Sandalwood cream
Omega Synthetic Brush ( She's a veggie and I prefer to avoid animal products whenever possible)

I had some thoughts on my experience and some questions.

So far I've had nothing but successful shaves, with the exception of my 2 attempts with feather blades. No matter how much attention I paid to pressure and angle, they either cut me something fierce or gave be wicked razor burn. I think I'm going to stick to the Red IPs and the Astra SP for use in my Merkur. So far I've had no problems getting a great lather everytime. And I take careful steps for my Prep.

I can get BBS everytime on my cheek, but I'm still having trouble on my neck and under my jaw. I can get all the visible stubble no problem, but a little patchiness in feel remains. I am sure that more practice and improvements in technique will solve this issue. But any specific suggestions would be great.

I can tell that I'm already going to fall prey to some ADs as with any of my other hobbies:lol: I've already purchased some Tabac soap, which performed amazingly, and I think I like it more than the 2 creams I've tried. More experimentation will be necessary.

Probably jumping the gun on getting a new razor, but I just bought a 1973 Super Adjustable, as the mechanics of it and the adjustibility interested me. Is it okay to start messing around witha different razor or should I wait a bit. Either way, whats the best way to play around with an adjustable to help ease the transition?

Thanks for reading folks!

The key for me in difficult areas is to use some kind of slicing motion instead of moving the blade straight ahead. I like to use arcs, but a j-hook curve or Gillette slide also work.

Of course, preparation and angle is very important, and a bit of skin stretching--not too much--helps, while extremely light pressure is even more important. With the Merkur, I find it best to go for a more aggressive rather than a gentler angle, by which I mean it should feel closest to a straight razor. Alternatively, I'd switch to a Tech for a gentler approach.

For some people, particularly newbies, this is no doubt a recipe for serious rash, but it's an alternative worth trying. I'll leave the gentler approaches to more mainstream folks.

Partial quote:

I can get BBS everytime on my cheek, but I'm still having trouble on my neck and under my jaw. I can get all the visible stubble no problem, but a little patchiness in feel remains. I am sure that more practice and improvements in technique will solve this issue. But any specific suggestions would be great.

Probably jumping the gun on getting a new razor, but I just bought a 1973 Super Adjustable, as the mechanics of it and the adjustibility interested me. Is it okay to start messing around witha different razor or should I wait a bit. Either way, whats the best way to play around with an adjustable to help ease the transition?

It sounds like you are off to a great start. You are correct in assuming that your shaves will improve with more practice.

I think the best way to approach an adjustable razor is to start with a mild setting. Shave until you are satisfied that your results are as good as they can be at that setting. Then adjust it to the next (more aggressive) setting and try again. And, so on.

Keep in mind that the point of using an adjustable is not to see how aggressive a setting you can stand, but to use the most mild setting possible while still getting a great shave.

Also, some adjustable users employ different settings for different parts of their face and/or use different settings for different passes. Do what ever works best for you.

I'll pass on a piece of advice that was given to me by an experienced member: don't chase BBS! It sounds like you're not really doing that yet, just resist, it will come, my shaves get better weekly! daily!

Thanks for the replies! I'm striving not to push it each shave. If I'm sensing irritation or anything I try to step back and reevaluate what Im doing as to not cause any damage that might set me back.

One other thing I've noticed is that I can really only get 2 shaves out of a blade before I get too much tugging and pulling. My beard has always been thick and coarse though. With carts I was lucky if I could get 3 comfortable shaves out of it.

I've also started using witch hazel twice a day as an aftershave and a general toner and this has helped my skin a lot.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
the key for me in difficult areas is to use some kind of slicing motion instead of moving the blade straight ahead. I like to use arcs, but a j-hook curve or gillette slide also work.

Of course, preparation and angle is very important, and a bit of skin stretching--not too much--helps, while extremely light pressure is even more important. With the merkur, i find it best to go for a more aggressive rather than a gentler angle, by which i mean it should feel closest to a straight razor. Alternatively, i'd switch to a tech for a gentler approach.

For some people, particularly newbies, this is no doubt a recipe for serious rash, but it's an alternative worth trying. I'll leave the gentler approaches to more mainstream folks.

+1

It sounds like you are off to a great start. You are correct in assuming that your shaves will improve with more practice.

I think the best way to approach an adjustable razor is to start with a mild setting. Shave until you are satisfied that your results are as good as they can be at that setting. Then adjust it to the next (more aggressive) setting and try again. And, so on.

Keep in mind that the point of using an adjustable is not to see how aggressive a setting you can stand, but to use the most mild setting possible while still getting a great shave.

Also, some adjustable users employ different settings for different parts of their face and/or use different settings for different passes. Do what ever works best for you.

This can be especially helpful when it comes to some areas of your face where hair direction can change drastically. The jawline can be rough, too if you aren't able to bullfrog your face into flatness. Being able to adjust settings midshave is great when you want to get close, but also avoid the irritation.

Since you said you are having some issue with the jawline and a little patchiness, I would suggest getting to know your face really well. What direction do the hair grow in? How thick is that hair coming in? Where can I keep a good angle on my jaw? These are good questions to ask yourself if you want the best shave possible. Your first pass should probably be WTG, removing much of your hair. That way, your XTG and ATG passes have a lower chance of tugging at a hair your cutting in a weird direction, therefore helping reduce irritation.

Welcome aboard!

While you are new and still improving your technique, I would stick with one familiar razor. When you do start with the adjustable, begin with the mildest comfortable setting and proceed upwards slowly.

Top Bottom